Check your account email address ×

Only 27 percent of college grads have a job related to their major

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Not at all  

Huh,  I thought you worked in the psychiatry fields.  

1 hour ago, J. Jackson said:

My son has a degree in Criminal Justice that cost 180k plus. His plan was to get into Homeland Security and make 90-100k a year. Medicals wiped out that idea. Started selling cars 8 yrs ago in a mid size city and moved up the corporate ladder, now is the used car manager for 4 of the stores in the group. Will make 200k+ this year. Sometimes things have a way of working out.

Exactly. There’s only a few of the people that I know who are working in a job that connects with their major. Bachelor degrees basically get you in the door at a company or govt agency that requires a college education. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

I’ve never been in psychiatry. 

Can you share?   Some type of social work?

Just now, Highmark said:

Can you share?   Some type of social work?

Behavioral science. Mostly forensic. Some trauma and substance abuse. That’s world’s away from the practice of psychiatry. 

Not surprising at all. I had know idea what I wanted to do with the rest of my life at 18. And probably really didnt know until I was in my 30's. But now knocking on 50 I am living the dream, arguing politics on a snowmobile website!

3 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Behavioral science. Mostly forensic. Some trauma and substance abuse. That’s world’s away from the practice of psychiatry. 

Very cool.   And you had no college education in those fields?  

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Very cool.   And you had no college education in those fields?  

College yes, but not specific to the skill base. That was acquired through impromptu internships, volunteering, and working my way up through the various certification requirements.  

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

Someone’s ass is burning due to Sanders ideas and Fox News kool aid

Yeah fuck all those that saved for school, worked thru it or paid off their loans. Fuck that kinda responsibility when uncle Bernie will pick up the tab.

Guys I know sending their kids to schools that cost $50-75k per year to get run of the mill undergrad degrees. Be $200k I debt in the blink of an eye. Unbelievable.

I interview people pretty often and I could care less where you got your degree. What you got it in, work experience, and a 30 second assessment of your personality is way more important.

Edited by teamgreen02

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

Guys I know sending their kids to schools that cost $50-75k per year to get run of the mill undergrad degrees. Be $200k I debt in the blink of an eye. Unbelievable.

I interview people pretty often and I could care less where you got your degree. What you got it in, work experience, and a 30 second assessment of your personality is way more important.

Community colleges are the way to go. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, spin_dry said:

That’s been pretty typical for that 500 years or so. Very few people, other than the unimaginative, follow a career path that’s consistent with their education. 

You've never been very bright.  This post just confirms that fact.  :nuts:

10 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

1 of my Grand Daughters went to school to become a Dental Hygienist, she works instead at a Quik Trip. 

Really?   They rake it in.  $30.00 hr in small towns.   Much higher in metro area's.   She not willing to move?  

It use to be a BS degree program only until the Dentist association got that changed to a 2 year degree.   Still the 2 year make close to the 4 year.   

Since the change job openings became much less available. 

Most positions offer part time as well of 3-4 days per week which women with kids generally love.   Dentists usually will still offer HI with part time.

My wife has been one for 27 years (semi retired 5 years ago) and was President of the state association for a few.  

Quick Facts: Dental Hygienists
2018 Median Pay $74,820 per year 
$35.97 per hour
Typical Entry-Level Education Associate's degree
Work Experience in a Related Occupation None
On-the-job Training None
Number of Jobs, 2016 207,900
Job Outlook, 2016-26 20% (Much faster than average)
Employment Change, 2016-26 40,900

1 hour ago, XCR1250 said:

1 of my Grand Daughters went to school to become a Dental Hygienist, she works instead at a Quik Trip. 

there must be no opportunity in that specific area,  great part time 50k a year job or full time 80k+ a year job based on the ones that pass my desk around here  

10 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

What type of work will they be doing?

I only hire new engineering grads fresh out of university, marks aren't that important, personality is much more.

21 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

there must be no opportunity in that specific area,  great part time 50k a year job or full time 80k+ a year job based on the ones that pass my desk around here  

She's also trying to raise a 1-1/2 old son, her husband works full time nights..they live in Eau Claire, Wi.

5 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

She's also trying to raise a 1-1/2 old son, her husband works full time nights..they live in Eau Claire, Wi.

well that sounds more like a schedule issue then.  i'd have loved if my daughter went to be a hygenist,  would have saved me a crap load of money.  

• USA Contributing Member
20 hours ago, Mainecat said:

Someone’s ass is burning due to Sanders ideas and Fox News kool aid

Kids should build up college debt and then marry into a family that has cash.  Have your BIL cover the debt for you.....

7 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

well that sounds more like a schedule issue then.  i'd have loved if my daughter went to be a hygenist,  would have saved me a crap load of money.  

Her younger sister is a Cop.

8 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

Hygenist?  I'd rather pump shitters.:lol::flush::lol:

7 minutes ago, $poorsledder$ said:

Kids should build up college debt and then marry into a family that has cash.  Have your BIL cover the debt for you.....

Now that's a plan.  You forgot taking over the company.