Check your account email address ×

Winter 2017

For the record, it is hit and miss on that bearing.  Including the shitty suspension bearings.  I think the bearing suppliers are using Vasoline instead of high temp grease.  I'm really doubting the bearing suppliers and I've toasted dozens on my Doo's and Poo's in the last 5 or 6 years.  That axle bearing needs a grease fitting as well.  Northstar Performance make a cover with a grease fitting on it for the Poo.  You could tap a grease fitting into the existing housing you have now and before closing up the assembly remove the outer grease seal on the new bearing.  Grease it every 500 miles or monthly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Poncho said:

For the record, it is hit and miss on that bearing.  Including the shitty suspension bearings.  I think the bearing suppliers are using Vasoline instead of high temp grease.  I'm really doubting the bearing suppliers and I've toasted dozens on my Doo's and Poo's in the last 5 or 6 years.  That axle bearing needs a grease fitting as well.  Northstar Performance make a cover with a grease fitting on it for the Poo.  You could tap a grease fitting into the existing housing you have now and before closing up the assembly remove the outer grease seal on the new bearing.  Grease it every 500 miles or monthly. 

Well It has a fitting.. But they say its pointless due to the way the sensor is, the polaris sleds with the funny rear ends supposidely dont have the same setup as the regular indys

6 minutes ago, steve6 said:

Well It has a fitting.. But they say its pointless due to the way the sensor is, the polaris sleds with the funny rear ends supposidely dont have the same setup as the regular indys

Yes that's why the Northstar cover grease fitting is at the base which directs grease directly onto he bearing surface.  Either way, unless the inner bearing seal is removed no greasing will help the issue.  You can relocate the stock grease location to the base area and plug the original hole.

I'm referring to the idler wheel bearings in the rear skid.  Correct the Rush AXYS rears suspension points don't have grease ports, nor are they required.

for the last couple of years when replacing any sealed bearing NTN, Timken, SKS I remove the seals flush the Chinese cheap shit bearing grease, repack with high quality grease, reinstall seals and then install them into the idlers.

31 minutes ago, steve6 said:

For the record....who is "they say it's pointless".....your dealer??.  The industry really pisses me off in this respect.  I have not found a half decent sled mechanic since Al Knight at the Racers Edge.....shit that was 25 years ago.

i do all of my own maintenance....no one cares or knows what they are doing anymore.....my soap box...Cheers

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Poncho said:

For the record....who is "they say it's pointless".....your dealer??.  The industry really pisses me off in this respect.  I have not found a half decent sled mechanic since Al Knight at the Racers Edge.....shit that was 25 years ago.

i do all of my own maintenance....no one cares or knows what they are doing anymore.....my soap box...Cheers

But the book said 2 turns out??? 

Gone are the days when the mechanics repaired / maintained sleds based on their vast experience of what worked the best. Need to always remember the service manual is just a guideline......

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Poncho said:

just reading online, just because with all the space in that end piece no grease gets pushed into the bearing itself. i understand now that i've removed it. 

If they put grease fittings on every bearings average guy would either A not grease it and have a failure or B over grease it and cause heat and failure as all bearings need to be greased until you see grease correct?

so we get sealed bearings with some failures.

Now look at a sled bearing if unsealed how many would grease daily, weekly or monthly or not at all?  How many pumps would be put in?  

Sled manufacturers build for average guy not ocd on freedomsledder type maintenance gurus.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sksman said:

If they put grease fittings on every bearings average guy would either A not grease it and have a failure or B over grease it and cause heat and failure as all bearings need to be greased until you see grease correct?

so we get sealed bearings with some failures.

Now look at a sled bearing if unsealed how many would grease daily, weekly or monthly or not at all?  How many pumps would be put in?  

Sled manufacturers build for average guy not ocd on freedomsledder type maintenance gurus.

Exactly, most sledders just ride and do little or no maintenance or have little understanding of the mechanical requirements.

FYI, don't grease until you see grease unless you are servicing suspension axle shafts or 1968 Ford Mustangs....lol 

The single bearing Steve6 is referring too is located on the axle.  The cover shown in his picture might already have a grease fitting on it (my 14 Indy had a fitting) if it does I believe the servicing requirement was every 500 miles or so, with a caution not to over grease..  The dumb thing is, those are sealed bearing so greasing really does nothing.....

My point was and the easy fix now that it is apart.  Pop the seal in protected area so it can be easily serviced by grease..  Leave the exposed side sealed.  

It would be one grease fitting that would require grease every month or 500 miles....I could see why that would be a challenge for you.

14 hours ago, Poncho said:

Seriously, you mean I have to carry a grease gun in my saddle bags now.......lol

Common Man!

2 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

Try NAPA 6205J ?

Do you have the oe poo # ?

Its not a standard 6205.. almost but the outside is tapered. Polaris wants $60, I guess ill just do that if I cant find one cheaper. 3514617 is the part number. I am glad I didn't try and drive it back to the truck and muck up anything else, makes an easy repair