Check your account email address ×

FSCE Shop Talk

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Replaced the lug nuts on my F150 last night.  The ones it came with are complete garbage.  They could be anywhere from a 21 to 21.5 to 22 mm depending on how much they have cracked and swelled.  One stripped so I had to pound a socket on it.  About a half dozen got stuck in the socket and needed to be pounded out.

Not mine but they were like this.  Junk.

Image result for f150 lug nut cracked cover"

They're all like that. GM, Ford, Ram, etc. I replaced mine and my sons with Costco nuts. Cheap at something like 43-50 cents a piece and they're one piece, not the 2 piece garbage that comes from the factory.

McGard's are also good/tough but they are spendy. 

Edited by irv
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, irv said:

They're all like that. GM, Ford, Ram, etc. I replaced mine and my sons with Costco nuts. Cheap at something like 43-50 cents a piece and they're one piece, not the 2 piece garbage that comes from the factory.

McGard's are also good/tough but they are spendy. 

I bought the Gorilla ones. About $100 bucks but they are nice. They are what should have come from the factory.

The cheaper ones I looked at didn't have much steel in them.  Not sure I'd trust the 50 cent lug nuts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

I bought the Gorilla ones. About $100 bucks but they are nice. They are what should have come from the factory.

The cheaper ones I looked at didn't have much steel in them.  Not sure I'd trust the 50 cent lug nuts.

I researched and read up on the Costco nuts and surprisingly they are a decent lug nut.

No problems yet with my truck or son's car, which I can't say that about the stockers that came with each vehicle. 

If I were doing some heavy hauling and owned a 3/4 or 1 ton, I'd likely choose Mcgards or Gorillas like you but then again, maybe these are also fine for that? 

10 minutes ago, irv said:

I researched and read up on the Costco nuts and surprisingly they are a decent lug nut.

No problems yet with my truck or son's car, which I can't say that about the stockers that came with each vehicle. 

If I were doing some heavy hauling and owned a 3/4 or 1 ton, I'd likely choose Mcgards or Gorillas like you but then again, maybe these are also fine for that? 

Mcguards look nice but they want over $150 a set. Your Costco ones are probably fine. I just didn't want wing ding lug nuts made of pot metal.

• Like 1

RF = 0

Broken appliances today = 2

Ice maker in the fridge shyt the bed and left a nice surprise for me this morning when I opened the door this morning.

Stove door broke whilst broiling a steak tonight.

Good brands of appliances wanted.  

3 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Replaced the lug nuts on my F150 last night.  The ones it came with are complete garbage.  They could be anywhere from a 21 to 21.5 to 22 mm depending on how much they have cracked and swelled.  One stripped so I had to pound a socket on it.  About a half dozen got stuck in the socket and needed to be pounded out.

Not mine but they were like this.  Junk.

Image result for f150 lug nut cracked cover"

Lots of manufactures use those, not just Ford.  It's about cost savings 

3 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

RF = 0

Broken appliances today = 2

Ice maker in the fridge shyt the bed and left a nice surprise for me this morning when I opened the door this morning.

Stove door broke whilst broiling a steak tonight.

Good brands of appliances wanted.  

good luck with that :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

We already looked at the $14,000 Sub-Zero fridge tonight...

those break as much as a cheap home depot fridge

IMO they are all pieces of shit these days,  i've had a grand of work done to my samsung.  coworker is a month into repairing a kenmore,  another had her kitchen aid shit the bed.  All are 1-3 years old.  14 parts showed up for the repairman on my last one,  wife asks when they will just replce the fridge and she said they never will they will throw parts till the warranty runs out.  

4 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

those break as much as a cheap home depot fridge

IMO they are all pieces of shit these days,  i've had a grand of work done to my samsung.  coworker is a month into repairing a kenmore,  another had her kitchen aid shit the bed.  All are 1-3 years old.  14 parts showed up for the repairman on my last one,  wife asks when they will just replce the fridge and she said they never will they will throw parts till the warranty runs out.  

Just trying to decide what the leastest piece of shit is.  The place we went does package deals on LG stuff, but I don't know anymore...

7 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

Just got a new Samsung top load washer & dryer.

From what I read LG & Samsung were the best.

Hopefully they have improved? Many stories out there on how shitty they are/once were.

Samsung Recall of Washing Machines Affects Millions of Consumers

https://www.consumerreports.org/recalls/samsung-recall-top-loader-washers/#targetText=The recall involves 34 models,and other appliances stores nationwide.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/samsung-recalls-top-load-washing-machines

https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-alert-rappel-avis/hc-sc/2016/60872r-eng.php

This is a new one just a couple weeks old.

Urgent recall issued on 'dangerous' top-loading Samsung washing machines

https://7news.com.au/news/recalls/urgent-recall-issued-on-dangerous-top-loading-samsung-washing-machines-c-491449

Samsung washing machine recall results in $6.55M class-action settlement

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/samsung-washing-machine-recall/

Edited by irv

1 minute ago, irv said:

You do know this is 2019 right?

JFC!