Check your account email address ×

Ski doo’s foray into cylinder reed twins was a disaster

Rod

Friggin low performing, unreliable greased bearing junk shoved into the garbage ZX chassis. Remember when the 800 reed twin mxz had only a scant few more hp than a 99 670 HO rotary and generally the 800 always lost to the rotary?

and doo replaced the 130 hp 670 with a gay 117 hp reed twin? 

rhe only thing that kept doo alive was the rev chassis which was seriously awesome when it came out, but the engines were amazingly lame 

670 HO was a good match for F7 at old forge 

68AE6FB7-A624-44C1-8368-D6FB3D68678A.jpeg

Edited by Tickle Shits

9 minutes ago, Tickle Shits said:

Friggin low performing, unreliable greased bearing junk shoved into the garbage ZX chassis. Remember when the 800 reed twin mxz had only a scant few more hp than a 99 670 HO rotary and generally the 800 always lost to the rotary?

and doo replaced the 130 hp 670 with a gay 117 hp reed twin? 

rhe only thing that kept doo alive was the rev chassis which was seriously awesome when it came out, but the engines were amazingly lame 

670 HO was a good match for F7 at old forge 

68AE6FB7-A624-44C1-8368-D6FB3D68678A.jpeg

I owned both.  The 800 was noticeably faster. 

I raced 670HOs with my 800 and never lost. The 670HO was definitely faster than the MXZ 700s 

1 minute ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I owned both.  The 800 was noticeably faster. 

I raced 670HOs with my 800 and never lost. The 670HO was definitely faster than the MXZ 700s 

The 670’s must have needed a tune up 

I had that Olympic edition mxz 800 . it was pretty fast for what it was my bud got a new polaris 800 that season also . i took him every race all season . by seasons end it had started a light tic that made me real nervous and sold it 

Just now, J. Jackson said:

Nothing wrong with the ZX for the day. If you knew how to ride one properly they were actually a pretty good weapon. 

ZX kinda reminds me of the new XP.  A boring time filler until they can release something good 

I had an 00 700mxz.  Traded it for a 02 800mxzx.  Got my ass handed to me time and time again everytime I lined up with guys who kept their 00 700's.

It just felt heavy and lame compared to the 00 700.  Ruined the crank bearings at 2500 miles and down the road she went.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Boy someone on a doo take a girl from you or something?

Fact is all brands have had good and bad but doo and poo haven't ened up where they are without reason.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

To this day you have to question their engine designs. Sure the ETEC is great at fuel delivery and oil consumption but that lack of fuel/oil isn't going to help the long term reliability of their engines.  Obviously they don't care as they are in the business of selling new sleds and parts.  Having crank bearings that need to be repacked and can't is just idiotic.

Fuel and oil in an engine cleans, cools, and lubricates it. He who uses the least often comes at a price.  

15 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Fact is all brands have had good and bad but doo and poo haven't ened up where they are without reason.

I  a doo guy. It’s just everything they make now is old man boring over priced lameness

22 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

I had a 00 700 with the sandcast engine and once you figured a few things out it went pretty good. 

My buddy had one of those first year 700s, it was plenty fast, and faster than the 800 he traded it for a year later.  Cat smoked all of them when their new 140 hp ZR800 came out.  My experience anyways.

Edited by DriftBusta

27 minutes ago, Tickle Shits said:

I  a doo guy. It’s just everything they make now is old man boring over priced lameness

Honestly thats pretty funny coming from someone who rides a cat.   Their only interesting sled has someone else's motor.  :thumbsup:

46 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

To this day you have to question their engine designs. Sure the ETEC is great at fuel delivery and oil consumption but that lack of fuel/oil isn't going to help the long term reliability of their engines.  Obviously they don't care as they are in the business of selling new sleds and parts.  Having crank bearings that need to be repacked and can't is just idiotic.

Fuel and oil in an engine cleans, cools, and lubricates it. He who uses the least often comes at a price.  

The 850 etec is fantastic and the 800 has proven itself over time

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Fact!  Doo got there by making a great product.  Poo got there with government contracts.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Honestly thats pretty funny coming from someone who rides a cat.   Their only interesting sled has someone else's motor.  :thumbsup:

Poo should get Suzuki to make their motors.

49 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

850 has greased bearings? Really?:lol:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Fact!  Doo got there by making a great product.  Poo got there with government contracts.  :lol:

Poo should get Suzuki to make their motors.

Current 2 smoke cats are very fine sleds to me the just lack the fun factor the other 2 have.  

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I'd probably take a RV motor over a Series III twin. But then again case reed triples FTW  :lol: 

My 02 800 summit was a piece of shit stock but after a bit of massaging it was untouchable even against some big bores I rode with.   Only engine work was pistons and high compression high alt head.   Lots of cluthing and relocation of the skid made huge gains.

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

My 02 800 summit was a piece of shit stock but after a bit of massaging it was untouchable even against some big bores I rode with.   Only engine work was pistons and high compression high alt head.   Lots of cluthing and relocation of the skid made huge gains.

My 01 Highmark X I have now has the skid set back  :thumb: 

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

My buddy had one of those first year 700s, it was plenty fast, and faster than the 800 he traded it for a year later.  Cat smoked all of them when their new 140 hp ZR800 came out.  My experience anyways.

with a arms to boot 

18 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

with a arms to boot 

My first cat, made me a believer when it came to handling and just performance overall.  Hated the maintenance mind you.  Some dude named Rusty reached out to me and another buddy from NY who bouught the same sled.  He worked in Cats R+D dept and wanted us to report on our experiences, etc..  Dude got me some pretty amazing warranty coverage, like even on a blown track and a bent drive axle.  One size down on the mains made a huge difference, and can’ remember something else he recommended, think maybe a layer off the head gasket.  All I know is that thing tore ass.  Old speedo pic, that thing spun arund 7700 rpm and the speedo was wrapped way past 100  :lol: 

EF97FEE4-B663-4F17-A287-8CDF9EAF84F4.jpeg

A5E604A5-0A57-4F0A-BE1E-97384F185208.jpeg

• Like 1