Check your account email address ×

The death of the internal combustion engine

Some will never get it, but there is still a lot of people who view a car as more than just transportation.

Next weekend 1.7 million will flood Woodward ave. to celebrate and rejoice in the combustible engine.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Some will never get it, but there is still a lot of people who view a car as more than just transportation.

Next weekend 1.7 million will flood Woodward ave. to celebrate and rejoice in the combustible engine.  

:bc: I'll be there Saturday

Electric motors are awesome .....but as was mentioned. Power generation is going to be largely reliant upon fossil fuels for a long time to come so while electric motors and batteries are a big deal they are certainly no magic bullet in getting away from halo carbons 

3 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

:bc: I'll be there Saturday

Probably go this Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday.  Have to see how it goes, long haul for me with 4-11 gears and 3 speed.

The actual Saturday we get down early make a couple of runs, eat breakfast, and spend the day hanging around Bloomfield by square lk.   

22 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Electric motors are awesome .....but as was mentioned. Power generation is going to be largely reliant upon fossil fuels for a long time to come so while electric motors and batteries are a big deal they are certainly no magic bullet in getting away from halo carbons 

Until they figure out cold weather the EV will never completely take over the roads and trails.  

12 hours ago, XC.Morrison said:

Sorry, didn't mean to post that many times-didn't seem like it went through.

When I checked into FS this morning I seen I had 27 responses and I was like whoa, I must of really pissed some people off. :lol: 

17 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yep.  Nearly 400km (250 miles) of range is more than plenty for 95% of all driving. To think otherwise is just being asinine.  

This.

Test driving a Tesla woke me up to what electrics can do.

Ludicrous mode make you happy!!

17 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Yep.  Nearly 400km (250 miles) of range is more than plenty for 95% of all driving. To think otherwise is just being asinine.  

Sure it is.  I just don't think it's something to brag about.

27 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Wind power makes 35% of Iowa's electricity and it should be 40% by 2020.

4 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Until they figure out cold weather the EV will never completely take over the roads and trails.  

It will get figured out sooner than later, there will probably alway be a spot for IC, it's just that spot will continue to shrink with time,

Jesus you're a dipshit

I guess I have to type this again.

I think you have to read this with a grain of salt.  Sure, ev will replace some, but it's going to be long after we are dead before the IC engine dies.

Edited by racer254

10 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

It will get figured out sooner than later, there will probably alway be a spot for IC, it's just that spot will continue to shrink with time,

http://www.audubon.org/news/will-wind-turbines-ever-be-safe-birds

racer, there's good reason why everyone thinks you're the biggest dumb shit on the internets. I honestly wonder if you're some 12 year old kid, with no real world experience in anything, typing away on dad's PC in the basement.

battery powered cars have made great strides over the years. for you to come in here and laugh at them, then state "they're nothing to brag about" just shows your ignorance.

Edited by Snoslinger

2 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I'll take the twin turbo Mustang all day/any day over something that looks like a fucking Toyota Camry.

Don't let the looks fool you, the model s will likely smoke that mustang in a race. Those things are rockets.

1 minute ago, Snoslinger said:

there's good reason why everyone thinks you're the biggest dumb shit on the internets. I honestly wonder if you're some 12 year old kid, with no real world experience in anything, typing away on dad's PC in the basement.

battery powered cars have made great strides over the years. for you come in here and laugh at them, then state "they're nothing to brag about" just your stupidity.

Sorry, I am not some liberal pantywaist that gets all hot and bothered reading about how the internal combustion engine will end soon.

I like the smell of race gas and oil being burnt.

10 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

and its under 8% of the total ....who gives a shit about Iowa :lol: its a baron wasteland of nothingness

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Of which is sold or trying to be sold to you electricity hogs in Illinois. :lol:  Personally I don't know why there isn't a much larger push for solar especially in the SW.   Like on a wall that borders Mexico. :lol:  

It will but they will need to find a different storage catalyst than currently used.  Also keep in mind there is only so much lithium capable of being mined.   I read a report at current usage around 350 years.   That dwindles dramatically when replacing most on the road cars with EV's and current battery tech.   From on article down to around 50 years.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/602245/why-we-still-dont-have-better-batteries/

31 minutes ago, Cold War said:

Probably go this Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday.  Have to see how it goes, long haul for me with 4-11 gears and 3 speed.

The actual Saturday we get down early make a couple of runs, eat breakfast, and spend the day hanging around Bloomfield by square lk.   

I have yet to go during the week but I hear it's a little better not nearly as congested and you can have a bit more fun. I just love to see, and smell lol, the old cars! We had the Back to the Bricks tune up car show Wednesday here in town that had 3 times as many cars as last year. 

Onandaga opened back up for racing :thumb: Might have to go check it out soon

8 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Of which is sold or trying to be sold to you electricity hogs in Illinois. :lol:  Personally I don't know why there isn't a much larger push for solar especially in the SW.   Like on a wall that borders Mexico. :lol:  

It will but they will need to find a different storage catalyst than currently used.  Also keep in mind there is only so much lithium capable of being mined.   I read a report at current usage around 350 years.   That dwindles dramatically when replacing most on the road cars with EV's and current battery tech.   From on article down to around 50 years.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/602245/why-we-still-dont-have-better-batteries/

It needs to do better than what it's trying to replace.  Then come out with designs that are not geared for either homo's or old geezers.

26 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

I have yet to go during the week but I hear it's a little better not nearly as congested and you can have a bit more fun. I just love to see, and smell lol, the old cars! We had the Back to the Bricks tune up car show Wednesday here in town that had 3 times as many cars as last year. 

Onandaga opened back up for racing :thumb: Might have to go check it out soon

Right.   Saturday is a parking lot, you are moving at a mile an hour.   During the week the cars are moving and you will see a ton more.  A lot of the big stuff is out that can't idle in traffic and stay cool.