Check your account email address ×

GM moving Truck assembly from Mexico to Canada as part of new contract

Momorider

5 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Canada is better than Mexico.  The plants in Canada are represented by the UAW, which means the wages and benefits that are required by contract.

Auto workers are represented by unifor in Canada. They separated a few years back and merged with another Union.

11 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Canada is better than Mexico.  The plants in Canada are represented by the UAW, which means the wages and benefits that are required by contract.

Unifor, previously CAW :) completely separate from UAW 

• Gold Member

From what i thought i read is it just overflow final assembly of trucks.  When the demand is there snd us and mexico cant keep up with demand they can send chassis and bodies and slap in some seats in canada production line to pump out a few more trucks when needed.  I think they call that plant a flex line or consolidated or something and it lost several gm vehicle lines in this contract.

3 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

From what i thought i read is it just overflow final assembly of trucks.  When the demand is there snd us and mexico cant keep up with demand they can send chassis and bodies and slap in some seats in canada production line to pump out a few more trucks when needed.  I think they call that plant a flex line or consolidated or something and it lost several gm vehicle lines in this contract.

They had a truck plant for years closed a while ago :dunno: they had three lines (plants) at one time.

I thought they were all flex lines now :news: 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Momorider said:

They had a truck plant for years closed a while ago :dunno: they had three lines (plants) at one time.

I thought they were all flex lines now :news: 

I dont know...  Maybe i read wrong but i could have swore i read they are shipping near completed pickups to oshwawa from fort wayne by train when fort wayne is to busy to do final assembly.

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

I dont know...  Maybe i read wrong but i could have swore i read they are shipping near completed pickups to oshwawa from fort wayne by train when fort wayne is to busy to do final assembly.

:dunno: seems retarded but maybe 

• Gold Member
35 minutes ago, Momorider said:

:dunno: seems retarded but maybe 

Found what I read on it.  Basically Overflow final assembly on regular cab and double cab trucks that fort wayne can't handle on final assembly.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/09/oshawa-will-perform-silverado-sierra-final-assembly/#more-1414817

1 minute ago, BOHICA said:

Found what I read on it.  Basically Overflow final assembly on regular cab and double cab trucks that fort wayne can't handle on final assembly.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/09/oshawa-will-perform-silverado-sierra-final-assembly/#more-1414817

This is the kind of wasteful shit and the reason these big companies cant stay together. Ive worked for one for 12 years with top level people when you have thousands of employees everyone has their own opinion. Ultimatlyey about 4 or 5 people make decisions at the top and they dont know the business enough to really make great choices. Main goal is move as much cheap labor as you can. but you sacrifice quality.

Same with the bears kicker on MNF. "you get what you pay for" :o

Small example. Our CFO wont give hardly any good raises to the customer service/support area who do most of the hard work and troubleshooting and day to day dealing with shit. They are highly trained not just answer the phone type shit. But im in finance and operations and a different office and we get whatever we want 70" flat screens i can travel wherever and get payed..xyz. But she will basically tell the call center that they cant order disposable spoons/forks/coffee stirs but she gave everyone a "spork"... But yet they blow 100k+ a year on lame software that no on ends up using but they wanna bitch about $40 in yearly plastic. >:(

• Platinum Contributing Member

The Oshowa plant has been on the decline since the bottom dropped out in 07 or so. Truck plant is done and Global Epsilon cars are being built there I believe. Pretty sure the whole pant will be done in the near future. Canadians just don't work as hard as those Mexicans :news: