Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

Doing a little experimenting. 4lb prime rib , no bones. Traditional paste rub of oil , garlic , salt pepper rosemary sage and thyme.

Where the experimenting comes in is I have placed it in a thick cast iron pan and then put it on the smoker. I love cooking in cast iron pans and I want to capture every bit of the juices.

We'll see how this works

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Doing a little experimenting. 4lb prime rib , no bones. Traditional paste rub of oil , garlic , salt pepper rosemary sage and thyme.

Where the experimenting comes in is I have placed it in a thick cast iron pan and then put it on the smoker. I love cooking in cast iron pans and I want to capture every bit of the juices.

We'll see how this works

Love prime rib. I have a half moon cast iron section I put right above the fire ring for searing at the end. Works awesome.

http://urbanbonfire.com/store/images/product/b/big-green-egg-half-moon-cast-iron-griddle-for-xl-egg-600px-600px.png

Edited by Doos

1 minute ago, Doos said:

Love prime rib. I have a half moon cast iron section I put right above the fire ring for searing at the end. Works awesome.

http://urbanbonfire.com/store/images/product/b/big-green-egg-half-moon-cast-iron-griddle-for-xl-egg-600px-600px.png

Damn that is cool ....I wish those were the same diameter as the akorn as I'd buy them

damn those are beautiful

Just made the au jus - 3 cups beef broth , 1 tbsp soy , 1 tsp garlic powder and salt pepper to taste. Pretty much how every restaurant does it. I'll add the drippings and crumbly's from the rib to it as well

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

damn those are beautiful

Just made the au jus - 3 cups beef broth , 1 tbsp soy , 1 tsp garlic powder and salt pepper to taste. Pretty much how every restaurant does it. I'll add the drippings and crumbly's from the rib to it as well

Do you have a roast rack? Works great helping the roast cook evenly, and all the good stuff just sits underneath.

They also work well for sitting racks of ribs in.

14 minutes ago, Doos said:

Do you have a roast rack? Works great helping the roast cook evenly, and all the good stuff just sits underneath.

They also work well for sitting racks of ribs in.

I dont , to be honest I have been completely derelict in my duty as a passionate grillman ......its something I love but I never pay it any mind until its saturday morning and i'm like....fuck it....I'm cooking meat today

2 minutes ago, Doos said:

Epic

:lol: no ....some of the stuff you cook is epic. This was delicious though and I am blessed to have a butcher who puts out good meat in a small town like this. Place has been a rock with great pricing and quality meat almost 100% of the time since I've been here. That rib was just a tick under 4lb at 7.29 per or something. Great shop here in Hamilton Indiana

14 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Also I love that Bells Porter in with the meat......that was a nice touch lolz

That was to show how thick the meat was haha.

well cooked prime rib is epic in my book. Maybe my favorite, beef ribs are right there though. :bc

Just now, Doos said:

That was to show how thick the meat was haha.

well cooked prime rib is epic in my book. Maybe my favorite, beef ribs are right there though. :bc

watch what I'm gonna do right here though.....standby !!!

I had a bone in filet mignon at a steak house while in Tulsa OK. Holy fuck was it good.  Glad I was there for work and swiping the company credit card, $120 steak. Came back and asked my butcher if he could cut me a few? He laughed and said my cheep ass wouldn't pay $50 a pound. He was right,haven't had one since.:lmao: 

Just now, Woodtick said:

I had a bone in filet mignon at a steak house while in Tulsa OK. Holy fuck was it good.  Glad I was there for work and swiping the company credit card, $120 steak. Came back and asked my butcher if he could cut me a few? He laughed and said my cheep ass wouldn't pay $50 a pound. He was right,haven't had one since.:lmao: 

:lol: Its tough to replicate a 100$ steak in a prime joint ....even if you get the right cut they have their system for cooking to perfection down tight

When the chef came out to ask how are meal was and where we were from,he informed me all of their steaks come from the back  of the yards in Chicago.:lmao:I told him I do some refrigeration work in that shit hole area of the city. I knew the place he gets them from, dirty old shit hole. We all laughed are ass off. 

8 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

My employer encourages us to spend obscene amounts of money eating out. Fortunate enough to eat at some good steak houses. I still prefer my steaks however. ;)

Costco has prime ribeye roasts for $10 a lb, cut your own steaks. Good stuff.