Check your account email address ×

Public Help For Private Property Issues

• Platinum Contributing Member

Watching the local news this morning and they were covering a well attended meeting last night in Manistee regarding homeowners asking for government help as their homes are in danger of falling into Lake Michigan due to high water levels and the rapid rate of shoreline erosion due to the prevalence of strong westerly winds this past summer, fall and now. I realize FEMA helps private property owners after natural disasters but is this situation similar? These homes were built on a high bluff overlooking the lake which is now eroding at  a rapid rate....they interviewed one women who was told that there are no public funds available to remediate her private property issues and her response was " but we pay the big bucks to live on the waterfront"....apparently because she has a big property tax bill the government is obligated to help her. 

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

as far as flooding goes . if a river floods out your home even in a disaster zone and you did not buy the federal insurance . that btw they have to sell you as soon as 30 days leading up to the event you are shit out of luck .I have 2 buds who live on the river and have both gotten huge checks for there homes multiple times in the last 20 yrs . fucking crazy they keep selling them insurance.  big snow winter but the insurance get another 300k . even they think it is nuts but worth the bullshit . if they keep selling them the insurance . both say day they stop they will tear down and build up 13 feet like the ocean fr homes with parking under them .

the people with eroding shore . I say fuck them you build on a cliff you bought on a cliff your can't buy insurance for erosion then that is on you . best bust our a home equity line and get the movers in there to pick that bitch up and drop it on a new basement 30 feet back and enjoy you new fr yard,.

most can prob be done for under 100k . if on slabs under 40k .

I had a 33x30 lifted up moved 100ft and brought back to same spot and droped on the new basement  25 days later for under 15k few yrs back . not including basment of course just lifting moving setting .

if you can afford to live on the big lake you can afford to cover expenses related to it . if not time to sell to some one who can 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Watching the local news this morning and they were covering a well attended meeting last night in Manistee regarding homeowners asking for government help as their homes are in danger of falling into Lake Michigan due to high water levels and the rapid rate of shoreline erosion due to the prevalence of strong westerly winds this past summer, fall and now. I realize FEMA helps private property owners after natural disasters but is this situation similar? These homes were built on a high bluff overlooking the lake which is now eroding at  a rapid rate....they interviewed one women who was told that there are no public funds available to remediate her private property issues and her response was " but we pay the big bucks to live on the waterfront"....apparently because she has a big property tax bill the government is obligated to help her. 

I think it’s insane that property taxes are higher for living on the water

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

I think it’s insane that property taxes are higher for living on the water

taxed on value of the property not location of said property.  

just so happens humans are drawn to water and we put a huge value on living by it .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

as far as flooding goes . if a river floods out your home even in a disaster zone and you did not buy the federal insurance . that btw they have to sell you as soon as 30 days leading up to the event you are shit out of luck .I have 2 buds who live on the river and have both gotten huge checks for there homes multiple times in the last 20 yrs . fucking crazy they keep selling them insurance.  big snow winter but the insurance get another 300k . even they think it is nuts but worth the bullshit . if they keep selling them the insurance . both say day they stop they will tear down and build up 13 feet like the ocean fr homes with parking under them .

the people with eroding shore . I say fuck them you build on a cliff you bought on a cliff your can't buy insurance for erosion then that is on you . best bust our a home equity line and get the movers in there to pick that bitch up and drop it on a new basement 30 feet back and enjoy you new fr yard,.

most can prob be done for under 100k . if on slabs under 40k .

I had a 33x30 lifted up moved 100ft and brought back to same spot and droped on the new basement  25 days later for under 15k few yrs back . not including basment of course just lifting moving setting .

if you can afford to live on the big lake you can afford to cover expenses related to it . if not time to sell to some one who can 

100% agree.  Buy proper insurance, end of discussion

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Edmo said:

To me this is like living in New Orleans. You made that choice to live there. Why should taxpayers bail you out?

I view some of that differently as The Corp of Engineers have put in place an infrastructure to prevent flooding and should maintain it considering the importance of The Mississippi River and Delta as Navigable Waterway responsible for billions in commerce. Compare that to someone who built a house on a bluff so they can watch the sunset and look at the lake.

Property taxes are the big FUCK ALL in the tax game.  She has a point with that statement but, insurance should cover the damage if she is insured properly.  This should also be part of subsidised Fed flood/hazard insurance.  Taxing (punishing) people because they want to have better things and have the brains and gumption to attain them is a god damn joke.

37 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I view some of that differently as The Corp of Engineers have put in place an infrastructure to prevent flooding and should maintain it considering the importance of The Mississippi River and Delta as Navigable Waterway responsible for billions in commerce. Compare that to someone who built a house on a bluff so they can watch the sunset and look at the lake.

“Below sea level” is not where I’d build my dream house. 

4 minutes ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

I'm probably going to flamed here but this is like moving in next door to the local landfill then complain about the smell. You accept risk imo living on waterfront 

I agree. If you’re on the water that comes with risks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

I'm probably going to flamed here but this is like moving in next door to the local landfill then complain about the smell. You accept risk imo living on waterfront 

Ahhhh....that's not exactly 100% true though.  If it is taxed by the government, there are some things the government should be held responsible for doing.  So, if this is a serious issue it will affect resale values for several reasons.  Taxes are based on values.  I wonder how quickly the local and state are willing to drop the taxable amounts?  Zero.  Just like when the recession came in...yup...property values dropped by half in some parts.  Not taxes.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

A few towns over from me a developer filled in swamp land next to a Rod & Gun Club and built a housing development. The people that bought the houses tried getting the gun club shut down..

• Haha 2

Just now, Rigid1 said:

A few towns over from me a developer filled in swamp land next to a Rod & Gun Club and built a housing development. The people that bought the houses tried getting the gun club shut down..

That's how it works too!  Like the asshole that buys land on a sled trail or, even worse, buys land with a sled trail running though it then, shuts it down because he doesn't like sleds.  

These ignorant types of people in numbers are a real problem.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

16 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

That's how it works too!  Like the asshole that buys land on a sled trail or, even worse, buys land with a sled trail running though it then, shuts it down because he doesn't like sleds.  

These ignorant types of people in numbers are a real problem.

We had a neighbor move in with a sled trail and snowmobile BRIDGE across a waterway on the land he bought.  The bridge was payed for using club funds and DNR funds.  He was sold this property by a realtor who told him the bridge went with the property.  Well needless to say, the club and him both had good discussions and luckily we didn't have to take the bridge down, but he got the point.  The fucking realtor was the asshole in this case, but it caused a few problems.

Edited by racer254
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

If your insured your ok but you would have to wait till your house falls into the lake.

No insurance no money.

Wait, these homeowners had their tuition payed for by the government, so why can't the government help with this?  After all, they pay taxes?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

Correct. They want to reap the reward of waterfront living but want others to take the risk, Fuck em.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

house on the water is always going to be worth more than off the water.  It's certainly fair they pay more.  

The tax rates are higher on water properties in the state of Michigan. My family just bought a place in Caseville Michigan. The same price house on the water has a higher tax bill as the rate is higher. We bought a place that's right across the road from the water. We looked at a place 1000 feet up the road that has private access across the road. The homes were the same price but the taxes were double on home with private access. 

caseville.jpg

Edited by jtssrx

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Ahhhh....that's not exactly 100% true though.  If it is taxed by the government, there are some things the government should be held responsible for doing.  So, if this is a serious issue it will affect resale values for several reasons.  Taxes are based on values.  I wonder how quickly the local and state are willing to drop the taxable amounts?  Zero.  Just like when the recession came in...yup...property values dropped by half in some parts.  Not taxes.

Just because it wa a recession dosnt mean the costs to run the town went down.

• Thanks 1