Check your account email address ×

GM and Ram going aluminum

12 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Here are the weights of a lariat and ltz certified scales from putc max tow show down.  The f150 in equal form is at least 400 lbs lighter then a comparable model chevy or gmc....  But gm doesnt make anything close to the luxury and features as a platinum or limited ford.  Gm's topped out model is equvalent to a no optioned lariat.

image.png

18's vs 20's, 6 speed vs 8 speed, bed liner vs no bed liner, who know what other options as fords aren't very good trucks.

even it all out and the Ford barely has a weight advantage. Pretty sad really. They just caught up only to get left behind again 

• Gold Member
5 minutes ago, Sludgey said:

18's vs 20's, 6 speed vs 8 speed, bed liner vs no bed liner, who know what other options as fords aren't very good trucks.

even it all out and the Ford barely has a weight advantage. Pretty sad really. They just caught up only to get left behind again 

Ford has 10 gallons more fuel on board.  Top of the line gm is equivalent to a lariat.  But the gmin top level trim isnt as refined or as nice as a lariat.  High country or denali is like a base lariat with no additional options.  Ford is lighter by a couple hundred pounds then an equal gm.

Edited by BOHICA

11 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Ford has 10 gallons more fuel on board.  Top of the line gm is equivalent to a lariat.  But the gmin top level trim isnt as refined or as nice as a lariat.  High country or denali is like a base lariat with no additional options.  Ford is lighter by a couple hundred pounds then an equal gm.

It's 81 lbs. Could be plus minus a few depending on options. Hardly anything really. Going to get pretty ugly for Ford 

• Gold Member
15 minutes ago, Sludgey said:

It's 81 lbs. Could be plus minus a few depending on options. Hardly anything really. Going to get pretty ugly for Ford 

Nope incorrect.  I have provided 2 links showing several hundred pounds.  Platinum is so much nicer then any gm pickup.  Again you cant compare any truck to a platinum especially from gm....  The top line gm's are equivalent to a base lariat which is easily 400+ pounds lighter then a denali or high country.

I mean on top of the line gm's you still have to manual lower the tailgate, dont have a twin panel moon roof that runs over the back seats, seats that dont massage you or even 360 caneras.  So many features are missing on a denali or high country to be anything other then a comparison to a lariat.  Ltz's are like xlt's

Edited by BOHICA

Just now, BOHICA said:

Nope incorrect.  I have provided 2 links showing several hundred pounds.  Platinum is so much nicer then any gm pickup.  Again you cant compare any truck to a platinum especially from gm....  The top line gm's are equivalent to a base lariat which is easily 400+ pounds lighter then a denali or high country.

I mean on top of the line gm's you still have to manual lower the tailgate, dont have a twin panel moon roof that runs over the back seats, seats that dont message you or even 360 caneras.  So many features are missing on a denali or high country to be anything other then a comparison to a lariat.  Ltz's are like xlt's

You're wasting your time. He won't listen to the truth. 

• Gold Member

GM has cost tax payers in the US 75 billion....  You think they could make a competitive full size pickup instead of the substandard heavy full size trucks they do now that needs huge incentives to even sell with the 75 billion in free money they got.  Gm pays no taxes on profits.  Hasn't for some time now.  They gladly pay taxes to china though and make vehicles over there and ship her.  Obama must think gm is a person rather then a cooperation.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/03/31/wheres-presidential-debate-on-gms-crony-capitalism.html

The reason for GM’s low tax bill: A big fat tax break in the bailout. This sweetheart deal from the Obama Administration let GM deduct $45.4 billion in costs going forward, against current year taxes, even though it discharged those sums in bankruptcy.

The $45.4 billion included things like its losses in the years before GM entered bankruptcy, costs for its pensions and post-retirement benefits, as well as costs for its equipment and factories. That means the actual cost of GM’s bailout to taxpayers is much higher, likely on the order of nearly $75 billion, tax experts note.

• Platinum Contributing Member

What is it, once a week some Ford Tramp stamp wearing fan Boi has to post up something to try and beat Chevy down? FFS you're like the snowrider of FoMoCo. 

9 hours ago, Ebsell said:

Panels are all made to be replaced. Faster and cheaper in the long run 

Not really.

A lot of factors go into deciding if we will replace a panel.

With bolt on panels it  is a little more cut & dry, but then again........

Price of panel

Is your insurance company going to replace with aftermarket....yup.

Customer doesn't want to go insurance.

What color is the car, are you going to have to blend into adjacent panels.

Personally , I would rather easily repair a welded on panel, then cut that panel off a vehicle.

Shops that can't repair and only replace don't have that option.

38 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Not really.

A lot of factors go into deciding if we will replace a panel.

With bolt on panels it  is a little more cut & dry, but then again........

Price of panel

Is your insurance company going to replace with aftermarket....yup.

Customer doesn't want to go insurance.

What color is the car, are you going to have to blend into adjacent panels.

Personally , I would rather easily repair a welded on panel, then cut that panel off a vehicle.

Shops that can't repair and only replace don't have that option.

I'm talking on my own vehicle. Brother is a bodyman.i used to buy a lot of smashed stuff and never fixed a panel if it had any amount of damage. Was always faster to just replace it 

1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

What is it, once a week some Ford Tramp stamp wearing fan Boi has to post up something to try and beat Chevy down? FFS you're like the snowrider of FoMoCo. 

Fuck off gimpy. Sludgy has gone on and on about how bad aluminum is for over 2 years now. He deserves to take his owned and STFU :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, Ebsell said:

Fuck off gimpy. Sludgy has gone on and on about how bad aluminum is for over 2 years now. He deserves to take his owned and STFU :bc:

He should've known for the past 2 years + that GM was developing new trucks that incorporate aluminum if he's that much of a GM fan Boi.

But you Ford guys are really touchy when it comes to GM...not so much Dodge  :lol::bc: 

16 hours ago, snowstorm said:

how is he going to feel when international starts building trucks for chevy in 2018. class 4 and 5 ih truck with gm power

Navistar has nothing to do with Ford anymore....

15 hours ago, Ebsell said:

Not by a lot. 4 or 5 hundred pounds I think. Sludgy says it's because Chevey is engineered better , truth is Chev are built lighter because they are built cheaper lol. 

There is a lot of truth in that!

My 13 Ram is still problem free with almost 50,000 km's on it. I did upgrade the brakes/rotors (slotted/drilled) when it came time for a brake job, but that was only because I got them at cost and my buddy, who is a mechanic, owed me one.

Ram for the win! :bc:

IMG_0278 (Medium) (Small).JPG

17 hours ago, Skidooski said:

Old news fellas. Been in the works for a long time now. Light duty and SUV at least. Heavy duty staying with steel

I also see GM sticking with a lightweight high strength steel for the bed :bc: 

Ford tough!!

Edited by Mileage Psycho

Can someone please explain to me the point of arguing about weight on trucks that have a longer cab than they do bed?  These 1/2 ton trucks nowadays are almost as worthless as a Subaru with a trailer.  Why people pay $40k+ for these trucks is crazy.

2 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Can someone please explain to me the point of arguing about weight on trucks that have a longer cab than they do bed?  These 1/2 ton trucks nowadays are almost as worthless as a Subaru with a trailer.  Why people pay $40k+ for these trucks is crazy.

I concur..I would buy a full size suv first and haul my chit in a damn trailer.

Edited by Capt.Storm

1 hour ago, irv said:

There is a lot of truth in that!

My 13 Ram is still problem free with almost 50,000 km's on it. I did upgrade the brakes/rotors (slotted/drilled) when it came time for a brake job, but that was only because I got them at cost and my buddy, who is a mechanic, owed me one.

Ram for the win! :bc:

IMG_0278 (Medium) (Small).JPG

Pffft!!! I have the same truck only mine is a 2015 and has 50,000 MILES on it. Been absolutely flawless. Love this truck.