Check your account email address ×

FSCE Shop Talk

• Platinum Contributing Member

So was going through some old tools my dad gave me when he moved out to Arizona a few years back. He was an airplane mechanic in Vietnam. Some of the tools were his that he used in the war. Cleaned a couple up on the wire wheel,.. Apparently they are pretty damn old, the copper colored one I think is that color because it is non-sparking, kinda neat..The Barcalo-Buffalo one was made in the 1930's..

IMG_20200403_083307965.jpg

IMG_20200403_083312749.jpg

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, snowstorm said:

i have a snapon ratchet that is 5\16 drive they also made a 5\8 drive. from what the snap on dealer told me they were only made for the military during ww11  

Awesome, do you have any socket sets to match up with the drives ?

8 hours ago, snowstorm said:

i have a snapon ratchet that is 5\16 drive they also made a 5\8 drive. from what the snap on dealer told me they were only made for the military during ww11  

I have one that is like 9/32 drive from Plomb.  What I read was they made the drives all f-d up sizes so if they fell into enemy hands, they'd have a hell of a time getting them to work with the standard drive sizes.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Found myself buying the cheapest electric chainsaw Harbor Freight has to offer today.  $43 and change.  Cheaper then it would cost to drive to my parents to borrow one for the weekend.

prob not a bad way to go.  Whipped out the Poulan Wood Shark for some trimming today.  Love the thing,  bought it when i had some trees down at camp 15+ years ago and only had walmart available to buy one and it's been great.  Did have to put on a new chain today

I got the patio furniture out of the shed,  blower into the shed and then reorganized the garage.  Sat in the sun to eat lunch which was nice.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

prob not a bad way to go.  Whipped out the Poulan Wood Shark for some trimming today.  Love the thing,  bought it when i had some trees down at camp 15+ years ago and only had walmart available to buy one and it's been great.  Did have to put on a new chain today

I got the patio furniture out of the shed,  blower into the shed and then reorganized the garage.  Sat in the sun to eat lunch which was nice.  

I figure just using it today it has paid for itself making the place look better for the summer.  Run it until it dies or huck it on FB for $20 in a couple weeks.

On 4/2/2020 at 5:37 PM, Carlos Danger said:

I just aquired a 8 inch Dayton bench grinder old school. Thing has got to weigh over 100 pounds with the stand. The kind of thing when you shut it off the wheel is still coasting ten minutes later. Just a level of quality that does not exist anymore.

I have an old Rockwell that is like that. Sounds like a little turbine engine starting up.

7 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Found myself buying the cheapest electric chainsaw Harbor Freight has to offer today.  $43 and change.  Cheaper then it would cost to drive to my parents to borrow one for the weekend.

lol i have had a Remington electric for like 15ys . has a 15ish foot poll with it can take saw off poll bought it to cut 2 branches . I prob use that pos more than the gas one . in fact I know I do lol .

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

lol i have had a Remington electric for like 15ys . has a 15ish foot poll with it can take saw off poll bought it to cut 2 branches . I prob use that pos more than the gas one . in fact I know I do lol .

i need to look for one of those,  almost landed a tree branch on myself yesterday,  cut the lower branch from a ladder and it was holding up another branch that came down with it.   Rental place was already closed otherwise i'd have run down for a pole saw.   

On 4/5/2020 at 2:04 PM, GreenStreak said:

I'm currently on the hunt for a Z1 Turbo what was the best year? Which one was the best playing with the Boost and the map?

I recently researched this so I'll chime in Greenthumbs.

2011 Z1T EXT.  That is the best one.  Just so happens f7bent has one with low miles that he hasn't molested yet, maybe he'll sell it to ya.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 11:12 AM, Fireball 440 said:

I recently researched this so I'll chime in Greenthumbs.

2011 Z1T EXT.  That is the best one.  Just so happens f7bent has one with low miles that he hasn't molested yet, maybe he'll sell it to ya.

Is it for sale?

11 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

The first one's not a turbo not a bad price on the third one pretty low mileage

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Decided the cart needed some flair.  Going to get a rubber pad for the side tray.

Also picked up a 1/4" drive Gearwrench socket set for about 1/3 retail.  XP120 ratchet and 72 toof hand ratchet.  

IMG_20200411_091505[1].jpg

IMG_20200412_084633[1].jpg

I have that same set, it came free with the purchase of a 3/8 set up. I like the Gearwrench products, my stuff has held up really well..

On 4/3/2020 at 9:17 AM, snowstorm said:

I have one too!  Have a handful of sockets for it and a 5/16-1/4 adapter. I too gave it to the snap on man years ago bc I thought it was messed up. He was out in the truck for 20 min then came back in and said good luck. 

On 4/12/2020 at 3:21 PM, Rigid1 said:

I have that same set, it came free with the purchase of a 3/8 set up. I like the Gearwrench products, my stuff has held up really well..

I think I might buy the 3/8" and 1/2" drive sets too.  Should run around $200-225 for the part with the XP120's.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Now that ya'll are getting stimulii cheques, how many of you are going to blow it on tools and useless shit for the shop?

Great deals to be had, especially if you order it from China. LOL