Check your account email address ×

RIP Evinrude Outboards

BRP killed off Johnson in 2007 and announced the death of Evinrude and E-Tec outboards today.  Kinda sad really.

BRP is focusing their marine division on boat production rather than engines, and has inked a deal with Mercury to supply power for their boats.  Never would have guessed in a million years that'd happen when I was younger.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/05/27/2039793/0/en/BRP-Advances-Marine-Strategy-by-Focusing-on-Boats-and-New-Technologies.html

Edited by Matt
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Yamaha has a huge share of the outboard motor market...

In this area we have 100's of Lakes and wife & I are on many each year, it is somewhat rare to see many Yamaha's, see mostly Merc's and a few Honda's.

6000 laid off from boing today , closures and bankruptcies and layoffs everywhere

we haven’t even begun to scratch the surface of defaults and bk yet

dont worry though....snakes 401k is no positive 1.2% for the year and it only cost us 10 trillion dollars

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Matt said:

BRP killed off Johnson in 2007 and announced the death of Evinrude and E-Tec outboards today.  Kinda sad really.

BRP is focusing their marine division on boat production rather than engines, and has inked a deal with Mercury to supply power for their boats.  Never would have guessed in a million years that'd happen when I was younger.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/05/27/2039793/0/en/BRP-Advances-Marine-Strategy-by-Focusing-on-Boats-and-New-Technologies.html

That's really sad. The unbelievably horrible looks of the new Evinrudes and the old Ficht branding finally killed them. They couldn't shake it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Doos said:

Merc has a huge advantage. Rarely see Yammi’s

I see more Yammi’s in the salt water. Not sure why that is. :dunno: 

58 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

we're they shit like  doo 800 shit ? 

I assume so but have no idea just don't see many . 

Heard lately they almost can't give the things away. That's the nail in the 2 stroke outboard coffin. 

According to Yamaha, and other sources they have about a 40% share of the outboard motor market. Yamaha claims they are #1 in outboard motors (as of 2016).

40% would be considered a huge share for one company I would think...

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/ir/integrated-report/annual2016/performance.html

https://www.statista.com/statistics/605040/yamaha-outboard-motors-worldwide-unit-sales/

Edited by Phoenix

1 hour ago, Phoenix said:

According to Yamaha, and other sources they have about a 40% share of the outboard motor market. Yamaha claims they are #1 in outboard motors (as of 2016).

40% would be considered a huge share for one company I would think...

https://global.yamaha-motor.com/ir/integrated-report/annual2016/performance.html

https://www.statista.com/statistics/605040/yamaha-outboard-motors-worldwide-unit-sales/

It is unusual to see Yami's here, the Lake we frequent the most is the 3rd. Largest Lake in Wisconsin and if we see 1 or 2 a day it's rare. 1 of the dozens of Fishing guides I know has a 150 Yami on a Skeeter.

1 minute ago, XCR1250 said:

It is unusual to see Yami's here, the Lake we frequent the most is the 3rd. Largest Lake in Wisconsin and if we see 1 or 2 a day it's rare. 1 of the dozens of Fishing guides I know has a 150 Yami on a Skeeter.

Not sure what you're trying to prove to me here.

6 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Not sure what you're trying to prove to me here.

Only that it's unusual to see Yami's in this area, with the many marinas and 100's of Lakes in this area and we're out on the water all the time, we just don't see them much, perhaps other areas have more. We see more Hondas & Zukes by far. I would think if they were as popular as you say we would see more..dunno.

3 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Only that it's unusual to see Yami's in this area, with the many marinas and 100's of Lakes in this area and we're out on the water all the time, we just don't see them much, perhaps other areas have more. We see more Hondas & Zukes by far. I would think if they were as popular as you say we would see more..dunno.

Is this really a hill you want to die on??

I just made a simple factual statement and then posted documentation to verify it. 

:dunno:

10 hours ago, Winterman said:

Wow. That is hard to believe 

Not really. It seems that every corporation in Quebec is geared to make the top brass rich, and the shareholders poor. They don,t seem to give a rat sass about anyone but themselves, always looking at short term gains for themselves, which are not for the betterment of the company long term. They just don,t seem to care, because the top managers  are only there for a short time, and them move on to destroy another business, in the same fashion.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 hours ago, XCR1250 said:

In this area we have 100's of Lakes and wife & I are on many each year, it is somewhat rare to see many Yamaha's, see mostly Merc's and a few Honda's.

Yamaha makes an outstanding outboard.   Love my 115.

• Platinum Contributing Member
21 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Is this really a hill you want to die on??

I just made a simple factual statement and then posted documentation to verify it. 

:dunno:

XCR would know whats most commonly used in his area.   Chill out man he's not trying to prove you wrong on the general statement just a local observation.   It wouldn't be surprising at all mercs being popular in the state they are built.