Check your account email address ×

California has worst 'quality of life' in US, study says

• Platinum Contributing Member

:pc:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/01/california-has-worst-quality-life-in-us-study-says.html

Awards season is in full swing in California, and the Golden State just took home a booby prize of its own.

California ranks dead last among U.S. states in quality of life, according to a study by U.S. News, ranking behind New Jersey (49th) and Indiana (48th).

The ignominious honor reflects California's low marks in the sub-categories of environmental quality and social engagement. The latter category measures voting participation and community bonds.

Californians scored poorly in part because they're simply insufferable, U.S. News suggested.

"In addition to a healthy environment, a person's quality of life is largely a result of their interactions with those around them," the magazine wrote in a blurb accompanying the results.

One way to measure quality life is whether residents can even afford to have a roof over their heads, and by that standard, California is failing. 

A 2017 Harvard University report said that one-third of renters in the Los Angeles area are "severely rent burdened," meaning they spend at least half their income on housing. The median rent for a one-bedroom apartment in Los Angeles County has increased 67%, according to Zillow's Rent Index, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Homelessness has surged a stunning 75 percent in the last six years, the Los Angeles Times reports, and there are now at least 55,000 homeless people in the county.

U.S. News ranked each state in seven other areas, which were weighted based on a survey that determined their importance to the public: health care, education, economy, opportunity, infrastructure, crime and corrections, and fiscal stability. 

Regarding its budget, California does have a balanced budget under Gov. Jerry Brown, a Democrat, but the Standard & Poor's rating agency recently warned that the good times won't last.

"California's finances are roaring back," the agency's report said. "History would suggest, however, that any fiscal renaissance will be temporary."

If the stock market shifts from gains to losses, Standard & Poor's said, the budget could be negatively impacted in a major way because about half of the state's revenue comes from the wealthiest 1% in California.

California finished No. 43 in fiscal stability, No. 46 in opportunity, and No. 38 in infrastructure. It posted relatively high marks in health care (11th), economy (4th), and crime and corrections (28th).

California ranked No. 32 among all U.S. states overall, behind New York (25th), New Jersey (19th), and Florida (15th).

Which state has the best quality of life?

Iowa, which scored highly in infrastructure and health care, took the top spot overall.

• Gold Member

Geographically, California is spectacular. Mountains on one side and the ocean on the other and within an easy drive of one another. If you get rid of 75% of the people it would be a great place to live.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

California is a beautiful state especially through non racist eyes. I am sure San Diego is a horrible place to live

Yes because racists see mountains and oceans very differently  :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Yes because racists see mountains and oceans very differently  :lol: 

The crap that comes out of some around here is just unbelievable.  The post that he typed lets many in on his mindset.  Mental disease comes to mind.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

California is a beautiful state especially through non racist eyes. I am sure San Diego is a horrible place to live

:lol:

I don't even know what this means it's so fucking stupid.

Just now, Momorider said:

FAKENEWSMAINECUNT is a fucking imbicile :flush: 

That much is overwhelming and blatantly clear.  I guess I didn't know that racist hace different eye sight.  Are they born that way or is it inculded in the indoctrination package?  :lol:

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

That much is overwhelming and blatantly clear.  I guess I didn't know that racist hace different eye sight.  Are they born that way or is it inculded in the indoctrination package?  :lol:

Must have something to do with the extreme and irreversible brain damage :flush: 

1 hour ago, Mainecat said:

San Diego is awesome.  Been there 4 times.  Especially love La Jolla area just north along the coast.  I could see spending a week or two there a year when I retire.  Can't be without seasons though for year round living.  

I just spent almost the entire month of February in southern Cali. The weather was great. The locals were very nice. The other RV’rs were all very nice. You can just about anything and everything you need to enjoy life. 

The downside is everything is super expensive. Way more expensive than anywhere we have been, even Alaska. Groceries were expensive. Fuel is over $4/gal. Our friends have a $500k RV casita in Indio. Their taxes are over $12k per year. We looked at a new RV in Palm Springs. List price was $700k. The salesman told that Taxes and fees added up to $55k and 1 year of registration was $17k. 

The worst part of CA is the shitty Mexican food.  I tried 5 times to get good enchiladas and they were average at best and typically shitty.  AZ has very good Mexican food  

We enjoyed SoCal but there is no way to live there on a modest income. It’s just way too expensive. 

1 minute ago, AKIQPilot said:

I just spent almost the entire month of February in southern Cali. The weather was great. The locals were very nice. The other RV’rs were all very nice. You can just about anything and everything you need to enjoy life. 

The downside is everything is super expensive. Way more expensive than anywhere we have been, even Alaska. Groceries were expensive. Fuel is over $4/gal. Our friends have a $500k RV casita in Indio. Their taxes are over $12k per year. We looked at a new RV in Palm Springs. List price was $700k. The salesman told that Taxes and fees added up to $55k and 1 year of registration was $17k. 

The worst part of CA is the shitty Mexican food.  I tried 5 times to get good enchiladas and they were average at best and typically shitty.  AZ has very good Mexican food  

We enjoyed SoCal but there is no way to live there on a modest income. It’s just way too expensive. 

Ironically the only way many of us could live there is in a RV. Take a look at the housing prices around LA or SF...ridiculous.

Just now, Edmo said:

Ironically the only way many of us could live there is in a RV. Take a look at the housing prices around LA or SF...ridiculous.

Yes for sure. The guy we rented the rzr from for a week lived in Apple Valley in an 1800 sqft house built in the 70’s. He said in the last 5 years his property taxes have gone up from about $4000/year to about $9000/year. He said there is no way he can continue to live there if the taxes continue to go up. He is looking to move his family to AZ and he said half his relatives are in the same boat. 

We have quite a few friends and family in California and visit there at least once a year. They are all doing very well. And we always have a tremendous time. But there are alot of homeless people there. However I have noticed that most coastal areas and southern climates have alot more homeless.

Going to Napa in the fall this year and am very much looking forward to it. 

31 minutes ago, Nazipigdog said:

We have quite a few friends and family in California and visit there at least once a year. They are all doing very well. And we always have a tremendous time. But there are alot of homeless people there. However I have noticed that most coastal areas and southern climates have alot more homeless.

Going to Napa in the fall this year and am very much looking forward to it. 

Lots of homeless along the southern az ca border...

Just now, DAVE said:

Lots of homeless along the southern az ca border...

Lots of homeless all over the southwest. Phoenix has a shitload of homeless as does Albuquerque and the entire south. When I was in Miami last year they were everywhere. Same in Louisiana. The warmer climates will always have more homeless.