Check your account email address ×

Public Help For Private Property Issues

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

A few towns over from me a developer filled in swamp land next to a Rod & Gun Club and built a housing development. The people that bought the houses tried getting the gun club shut down..

That's fucked lol

46 minutes ago, jtssrx said:

The tax rates are higher on water properties in the state of Michigan. My family just bought a place in Caseville Michigan. The same price house on the water has a higher tax bill as the rate is higher. We bought a place that's right across the road from the water. We looked at a place 1000 feet up the road that has private access across the road. The homes were the same price but the taxes were double on home with private access. 

caseville.jpg

SEV should be higher but not the mill rate.  crazy if the state constitution would allow for a different mill rate just because it's on the water. 

We do have 2 tax rates in my town, once for the beach precinct and 1 for the town and thats because of different services provided like daily trash pickup in that area but in that area on or off the water the rates the same.    

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Watching the local news this morning and they were covering a well attended meeting last night in Manistee regarding homeowners asking for government help as their homes are in danger of falling into Lake Michigan due to high water levels and the rapid rate of shoreline erosion due to the prevalence of strong westerly winds this past summer, fall and now. I realize FEMA helps private property owners after natural disasters but is this situation similar? These homes were built on a high bluff overlooking the lake which is now eroding at  a rapid rate....they interviewed one women who was told that there are no public funds available to remediate her private property issues and her response was " but we pay the big bucks to live on the waterfront"....apparently because she has a big property tax bill the government is obligated to help her. 

Not FEMA funds in my book but relatively nothing is.   You accept the risks of the area you build or buy.   Insure for it or don't live there.   

Few years back not far from me a damn broke draining a small lake that had houses all around it.   It was just a river then.   Well the property owners were saying the same thing.   Govt should come in and rebuild the damn and take over control.   Previously it was private and flow controlled by the lake association which led to battle after battle on downstream flooding.

Govt refused so the land value dropped by about 50% of course which was a massive hit on the counties property taxes after it was taken to court for re-assessment of property value.   In the end I think they got some fed govt grants and the county paid a significant portion.   Flow is now controlled by A.C.E.  

The people on the bluff overlooking the lake should be able to apply for property tax adjustment if the value is lower.   No reason it shouldn't drop considerably if their homes are truly in danger.   If the local tax collectors want the revenue THEY should look into securing the bluff....not the fed govt.   Someone will insure the homes if they fall into the lake.

Edited by Highmark

2 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Just because it wa a recession dosnt mean the costs to run the town went down.

Oh yes, and isn’t that the answer we all got too.

“Just remember you fucking serfs...we’re the gubment...we don’t have to tighten our belts when we squeeze you!!!  Now, pay the fuck up or else!!!!”

Just now, ford_428cj said:

They got greedy with how close they built them to the bluffs for a better view. Fuck em ...

To be fair, local authority had to approve the build sites, just like when I lived on a Lake.

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

A few towns over from me a developer filled in swamp land next to a Rod & Gun Club and built a housing development. The people that bought the houses tried getting the gun club shut down..

Metro?

4 hours ago, Edmo said:

To me this is like living in New Orleans. You made that choice to live there. Why should taxpayers bail you out?

That's right, that fuck-hole is BELOW LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN, and is a disaster waiting to happen. Actually, that shit-hole may be UNDER SEA LEVEL, and is protected by the levee system. 

Waterfront is the best show-off location you can get. Go to Newport, RI, and see the billionaire shacks on the water there.

Fukkers, all of them.

I can't wait to get a place ON Winnepesaukee!!!!!  :lol2:

Edited by Guest

Just now, Big Crappie said:

Metro gun club in Blaine, MN went through the same thing. Figured you might be in Minnesota.

Oh gotcha, no im in Syracuse, NY

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

They built on top of a sand dune....SBYL.

3FBEC7E5-BCD4-47F0-B33F-CAD74F34572B.thumb.jpeg.31134571fcac23aca18bd1838de02b15.jpeg

I would bet there are ways they could reinforce that.   On their own dime of course.  

25 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Probably cost more than the home is worth. That doesn't look like much of a house. 

There are plenty of other homes that are much bigger but the fact remains that they built/bought homes on a sand dune thinking that there was no way this would happen but Mother Nature has her own plans!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

There are plenty of other homes that are much bigger but the fact remains that they built/bought homes on a sand dune thinking that there was no way this would happen but Mother Nature has her own plans!!

Yep. Water has a way of humbling humanity on a regular basis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

One of my favorite sayings........"Mother Nature owns the place, we just pay the rent"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

house on the water is always going to be worth more than off the water.  It's certainly fair they pay more.  

Plenty of towns up here have view tax.  

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Well after reading about this,

They say their insurance doesn't cover earth movement, and they can't demolish the house because they still owe a $100,000 on the property.

If it does go tumbling down, they'd be fined for contaminating Lake Michigan's federally protected water.

If they are not willing to spend some money trying to move it and worried about getting fined, I would say their best bet is to default and let the bank take it.

Looks like that is what they did

SOMERS --  Crews on Tuesday, Nov. 5 began the demolition process at a home dangling over the edge above Lake Michigan in the Village and Town of Somers -- working to beat Mother Nature to the punch, getting the demolition started with snow on the way. It was only a matter of time before erosion would consume the abandoned home -- dangling over the lake for months.

The home's foundation was being pulled apart as a gap grew larger between its bricks. Down below, buoys and cables served as a temporary fix. The home's former owners parted ways when their back porch tumbled into the lake.

The crumbling house was then in the hands of mortgage lender Fannie Mae.

"Just given all the rain we've had, the ground is pretty unstable there," said Jason Peters, Village and Town of Somers assistant administrator. "It's been something that's creeping up."

According to the contractor, a 35-ton cable wrapped around the house twice was all that was keeping the house in place until demolition. The structure was heavily anchored onto the foundation of the garage.

The demolition process was easier said than done.

https://fox6now.com/2019/11/05/abandoned-somers-home-dangling-over-lake-michigan-due-to-erosion-to-be-demolished/

Edited by racer254