Check your account email address ×

Nearly two-thirds of US voters say Trump has not made them better off

Source: Financial Times

Nearly two-thirds of Americans say they are not better off financially than they were when Donald Trump was elected, casting doubt on whether economic expansion and a record bull market will boost the president’s re-election campaign in 2020. 

According to a poll of likely voters conducted by the Financial Times and the Peter G Peterson Foundation, 31 per cent of Americans say they are now worse off financially than they were at the start of Mr Trump’s presidency. Another 33 per cent say there has been no change in their financial position since Mr Trump’s inauguration in January 2017, while 35 per cent say they are better off. 

Persistently slow wage growth appeared to be a main driver of discontent, with 36 per cent of those who said they were worse off blaming their income levels. On Friday, the US labour department said average hourly income had risen 3 per cent in October, growth that was near highs for the past decade but lower than before the financial crisis. Another 19 per cent pointed to personal or family debts as the reason they felt worse off. 

The FT-Peterson poll’s findings underline the challenges facing Mr Trump, who is relying on his stewardship of the economy as a main argument for his re-election. The president has repeatedly touted stock market records and robust job creation as his administration’s most important accomplishment, and has angrily blamed the US Federal Reserve for any signs of economic weakness. 

Read more: https://www.ft.com/content/ce7e9f7c-fc13-11e9-a354-36acbbb0d9b6 
  • Haha 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

So the majority say they are better off.  :lol:   Fuck man you post dumb shit.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Source: Financial Times

Nearly two-thirds of Americans say they are not better off financially than they were when Donald Trump was elected, casting doubt on whether economic expansion and a record bull market will boost the president’s re-election campaign in 2020. 

According to a poll of likely voters conducted by the Financial Times and the Peter G Peterson Foundation, 31 per cent of Americans say they are now worse off financially than they were at the start of Mr Trump’s presidency. Another 33 per cent say there has been no change in their financial position since Mr Trump’s inauguration in January 2017, while 35 per cent say they are better off. 

Persistently slow wage growth appeared to be a main driver of discontent, with 36 per cent of those who said they were worse off blaming their income levels. On Friday, the US labour department said average hourly income had risen 3 per cent in October, growth that was near highs for the past decade but lower than before the financial crisis. Another 19 per cent pointed to personal or family debts as the reason they felt worse off. 

The FT-Peterson poll’s findings underline the challenges facing Mr Trump, who is relying on his stewardship of the economy as a main argument for his re-election. The president has repeatedly touted stock market records and robust job creation as his administration’s most important accomplishment, and has angrily blamed the US Federal Reserve for any signs of economic weakness. 

Read more: https://www.ft.com/content/ce7e9f7c-fc13-11e9-a354-36acbbb0d9b6 

This falls in line with the percentage of Americans who are invested in the stock market. 40% of Americans are in the market. This is fairly accurate. 

Me personally, I've made some dollars, but the instability, volatility, stress, and general disgust over Trump's ego-driven persona, is ALMOST NOT WORTH IT!!!! 

7 minutes ago, hayward said:

so Trump's ego-driven persona stresses you out?  I'm not following...

Yes, I hate the way he always has to be dominant. I have made money in the market under Trump, but in many ways I find him a punk. 

It's a stinkin' TRADE-OFF. Make money in stocks, but bristle at him talking. 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

So the majority say they are better off.  :lol:   Fuck man you post dumb shit.  

Yep,

31 percent say they are worse off,

33 percent say they are the same

35 percent say they are better off.

Yet the headline is designed to deceive in a pathetic way

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

My life has been good since I started working. I have never failed to succeed at what I set out to do. My issue was always getting bored with stuff. 

So what has Trump messed up for you exactly?

The added debt will be a noose on future generations, but most Liberals don't seem to mind that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Edmo said:

Only one person can make you better off. If you’re sitting around waiting for someone else to do it...you may be an idiot.

I was thinking the same thing.