Check your account email address ×

RIP Evinrude Outboards

4 hours ago, Matt said:

On a lightweight boat, that 2.0L 150 could really romp.  It was rev happy.  The XR4 at 2.4L was better as the boat got heavier.  165HP and more torque but wasn't a happy little revver.  I could go down a serious Merc outboard web research rabbit hole if I'm not careful.  Back to work!  lol

You have to look at v6 mercs like golf clubs. They are all clubs but with a slightly different purposes. That is why I have a dozen or so V6 Mercs around the house.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CheezusXR8 said:

Who wins in a fight, YS or YD’sBF? 

YS is kind of a bitch but he’s athletic and pretty big.....YD is hot so I’d imagine her BF is capable although I think she probably likes to get over on dudes so maybe he’s a little bitch too.......JAMMIN FOR THE WIN!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, CheezusXR8 said:

Who wins in a fight, YS or YD’sBF? 

YS is kind of a bitch but he’s athletic and pretty big.....YD is hot so I’d imagine her BF is capable although I think she probably likes to get over on dudes so maybe he’s a little bitch too.......JAMMIN FOR THE WIN!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, thewayout said:

85-88? No xr4? Base model 150 smh. 

:bc: 

88 you are correct.  Just what it came with had over 1000 hours with almost no motor work.  Some minor electrical parts and swapped the cable steering for hydraulic :bc: 

• Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

You had the original Cobra drive the later unit (the SX drive) was a collaboration between Volvo and OMC. Both companies had plants making the same drive but it turns out the OMC units were more reliable than the Volvo units made in Sweden go figure.

Ahhh got ya....I liked the boat and it ran well but it had some shifting issues which were common from what I read. 

15 hours ago, Matt said:

On a lightweight boat, that 2.0L 150 could really romp.  It was rev happy.  The XR4 at 2.4L was better as the boat got heavier.  165HP and more torque but wasn't a happy little revver.  I could go down a serious Merc outboard web research rabbit hole if I'm not careful.  Back to work!  lol

The main reason for buying an XR4 was to get the optional small diamiter gearcase. The irony of course is that the small case did not work well on the bass boats of the time.

2 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

The main reason for buying an XR4 was to get the optional small diamiter gearcase. The irony of course is that the small case did not work well on the bass boats of the time.

Knock on wood my 150 regular black max revved high and ran well no issues other than a stator and maintenance items.  It has the snot ran out of it for years and worked well even with out removing the oil injection tho that seems more common in the Gen 1 vro omc motors. 

11 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Knock on wood my 150 regular black max revved high and ran well no issues other than a stator and maintenance items.  It has the snot ran out of it for years and worked well even with out removing the oil injection tho that seems more common in the Gen 1 vro omc motors. 

A friend of mine bought a brand new 2.0 150 Merc back in 1987 to use the powerhead on a st120 class race boat. The ST 120 class was the same boat as the champ boats just with a stock motor. He ran it for 6 years without having to open the case or even take off the heads. Pretty common for those engines to spin 8k or above on the straights. After 6 years he pulled the powerhead off the race boat and put it back on the original mid section which had never been out of the crate. The engine was bolted to his pontoon boat which he ran for a dozen years before giving it to his son.....engine was never taken apart.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

You had the original Cobra drive the later unit (the SX drive) was a collaboration between Volvo and OMC. Both companies had plants making the same drive but it turns out the OMC units were more reliable than the Volvo units made in Sweden go figure.

I,ve got a Volvo Penta SX outdrive on my mint condition 96 U-17. It works awesome. The only thing I don,t like about it is the clunk when I put it into gear. I kinda wish it would go in smother, without the clunk. I use synthetic oil in the outdrive. I was told by a couple of different marine mechanics that it is the nature of the beast, and not to worry about it. 

7 minutes ago, Frostynuts said:

I,ve got a Volvo Penta SX outdrive on my mint condition 96 U-17. It works awesome. The only thing I don,t like about it is the clunk when I put it into gear. I kinda wish it would go in smother, without the clunk. I use synthetic oil in the outdrive. I was told by a couple of different marine mechanics that it is the nature of the beast, and not to worry about it. 

They are good units.....under worked and over paid in that little boat.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

A friend of mine bought a brand new 2.0 150 Merc back in 1987 to use the powerhead on a st120 class race boat. The ST 120 class was the same boat as the champ boats just with a stock motor. He ran it for 6 years without having to open the case or even take off the heads. Pretty common for those engines to spin 8k or above on the straights. After 6 years he pulled the powerhead off the race boat and put it back on the original mid section which had never been out of the crate. The engine was bolted to his pontoon boat which he ran for a dozen years before giving it to his son.....engine was never taken apart.

Nice.  They seem to be decent motors for durability.   It really loved oil but I saw that as a good thing.   I usually ran a little bit of seafoam in it as well and only non eth gas. 

1 minute ago, Kev144 said:

Nice.  They seem to be decent motors for durability.   It really loved oil but I saw that as a good thing.   I usually ran a little bit of seafoam in it as well and only non eth gas. 

150 is such a bitch level of hp

Just now, Carlos Danger said:

150 on a Viper with me at the helm and you would scream like a little girl. Poop would come out.

Is there a class I can take about properly piloting an over powered pad vee? I think I need a hydrostream with a 300x 

21 minutes ago, f7ben said:

150 is such a bitch level of hp

Maybe so but the boat being very light it could still do about 70 mph for the 4500 usd I paid for it.  

3 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Maybe so but the boat being very light it could still do about 70 mph for the 4500 usd I paid for it.  

Holy shit....70 is pretty damn fast

4 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

You better stick with snowmobiles boats are to much for you.

I think I could perfect an Allison or Stream in an afternoon with my skills!!!

3 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Yes I am sure that is what your tombstone would say.

I’m guessing it’s pretty easy....just gotta stay in it and giver!! 

10 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Holy shit....70 is pretty damn fast

The newer molds sold to tempest I believe would have 200s on them for around 80.  Don't necessarily need a "big" motor :bc: I would not be shocked if my charger DL was about 800 pounds if that. 

3 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

The newer molds sold to tempest I believe would have 200s on them for around 80.  Don't necessarily need a "big" motor :bc: I would not be shocked if my charger DL was about 800 pounds if that. 

So you have an STV hull charger?