Check your account email address ×

VERY IMPORTANT!!! Tariff price increases effective immediately

Just now, Highmark said:

The leftists arguing against fair trade.  :lol:  Fucking priceless.  

Not arguing against fair trade, arguing about idiotic trade policy that is costly to the American consumer/taxpayer. Trump bullied his way into this mess and the Chinese are calling the bullies bluff, I said long ago the that Chinese would outlast Trump's bully tactics.

The NYC RE developer who bullied architects, contractors, suppliers, and who's companies declared bankruptcies many times fucking over many small businesses has now gambled with the US consumers money......oh well its no skin off his fatass :thumb:

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Not arguing against fair trade, arguing about idiotic trade policy that is costly to the American consumer/taxpayer. Trump bullied his way into this mess and the Chinese are calling the bullies bluff, I said long ago the that Chinese would outlast Trump's bully tactics.

The NYC RE developer who bullied architects, contractors, suppliers, and who's companies declared bankruptcies many times fucking over many small businesses has now gambled with the US consumers money......oh well its no skin off his fatass :thumb:

So what exactly do you suggest?   Honest question.

We have to do something Vince and tariffs are a part of the solution.  

2 hours ago, Mainecat said:

But bubble headed bleach blondes sitting on a couch told him that.

Does said Bubble headed bleach blonde come on at 5?

Don't blame her, she is paid by the corporations to tell faux news viewers that higher pay will destroy the economy. 

You know, if you don't behave the billionaires will move the jobs overseas.  

They can't for the life of them think where an extra 2 dollars per hour paid to a minimum wage worker goes vs the head of Walmart, the people who own fast food franchises etc. 

15 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Exactly. The Chinese leader is a dictator over 1 billion people, he isn't going to take the chance of looking weak against Trump. 

Trump accused the Chinese of meddling in the election before. If they want him out, they just have to play this game for 18 months and elcheeto is out. 

Besides, no sense making a deal with Trump anyway.  Who'd be dumb enough to believe anything he says?  Other than his loyal followers .

Funny I don't recall any complaints when Obama as doing it.  :lol: 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/58383-obama-hits-china-with-tariffs-on-tires

https://www.wsj.com/articles/obama-front-runs-trump-on-china-1463677249

Obama Front-Runs Trump on China

The new 522% steel tariff will hurt U.S. companies. Worse may be coming.

May 19, 2016 1:00 p.m. ET

The Obama Administration may not sound like Donald Trump when talking about trade with China, but it isn’t above using protectionism for political gain. On Tuesday the U.S. 

Edited by Highmark

12 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Funny I don't recall any complaints when Obama as doing it.  :lol: 

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/58383-obama-hits-china-with-tariffs-on-tires

https://www.wsj.com/articles/obama-front-runs-trump-on-china-1463677249

Obama Front-Runs Trump on China

The new 522% steel tariff will hurt U.S. companies. Worse may be coming.

May 19, 2016 1:00 p.m. ET

The Obama Administration may not sound like Donald Trump when talking about trade with China, but it isn’t above using protectionism for political gain. On Tuesday the U.S. 

Bush did it to. Somebody needs to have this fight, we have been getting fucked by China for too long. Just do it in September!!!111

5 minutes ago, Anler said:

Bush did it to. Somebody needs to have this fight, we have been getting fucked by China for too long. Just do it in September!!!111

They picked and chose a few fights to fight and nothing got better.  It must be full scale to dramatically impact their economy.  

2 hours ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The problem is that Trump has created a problem that has just become a tax on the consumer, and the fact of the matter is that we do not have the workforce to replace what the Chinese make, of course if we would increase the amount of refugees we allow in the country we could alleviate some of that workforce shortage.

As far as public sector projects requiring Made in USA products you need to understand that there is a stiff penalty for that Made in USA product, let's use a simple 3/4" steel compression coupling: Made in Shithole country .24 cents, Made in the USA $1.74, we know this is 725% more expensive and we know that the taxpayer is paying for this.

I watched the Japanese dump steel in here in the 70's and 80's and it was horrible to watch our steel industry and auto industry get smashed, and then listen to many Americans defend there foreign car purchases while the US steel and auto industries shrank. The fact of the matter is that cat is long out of the bag and there is no turning back the clock, just as there is no turning back the clock for the coal industry, it's over, we've moved on and communities that relied on those old businesses need to look at what the future business opportunities are, and some already have.

Our president is a dinosaur who thinks like a dinosaur, the past is for losers. 

Anti American “we can’t do that”, “those jobs aren’t coming back”.

I think you are a little bit full of shit and full of yourself.

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

The leftists arguing against fair trade.  :lol:  Fucking priceless.  

It’s unreal.  Sad state of affairs we sit in.  It’s way past time for a dust up.

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I suppose nothing is impossible Jim, it really comes down to what is the cost to the American consumer/taxpayer.

Why do you make up lies? I never said is was ruining my business, I stated the product cost more and used 3/4 couplings as an example, those costs are figured into our pricing that the taxpayer pays for :thumb:

In my OP I said the tariffs aren't good as it's the US consumer paying the premium, it is what it is :bc:  And let's pay attention to the Trump Admin coming up with another bailout for soybean farmers.

Date:

May 8th, 2019

To:

Acuity Brands U.S. Customers

Subject:

Tariff Price Increase

In November 2018, Acuity Brands notified customers about a price increase of up to an additional 15% on January 2, 2019, because of increases in our product input costs, including the direct and indirect impact from higher tariffs. During the G20 Summit meeting, held December 1, 2018, the Trump Administration announced a pause on any additional tariffs for a period of 90 days while U.S. and China trade negotiations continued. As a result, Acuity Brands delayed the January 2 increase until March 4, 2019. In February, the Trump Administration announced an intent to delay an increase to the tariffs, and in response, Acuity Brands delayed the March 4 increase. All other previously announced and implemented increases from 2018 remained in full effect.

Over the last several weeks, USTR and Chinese officials have met several times to discuss a potential trade deal. This week, Chinese delegates will travel again to the U.S. for continuation of trade talks, but no deal has been reached. In a briefing held on May 6, 2019, the USTR indicated the additional tariffs will go into effect on Friday, May 10.

Therefore, our previously announced increase of up to an additional 15% on certain products will be implemented and effective on Wednesday, May 15, 2019. The last day for entry and shipping release of orders for impacted products at current prices is Tuesday, May 14, 2019. All orders entered or released for shipping after this date will be invoiced at the new prices, without exception.

We will continue to monitor the USTR actions and communicate any changes to the tariff rate, implementation date, or scope of items that would affect this announced increase or future increases accordingly.

Price increase levels by product family and updated customer stock price sheets will be communicated ahead of the May 15 implementation date.

We remain committed to our industry partners and we appreciate your support through these dynamic market conditions.

Best Regards,

I'm an image

Sero Cardamone
SVP, Global Sales

Amra Boucher
VP, Customer Engagement

Mike DeBlois
VP, Pricing Operations

I understood your point and the way some of these guys make shit up and put words in other mouths just shows they have no interest in an honest discussion. 

1 hour ago, Mileage Psycho said:

No...not at all.  You are just arguing against anything Trump does to try and get this nightmare of a trade policy turned around.

If you were being honest with yourself (impossible due to your high level of TDS), if Hillary was doing this or, if Obama did this you’d be cheering it on the whole way.

Pathetic.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

I understood your point and the way some of these guys make shit up and put words in other mouths just shows they have no interest in an honest discussion. 

And you do, right?  Let me go back and see where you were looking for an “honest discussion” on trade policy and tariffs.

:lol:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Highmark said:

So what exactly do you suggest?   Honest question.

We have to do something Vince and tariffs are a part of the solution.  

Great question! And I will get to it.

The first question is what are we going to produce in this country that will take the place of what China produces? At the link below is the products each country produces and exports to the other country, we also remember at what cost will it be to the US consumer and do we have the people willing to work for the low wage to sell said product as we do have a situation where many jobs are not getting filled because of the low unemployment we now have.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-all-the-stuff-the-us-imports-from-china-thats-causing-a-huge-trade-deficit-2018-03-23

We can look at the link and see that our largest import from China is computers and electronics, we are not going to compete there as we don't have bodies to work at that low of a wage to compete globally.

Next let's look at what is our largest export to China and we can see that's transportation equipment, now we know the Chinese love Buicks and Cadillacs, we also know that the Chinese have required GM to build factories in China to produce cars,  the next exports are computers, chemicals, machinery, oil and gas.

Back to your question, it's been my opinion that we are not going to bully the Chinese into and it's been my opinion that trade wars are not easy to win. Rather than all the bellicose behavior I think it would be smarter to identify the products and services that we have that the Chinese want and need, and from there tell them we need to see an export increase in those products, and if they don't want to do that we will have identified the products that are produced in our country and other countries and make sure that they can be produced in quantities that we need so that we can then put limits on the quantities of that Chinese product we allow to be exported here.

There is a right way and wrong way to negotiate, Trump came into China trade talks thumping his chest and that fact is we will never beat the Chinese in land war, and we will never beat the Chinese in a trade war, the Chinese will starve millions of there own citizens before they lose, the western man doesn't have that kind of resolve.

In any event until Trump figures out a way to resolve this "crisis" he has created we will all pay more for goods that we need/want from China.......Hopefully we will use the taxpayer money from the tariffs to pay down the debt, but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW, here is the latest from the ChiCom media:

President Trump loves to badger China on Twitter.

Now China is fighting back on its own social media platform.

The People’s Daily, a state newspaper for China’s Communist Party, posted a bright red message titled “This, is China’s attitude!” on its official WeChat account on Tuesday, one day after China announced it would retaliate against U.S. tariffs by imposing its own levies on U.S. goods.

“Negotiate, sure! Fight, anytime! Bully us, wishful thinking!” the graphic reads, with three statements in gold lettering printed on the red Chinese national flag and a picture of shipping containers in the background..

a red and yellow flag

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/chinas-state-party-posts-defiant-message-about-trade-war-with-us-on-social-media-site/ar-AABmyX4

14 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Great question! And I will get to it.

The first question is what are we going to produce in this country that will take the place of what China produces? At the link below is the products each country produces and exports to the other country, we also remember at what cost will it be to the US consumer and do we have the people willing to work for the low wage to sell said product as we do have a situation where many jobs are not getting filled because of the low unemployment we now have.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-all-the-stuff-the-us-imports-from-china-thats-causing-a-huge-trade-deficit-2018-03-23

We can look at the link and see that our largest import from China is computers and electronics, we are not going to compete there as we don't have bodies to work at that low of a wage to compete globally.

Next let's look at what is our largest export to China and we can see that's transportation equipment, now we know the Chinese love Buicks and Cadillacs, we also know that the Chinese have required GM to build factories in China to produce cars,  the next exports are computers, chemicals, machinery, oil and gas.

Back to your question, it's been my opinion that we are not going to bully the Chinese into and it's been my opinion that trade wars are not easy to win. Rather than all the bellicose behavior I think it would be smarter to identify the products and services that we have that the Chinese want and need, and from there tell them we need to see an export increase in those products, and if they don't want to do that we will have identified the products that are produced in our country and other countries and make sure that they can be produced in quantities that we need so that we can then put limits on the quantities of that Chinese product we allow to be exported here.

There is a right way and wrong way to negotiate, Trump came into China trade talks thumping his chest and that fact is we will never beat the Chinese in land war, and we will never beat the Chinese in a trade war, the Chinese will starve millions of there own citizens before they lose, the western man doesn't have that kind of resolve.

In any event until Trump figures out a way to resolve this "crisis" he has created we will all pay more for goods that we need/want from China.......Hopefully we will use the taxpayer money from the tariffs to pay down the debt, but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW, here is the latest from the ChiCom media:

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what the admin has said and done.   When the Chinese were not willing to negotiate that's when the tariffs were put in place.   Same thing with the renegotiation of NAFTA.   We are not trying to stop them from importing but increase the stuff we already export.  

Everything you are saying is much easier stated than accomplished.   Should we accept that the cars they want must be built in China?   What happens when we make the same requirements of some goods forcing them to be made here?

Trade is about as complex issue as it gets as other countries are involved or impacted as well.    

I don't think anyone with reasonable knowledge of business and trade doesn't realize there must be some pain in order for a fair deal to be had.   Are tariffs the answer?   Maybe, maybe not but I really don't think the suggestions you are making have any chance of getting them to the table.  Tariffs should make the country fear loss of the business.  Other than actually restricting imports I do not see any other way.   That in itself has more significant economic impact than just increased prices.  

Edited by Highmark

11 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what the admin has said and done.   When the Chinese were not willing to negotiate that's when the tariffs were put in place.   Same thing with the renegotiation of NAFTA.   We are not trying to stop them from importing but increase the stuff we already export.  

Everything you are saying is much easier stated than accomplished.   Should we accept that the cars they want must be built in China?   What happens when we make the same requirements of some goods forcing them to be made here?

Trade is about as complex issue as it gets as other countries are involved or impacted as well.    

I don't think anyone with reasonable knowledge of business and trade doesn't realize there must be some pain in order for a fair deal to be had.   Are tariffs the answer?   Maybe, maybe not but I really don't think the suggestions you are making have any chance of getting them to the table.  Tariffs should make the country fear loss of the business.  Other than actually restricting imports I do not see any other way.   That in itself has more significant economic impact than just increased prices.  

The Chinese have a more loyal mindset than Americans, they won't buy many imported cars.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:13 PM, revkevsdi said:

Of course it doesn't add up.  Momo is just a liar. He has no links to back up his bullshit. 

But he's equally as stupid as you are so he wouldn't understand it either. I guess that's why you are called minnesota Momo.

Or it might be because you are into Man on Man Oral, like him. 

We hit an 18 year low in unemployment 6 months after the wage hike.  

You are the dumbest of fucks there were major job loses you stupid fucking liar. You are so full of shit  :fuckoff:

15 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

The Chinese have a more loyal mindset than Americans, they won't buy many imported cars.

Well the 28-30% tariff that was on them the whole time doesn't help.  

On 5/15/2019 at 10:04 AM, Highmark said:

China is GM's largest market, and it's also a huge market for Ford, and we know that the Chinese have the largest auto market in the world, so do we exclude ourselves from that market?

Consumer electronics is the largest export China has going to the US, and much of those components are R&D here and then built overseas for cost efficiency, I think we can agree on that. Now with that said we don't have enough of the low labor in this country to build that kind of stuff, and our presidents immigration policy certainly doesn't support bring in those low cost workers, so what is the purpose of chasing something we really can't do?

We know that educated people aren't the people who build widgets and we know they don't do grunt work, it's a clustefuck of policy for a complicated issue.

Trump's new immigration plan emphasizes skills and education over family connections

President Donald Trump will unveil a sweeping new proposal Thursday designed to move the United States from a family-based immigration system to what administration officials describe as an employment- and skill-based system.

The proposal includes two parts – a physical infrastructure component that would include border wall construction and be financed by new fees on trade collected at the border, and a revamped points system for those applying for U.S. citizenship.

The plan is designed to give Republicans a positive proposal they can pitch on the campaign trail and in negotiations with Democrats, although Trump officials acknowledge that it is not likely to become law as is.

President Donald Trump will unveil a sweeping new proposal Thursday designed to move the United States from a family-based immigration system to what senior administration officials describe as an employment- and skill-based system.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trumps-new-immigration-plan-emphasizes-skills-and-education-over-family-connections/ar-AABptHB

• Gold Member

Most Americans aren’t going to notice tariffs all that much...  they go buy a 6 pack of socks at Walmart for $9.95 now will pay $10.20.....  they aren’t going to notice....  the only notice they have is what the media will tell them and they will just tell they story that they got fucked on there socks and are not going to be able to eat now.

Edited by BOHICA

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

gonna be lots of crying when the prices on everything increase.

Only by the ones already crying about something else Trump did to ruin their life every day.

Nobody cares anymore.  We just want them silenced.

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Don’t forget China’s ace.........they own our debt. When they call it in every American is fucked.

tariffs are good if you target specific products.

It is specific products....  over half of China’s imports are still Tariff free.

Walmart has already said it will work with suppliers from other countries then China to try and maintain prices.....  China is fucked the longer this goes on as US importers explore other countries to fill the needs.

Edited by BOHICA