Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

• Platinum Contributing Member

I have a 4 pound beef striploin in the smoker now. Its at 138. I'm reading that I should pull it at 140.

The meat is tough. I've bbq'd a few pieces and its real chewy.

If I let it sit at 140 for another hour will it help it or hurt it?

16 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I have a 4 pound beef striploin in the smoker now. Its at 138. I'm reading that I should pull it at 140.

if its tough it will stay tough all the way to about 200 degrees when the connective tissue starts to break down 

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

if its tough it will stay tough all the way to about 200 degrees when the connective tissue starts to break down 

So I should just keep it in there and cook the shit out of it?

I have the temp at 230 right now.

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

So I should just keep it in there and cook the shit out of it?

I have the temp at 230 right now.

Well what were you intending to do with it???? 198 or so degrees and you will have shredded beef that will be tender. You have already cooked it past medium rare

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Also a strip loin should not be tough at all , its not a tough cut of meat 

I know but trust me, it is. I'm not sure what the deal was with this but I bought the same cut from the same place a couple months ago and it was fantastic. This piece had the same label but was cheaper. I wasn't sure why but now I know.

Anything edible is all I'm looking for. Shedded beef sounds great. I have a few more pounds of this crap to use up.

I cranked it to 250. Hope it doesn't take all night.

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

I know but trust me, it is. I'm not sure what the deal was with this but I bought the same cut from the same place a couple months ago and it was fantastic. This piece had the same label but was cheaper. I wasn't sure why but now I know.

Anything edible is all I'm looking for. Shedded beef sounds great. I have a few more pounds of this crap to use up.

I cranked it to 250. Hope it doesn't take all night.

Its gonna take a few hours to get from 160 to the 200. Yes it will be delicious shredded. Add some onion and pepper and a decent bbq sauce and you will have delicious sammy's

I get a tough cut from time to time when buying choice beef but its to be expected 

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Its gonna take a few hours to get from 160 to the 200. Yes it will be delicious shredded. Add some onion and pepper and a decent bbq sauce and you will have delicious sammy's

I get a tough cut from time to time when buying choice beef but its to be expected 

He can wrap it in foil to help beat the stall.

Just now, ckf said:

I had to give you a like for that one. We need to keep you on top :lol:

I'm going to hire MZN to fill your skull full of special pudding in the middle of some dark night in the near future :bigfinger:

• Like 2

I'm going to hire MZN to fill your skull full of special pudding in the middle of some dark night in the near future :bigfinger:

That fucking clown couldn't find a fly if it was buzzing around in his nose :lol:

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

Where else can you get advise on snowmobiles, politics and BBQ'ing, all on the same site? :lol:

No idea.

Does f7ben answer questions on another site? He seems to be the Grand Pubba on those 3 topics.

• Like 1

Just now, Blackstar said:

No idea.

Does f7ben answer questions on another site? He seems to be the Grand Pubba on those 3 topics.

True that :lol:

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

A strip loin has little fat and is overcooked at 138. Med rare should be pulled at around 125, the carry over cooking will take it to low 130's.

2 minutes ago, Doos said:

A strip loin has little fat and is overcooked at 138. Med rare should be pulled at around 125, the carry over cooking will take it to low 130's.

I pull beef at 115-120 internal and it ends up a bit higher. Makes a nice rare/medium cook

31 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No idea.

Not sure what the Bipolarhooknose knows about BBQing but he knows sweet fuck all about politics and what he thinks he knows is :wrong: and what he knows most about snowmobiles is how to wreck them :) 

1 minute ago, Momorider said:

Not sure what the Bipolarhooknose knows about BBQing but he knows sweet fuck all about politics and what he thinks he knows is  and what he knows most about snowmobiles is how to wreck them :) 

I wrench on sleds all year every year momo , you have proven what you know........nada

I pull beef at 115-120 internal and it ends up a bit higher. Makes a nice rare/medium cook

Depends on the cut and weight, bigger the cut the more the carry over. 4 lbs will have decent carry over.

Just now, Doos said:

Depends on the cut and weight, bigger the cut the more the carry over. 4 lbs will have decent carry over.

I pulled the chuck eye's at 130 last night and they came out great! Nicole said it was the best steak she ever had.

• Like 1

Just now, ckf said:

I pulled the chuck eye's at 130 last night and they came out great! Nicole said it was the best steak she ever had.

Nice! My wife likes her meat well done, hence the reason she doesn't care for me.

• Like 1