Check your account email address ×

What percentage of the country do you think is still working?

• Platinum Contributing Member

I've yet to have one supplier contact us and say they expect issues with orders.   In fact we are getting emails daily they consider themselves part of the essential supply chain and will remain open as much as possible.   Two of my largest customers have contacted us and said the EXPECT the same from us.   Mfg like many industries will keep plugging along.

we were talking about this shit show at work. seems up here everything is 'essential' except low paying jobs, servers, bartenders, cooks etc. the people that cant afford the time off. yet those of us in manufacturing, etc still work. the guys that can afford to take time off

2 hours ago, mtnloverxtreme2 said:

we were talking about this shit show at work. seems up here everything is 'essential' except low paying jobs, servers, bartenders, cooks etc. the people that cant afford the time off. yet those of us in manufacturing, etc still work. the guys that can afford to take time off

And pay taxes.   Don't shit yourself there is a reason.

• Like 1

I drove around today. Seems almost everyone in Ontario is essential. Only places I found closed was the RV/trailer place and the barber shop.

Everyone in construction is still working.

I seen a friend’s business (pool and hot tub retail) had posted on Facebook that they were closing. I send a text and told her that none of her competition was closing. They all claim they are open to sell sanitizing products. She said that the lawyers for buying group told here to close. 2 hours later she texted back that they had reopened and were keeping the door locked. People have to call to get in.

Ontario left way too much area in their wording.

I'd say 60~65%. consider basically all retail is shutdown. Non-essential manufacturing shutdown, My SIL is a surgeon, he's only working on emergency cases and his staff has been sent home. . My daughter is a pediatrician and her practice is only working part time and sent the staff home. We work with many business owners, all that are non-essential have closed down. We're going to see a spike in unemployment applications that are unprecedented.

Let's hope we curb this virus soon and return to normal. If the Senate works out a plan where healthy younger workers can return to work sooner than older workers and workers with underlying health issues perhaps we'll start the economy back up in 6 weeks. 

stay safe!

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I drove around today. Seems almost everyone in Ontario is essential. Only places I found closed was the RV/trailer place and the barber shop.

Everyone in construction is still working.

I seen a friend’s business (pool and hot tub retail) had posted on Facebook that they were closing. I send a text and told her that none of her competition was closing. They all claim they are open to sell sanitizing products. She said that the lawyers for buying group told here to close. 2 hours later she texted back that they had reopened and were keeping the door locked. People have to call to get in.

Ontario left way too much area in their wording.

Home building is a essential, people have sold to build new ones no where to live if the homes are not completed, my parents told contractors to stop ,because they fear of getting the virus, they havent sold the place we currently live in, so no biggie 

Probably about 80% here Id say.......If restaurants hadnt closed I would say 90 %

very few places except hair salons and nail places are closed. Other friends with some other companies that have closed are still working from home.

1 hour ago, The One said:

Home building is a essential, people have sold to build new ones no where to live if the homes are not completed, my parents told contractors to stop ,because they fear of getting the virus, they havent sold the place we currently live in, so no biggie 

How old are your parents?  Retired?  

10 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

How old are your parents?  Retired?  

They are in their mid fifties my mother is retired my father will probaly never retire just as my papa hasn't retired , papa is 78

12 hours ago, The One said:

No doubt, people have commitments. They have sold one place and bought another. But I mean the fence guys are working cause they have deadlines and the deck guys are out here building wood decks. The asphalt guys are prepping driveways. I seen an excavator stripping a big commercial lot with a dozer. That lot has sat vacant for 5 years or more.

I build swimming pools. The company that excavates for me called yesterday and said 3 pool companies called and booked digs for next week. They all feel that, since there is no band on residential construction, they can work. Its getting late and guys want to get going. He wants to know if I'm going ahead with the one project I've been holding off on.

41 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No doubt, people have commitments. They have sold one place and bought another. But I mean the fence guys are working cause they have deadlines and the deck guys are out here building wood decks. The asphalt guys are prepping driveways. I seen an excavator stripping a big commercial lot with a dozer. That lot has sat vacant for 5 years or more.

I build swimming pools. The company that excavates for me called yesterday and said 3 pool companies called and booked digs for next week. They all feel that, since there is no band on residential construction, they can work. Its getting late and guys want to get going. He wants to know if I'm going ahead with the one project I've been holding off on.

I really only see bars, restaurants and salons not working around here.