Check your account email address ×

44% of Americans age 18 to 64 are low-wage workers

5 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

I would imagine it doesn’t pay all that well.

Its not journeyman electrician pay but its decent pay I would guess. Got to be close to $60k per year for a fully qualified body tech most anywhere in the country. Likely more in populated areas. 

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

Its not journeyman electrician pay but its decent pay I would guess. Got to be close to $60k per year for a fully qualified body tech most anywhere in the country. Likely more in populated areas. 

Full benefits, paid vacation, signing bonus.  401 

• Gold Member
Just now, AKIQPilot said:

Health, Pension or a fat 401k for auto body tech??? 

2 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Health, Pension or a fat 401k for auto body tech??? 

Im sure those benefits are offered at some shops. Like dealership body shops or any of the big chain shops. 

Surely not all body techs get those benefits  

• Gold Member
4 minutes ago, Cold War said:

I get at least 5 job offers a week. There is no one to work. 

9DC9365F-2A65-443B-B1A9-668B83B6FE72.jpeg

1A91E159-132A-43E1-AC90-64468031083D.jpeg

That is good wages are coming up!  Wouldn’t happen without shortages.  I like worker shortages as it means fatter paychecks.

The better you are at paint and body,  the more $ you can make too. Especially if you like side work. 

Same thing goes for mechanics.  Guys can make more cash $ out of their own garages than they do at their regular 9-5 jobs.   Guy who lived across the street from me a while ago was the service manager at Detroit Harley.  One of the biggest Harley dealers in the world.  They were always so busy at the dealership , he was getting guys bringing their bikes to him at his house so they could get them back on the road quicker.  He had 2 mechanics from the dealership renting a room from him. Anytime you'd go over there, they'd have anywhere from 15-25 bikes in at a time.  They were making cash money hand over fist in there, 365 days a year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

That is good wages are coming up!  Wouldn’t happen without shortages.  I like worker shortages as it means fatter paychecks.

It’s not what you see on TV .  A bunch of shady guys using gas torches and plotting crimes. :lol:

Today’s vehicles are very complex and require a lot of different    skills to work on. The industry has changed a ton in the last 20 years. 

24 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

The better you are at paint and body,  the more $ you can make too. Especially if you like side work. 

Same thing goes for mechanics.  Guys can make more cash $ out of their own garages than they do at their regular 9-5 jobs.   Guy who lived across the street from me a while ago was the service manager at Detroit Harley.  One of the biggest Harley dealers in the world.  They were always so busy at the dealership , he was getting guys bringing their bikes to him at his house so they could get them back on the road quicker.  He had 2 mechanics from the dealership renting a room from him. Anytime you'd go over there, they'd have anywhere from 15-25 bikes in at a time.  They were making cash money hand over fist in there, 365 days a year. 

Dang they’re greedy 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Cold War said:

It’s not what you see on TV .  A bunch of shady guys using gas torches and plotting crimes. :lol:

Today’s vehicles are very complex and require a lot of different    skills to work on. The industry has changed a ton in the last 20 years. 

Yes and no... a lot of new modern techs couldn’t mechanically diagnose things to save their lives anymore. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 11:43 AM, motonoggin said:

It is a scam, but I had more than one reason. Odd that you only remember the parts of the story that are convenient for you. 

It so is not.  Believe me when I tell ya.  

1 hour ago, washedupmxer said:

That's hard work. It's not attractive to a lot of today's kids 

I’m not going to say you’re wrong but what I will say is that I’ve seen a lot of people 40+ who have no interest in work either and who are entitled. 

46 minutes ago, SSFB said:

I’m not going to say you’re wrong but what I will say is that I’ve seen a lot of people 40+ who have no interest in work either and who are entitled. 

Yup. There’s good and bad examples of every generation 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Most seasoned body men I know who hustle make well over 100k and the side cash work in unlimited

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tickle Shits said:

Yes and no... a lot of new modern techs couldn’t mechanically diagnose things to save their lives anymore. 

yeah,  experience  is hard to beat.  

1 hour ago, washedupmxer said:

Most seasoned body men I know who hustle make well over 100k and the side cash work in unlimited

And are not ex-cons or parolees. 

Every bodyshop in movies or TV ...............  open 24 hours, doubles as chop shop, torture den, all kinds of nefarious activity going on, one guy doing something with torch,  where police go to shake down the criminals working there for info, but never, EVER,  seem to mind the business  itself is a front for criminal activity. 9_9

11 hours ago, Cold War said:

My guy’s shop was on our local news last night with all the accidents lately.  

He actually hired a guy two years ago and gave home some fancy title.  Get this, his main job is to steal experienced body shop guys from other outfits through social media and other trade events.  Retirement, health and the whole deal.  

Like all trades, the amount of people are dwindling.  The amount of GOOD people are really dwindling.  A pool of half-asses pot and meth heads anymore.  Experienced and solid individuals are demanding 30-35+:hr in this area and getting it too.  That’s good money here.

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

He actually hired a guy two years ago and gave home some fancy title.  Get this, his main job is to steal experienced body shop guys from other outfits through social media and other trade events.  Retirement, health and the whole deal.  

Like all trades, the amount of people are dwindling.  The amount of GOOD people are really dwindling.  A pool of half-asses pot and meth heads anymore.  Experienced and solid individuals are demanding 30-35+:hr in this area and getting it too.  That’s good money here.

We were talking about closing the shop last year. Out of no where I get a call from a guy wanting me to come run his shop.  I’m like, wait, what,????  How did you know? How did you get my number??? 
everyone in the trades is desperate for help.  
my buddies have a ton of remod work and no one to help them.  All working 7 days a week.  Truth is no one wants to get their hands dirty.  

1 minute ago, Cold War said:

We were talking about closing the shop last year. Out of no where I get a call from a guy wanting me to come run his shop.  I’m like, wait, what,????  How did you know? How did you get my number??? 
everyone in the trades is desperate for help.  
my buddies have a ton of remod work and no one to help them.  All working 7 days a week.  Truth is no one wants to get their hands dirty.  

The real truth is, many just don’t want to work at all anymore....in any capacity.  

Sanders is their great white hope.

I will say this all hope isn't lost and every kid isn't a lazy entitled liberal

There are still kids who want to work and work hard, just not anywhere near as many as we need. 

As far as body shops go the young guys just don't seem to have the skills and talents the old guys do. That and the climate change  type scare tactics the industry uses doesn't help much. 

19 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

The real truth is, many just don’t want to work at all anymore....in any capacity.  

Yup,  like I said at beginning. If you are a young, skilled, and don’t mind having to work.  Lots of good opportunities out there. 

43 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

In all honestly many parents today look down on those careers.  We have our Liberal politicians mainly to blame who think daydreaming is a worthy skill.

17 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Yup,  like I said at beginning. If you are a young, skilled, and don’t mind having to work.  Lots of good opportunities out there. 

Huge.  Just huge.  I technically work in the trades now and see it first hand.  I know some good, skilled guys in the mid 20’s and thirties just fucking banking coin.  Also know of many more that are rock heads though.  A little bit of brains and planning goes a long way.  Just like any industry I guess.  Lots of degreed-up suit wearing retards that aren’t worth the stitching in their own socks.  That’s why they make good coffee baristas.

13 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

In all honestly many parents today look down on those careers.  We have our Liberal politicians mainly to blame who think daydreaming is a worthy skill.

My daughter is halfway through year two in college, now...it’s a different field than mine but, it’s still pretty much just core classes right now.  I recognize so little of these courses she is taking and wonder what they have to do with anything.  Liberal and humanity indoctrination courses.  

42 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

And we all know who to thank for this.

Edited by racer254
  • Thanks 1