Check your account email address ×

Winter 2017

1 hour ago, irv said:

Why?

No need to get up on top of the roof if you don't want too, but, then again, I didn't realize you could get insurance to cover that?

You can get coverage for weight of Ice and Snow on special cottage insurance programs. Aviva Elite being one of them. Definitely something that was and still is typically excluded on standard insurance policies.

7 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Nobody shovels the snow off their cottages up here and they have much more than any of those pics.  Most close their cottages and forget about them until spring, still standing after 50 years.

I thought about that after the fact. Numerous cottages sit idle all winter while the owners vacation in the south. Not that I have ever heard of a roof collapsing due to the snow load, I am sure it happens once in while on cottages/homes that weren't built well enough with the snow load in mind. 

6 hours ago, TheOtherDoonut said:

You can get coverage for weight of Ice and Snow on special cottage insurance programs. Aviva Elite being one of them. Definitely something that was and still is typically excluded on standard insurance policies.

I assume they inspected the cottage before hand before providing coverage for that? Not that I have done it in years, but when I use to go to my bud's parents cottage in Wilberforce, that is one the things his Father got us to do while we were up there.

Not that I am an expert, but that cottage/roof was well built imo and the roof was at such an angle/pitch, I don't think it would ever be able to hold enough snow to cave it in? 

4 minutes ago, TheOtherDoonut said:

No inspection required.

We got some serious friggen snow since Monday. This is Bala. Blizzaks for the win!

IMG_20170106_184436.jpg

IMG_20170106_184342.jpg

IMG_20170106_184330.jpg

Wow, I thought you were stuck for sure! Good tire to keep in mind when the time comes. :bc:

I left orangeville today at about 11:30, played around on some local trails before heading north, after getting through Shelburne there was a Police car sitting on the side of the road, as I stopped for the road he got out and said 'this is a RIDE check.. have you had any drinks today or last night'. it was no later than 12:15 lol. Say those two cops, two trail patrols checking permits and then on my way back ran into two police on sleds. Great day for a ride though, tons of snow north of Markdale. 

IMG_20170107_145314_460-VEXeLqiH.1483835

Edited by steve6

• Platinum Contributing Member

Tuesday warm up is looking better right now. TWN had 20-30 mm of rain when I looked Thursday. Now its 5mm rain with 10-15 cms snow.

We will be back in business here if it happens.

I rode from sled club house on Snow Valley to Wasaga for breakfast and back...nice little first shake down run, everything worked fine, including me....hard to believe it for a Cat!

It was brisk, light traffic heading out, much heavier coming back. Snow was thinner near Wasaga. It has been years since I rode that area....it is nice, a mixture of farm field and bush.

Can't say much about the people that decided to park in an already full parking lot at the club house....had to unhitch my trailer from the truck, move it by hand to pull out of my parking spot...:flush: 

Nice run though otherwise.

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Tuesday warm up is looking better right now. TWN had 20-30 mm of rain when I looked Thursday. Now its 5mm rain with 10-15 cms snow.

We will be back in business here if it happens.

This is a very strange sight....I am not use to the weather actually trying to cooperate with us vs. another kick to head.

Forecast is looking much better now :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Stoney said:

This is a very strange sight....I am not use to the weather actually trying to cooperate with us vs. another kick to head.

Forecast is looking much better now :bc:

Monday it will probably flip and go the other way....lol