Check your account email address ×

RIP Evinrude Outboards

2 hours ago, jammin said:

Very similar sir. Had my grandfather's 1961 Merc 500. Like a dummy I sold it. Moved on to a 72 20 horse then a 9.8 and 18 XD and a 150 xr6. In my veins for sure. My neighbors dad worked with Carl when Merc was just starting up. She tells a great story . Have you read the book The Legend of Mercury?  Very good read.  

:lol: 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

You ever go to the Keikhafer Museum there? In Peebles.

Yep.  I forgot the town it was in but knew it was up near the ledge.

Just now, Matt said:

Yep.  I forgot the town it was in but knew it was up near the ledge.

I spent many days in the area, always liked Fond Du Lac County, did a small tour of Merc, at least what the would allow you to see.

Taycheeda was amusing..lol

43 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Not me. No way would I choose an OMC sterndrive over a Merc. A Merc is way more popular with a way bigger dealer network. And way easier to get parts for. A Merc IO has to be 10 times more common than an OMC. I see more Volvo sterndrives than OMC. 

Pretty sure he was talking outboards and I agree with him. Up until fuel injected 2 stroke outboards Johnson and Evinrude were the most reliable.

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

lol my pontoon we sold last yr still had the  original 60 force crazy thing is in over 25 yrs zero issues 

Those Chrysler/Force outboards where either really good or really really bad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Big Crappie said:

Pretty sure he was talking outboards and I agree with him. Up until fuel injected 2 stroke outboards Johnson and Evinrude were the most reliable.

Those 90 degree V Evinrudes and Johnsons in the 80s and early 90s were junk next to the 60 degree Mercs of the era.  We had many of both in our family.  Our 1988 Merc 175 was the best of the bunch.  It's still running strong for the family we sold it to.  Only issue we ever had with it were a couple of seals on the power trim.  The running quality of this thing once you learned the startup procedure was like an electric motor.  Thing would never load up, foul plugs, and sounded divine at full whack when trimmed out.  Crazy fun boat to drive, and outstanding slalom and barefoot wakes.

1907534284_IMG_20160831_093521_012.jpg.2

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Not me. No way would I choose an OMC sterndrive over a Merc. A Merc is way more popular with a way bigger dealer network. And way easier to get parts for. A Merc IO has to be 10 times more common than an OMC. I see more Volvo sterndrives than OMC. 

omg cobra Volvo same thing.  lime I said for your average family Larson or glastron chriscraft etc etc 16 to 24 foot er with a low power v8 v6 or 4 banger the Volvo/ omc cobra is way better than the junk merc they toss on the same boat .

now we start talking performance boat or any boat that gets out of starter pier packages I would go merc . hence why I said average family boat 

56 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Volvo bought OMC's stern drive business if i remember correctly.  the SX drive was basically the OMC 

Not sure about the more recent Mercruiser marinization and outdrives, but we also had a 1985 Four Winns with a 5.0 Mercruiser.  That's also still going strong.  My uncle owns it.  Other than sloppy shifting, the drive has been stout.

1 hour ago, AKIQPilot said:

When I bought my tri-toon 3 years ago it came with a 150 Evinrude. It's been a very reliable engine. Hopefully nothing goes wrong with it. If it does I see lots $$$$ to a 250 Merc upgrade. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Is this really a hill you want to die on??

I just made a simple factual statement and then posted documentation to verify it. 

:dunno:

Those numbers include Asia and the rest or the world which is probably 98% Jap :dunno:

34 minutes ago, Matt said:

Those 90 degree V Evinrudes and Johnsons in the 80s and early 90s were junk next to the 60 degree Mercs of the era.  We had many of both in our family.  Our 1988 Merc 175 was the best of the bunch.  It's still running strong for the family we sold it to.  Only issue we ever had with it were a couple of seals on the power trim.  The running quality of this thing once you learned the startup procedure was like an electric motor.  Thing would never load up, foul plugs, and sounded divine at full whack when trimmed out.  Crazy fun boat to drive, and outstanding slalom and barefoot wakes.

1907534284_IMG_20160831_093521_012.jpg.2

The 90 degree V4s were ok but thirsty pigs. They were cross scavenged too. The newer 60 degree V4 that came out in the mid 90s was much better and is loop charged. Ground up redesign using lost foam casting techniques and other improved manufacturing tech of the time. I have a 115 Johnson fast strike and it’s a great motor. I’d take it over the 2+2 Merc design of the era. :bc: 

the 2.0, 2.4, and 2.5 V6 Merc’s were and are great engines for the most part. I’d take those over an OMC equivalent 100% of the time. 

Edited by thewayout

25 minutes ago, thewayout said:

85-88? No xr4? Base model 150 smh. 

:bc: 

On a lightweight boat, that 2.0L 150 could really romp.  It was rev happy.  The XR4 at 2.4L was better as the boat got heavier.  165HP and more torque but wasn't a happy little revver.  I could go down a serious Merc outboard web research rabbit hole if I'm not careful.  Back to work!  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

I had an OMC in my Liberator and yeah parts can be an issue as well as trying to find a good tech and they are definitely not the same as a Volvo Penta like someone mentioned. 

21 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

In this area we have 100's of Lakes and wife & I are on many each year, it is somewhat rare to see many Yamaha's, see mostly Merc's and a few Honda's.

Aren't you from Wisconsin where merc's are made? :lol: 

I see by far more yamahas than anything else, except for bass boats which most have Merc's. And when I go to the coast it's like 50:1 Yamaha.

21 hours ago, thewayout said:

Mercury is the market leader

I recently read that Yamaha has 40% market share, so there's no way Merc has more than that.

30 minutes ago, rump-rider said:

I see by far more yamahas than anything else, except for bass boats which most have Merc's. And when I go to the coast it's like 50:1 Yamaha.

I recently read that Yamaha has 40% market share, so there's no way Merc has more than that.

Drools brand bias is at Arctic cat rider levels.  Next he will tell us harley makes the best motorcycles

Edited by Angry ginger

1 hour ago, rump-rider said:

I'm not so sure why where something is made would be a reason to see more of anything regardless of what it is, it's the same price wherever you shop, people purchase items which they like and have good luck with, if they have poor luck they would purchase something else next time..I've always been that way, if I buy something and get stung I move on and buy another brand.

Edited by XCR1250

5 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Volvo bought OMC's stern drive business if i remember correctly.  the SX drive was basically the OMC 

yep in fact the last 3 or 4 yrs of the cobra was called cobra sx all they did was swap name plates 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I had an OMC in my Liberator and yeah parts can be an issue as well as trying to find a good tech and they are definitely not the same as a Volvo Penta like someone mentioned. 

You had the original Cobra drive the later unit (the SX drive) was a collaboration between Volvo and OMC. Both companies had plants making the same drive but it turns out the OMC units were more reliable than the Volvo units made in Sweden go figure.