Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

9 minutes ago, Doos said:

I would recommend a different brand of lump, of all the different brands I've tried that shit is the worst. Odd flavor and doesn't burn well.

Royal Oak is cheap and can be found at Home Depot. I use mostly Rockwood, you can get it at Firecraft.com for $21 a 20lb bag, order $100 worth and you get free shipping. Fogo lump is the best, a bit spendy but it lasts a long time.

100% agree with you! Cowboys is made at a oak floor scrap place. The chunks are big and don't burn well when slow cooking, not enough air. Meijer by me sells Cowboys and Menards sells Royal Oak. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Doos said:

Smoked a prime strip roast with post oak, it was good.

Been taking more pics of food than my kids, so I didn't take any pics.

I did a prime rib yesterday myself. Turned out very good

20170422_161436.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ckf said:

Use half for prime rib and cut the other half in to steaks.

I always do that when I should just cut the whole thing into steaks, saves a ton of money buying steak this way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doos said:

I always do that when I should just cut the whole thing into steaks, saves a ton of money buying steak this way.

I've got a couple of thick chuck eyes to reverse sear for dinner :bbq:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I've got a couple of thick chuck eyes to reverse sear for dinner :bbq:

Good call on the reverse sear, great cut of meat for it. Do you use any wood for smoke?

9 minutes ago, ckf said:

Especially when it's free :lol:

friend is a fruit farmer no cost to me, i go and get a truck load of their trimmings and run them through my  chipper and presto apple wood chips

• Like 1

absolutely love chuck eye's , and they are perfect for a reverse sear. So much nice marbling to slowly melt through the cut. I havent seen any down here in indianastan

I'm doing 15lbs of chicken breast today that has been soaking for 5 days 

• Like 1

20170429_180316_1.jpg

Here is half the chicken breasts ....turned out delicious. Today I took one of them and sliced it 1/4" thick. Tossed it in some soy , worcestershire sauce , black pepper , red pepper flake and cayenne. It went into the dehydrator 10 minutes ago. We'll see how it turns out.

• Like 1

Rob got a dehydrator last fall to make dried chicken treats for his dog, Fendi. I think he decided it was to much work, he gets them already done on Ebay or Amazon now.