Check your account email address ×

Sources ; Ford , gubermint motors looking to kill slow selling sedans

They're not dumb enough to cut the Taurus and the  Fusion with some kind of replacement, Ford knows better than to abandon the Camry/Accord market. I mean they're not going to suddenly make quality, reliable vehicles like the Japs do, but they'll absofuckinglutely have something with 4 doors that's roughly Camry sized for the sheeple that still think buying an "American" made car means something.

• Platinum Contributing Member

Something is up because even the guys in AVD at the GM Tech Center are sitting on their hands with not much to do. There's just not many programs being revised or new designs rolled out right now. FCA already killed off some of it's car lines. As soon as gas prices go back up the trucks will start to slump in sales.

We just bid on some NextEv work and hopefully we'll get it. It would be nice to get into that part of the market.

24 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

None of this sounds good for American auto workers.

Tough business. They worked their tail off coming up with better small cars when gas was up, now those same cars are collecting dust. It's a constantly moving target.

11 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

Really?  I always thought they were getting bigger 

The company I work for is based out of South Korea and we are developing a North American Headquarters here in MI for FCA and GM etc to bolster up this portion of the market. They are doing this because projections show that Hyundai / Kia will not be growing like they have...peaking out for a while. 

2 hours ago, Edmo said:

Tough business. They worked their tail off coming up with better small cars when gas was up, now those same cars are collecting dust. It's a constantly moving target.

GM is getting smaller and smaller, sold off Opel and Vaxhaull and Holden closing, then you have them killing off model lines etc. All with record profits too :wall: 

• Like 1

hard to just abandon cars  though because if gas goes to $4 gallon they will be in again as long as they can keep a MPG advantage,  not having anything economical really hurt the big 3 last time fuel went up so if they can be somewhere near break even on them prob worth keeping.  Too many models IMO, all the manufacturers kept up sizing their cars from where they were traditionally then filling in with a model below further breaking up the market but making it harder to make money when business is slow.  

13 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

The company I work for is based out of South Korea and we are developing a North American Headquarters here in MI for FCA and GM etc to bolster up this portion of the market. They are doing this because projections show that Hyundai / Kia will not be growing like they have...peaking out for a while. 

I didnt realize that.  Damn 

7 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

GM is getting smaller and smaller, sold off Opel and Vaxhaull and Holden closing, then you have them killing off model lines etc. All with record profits too :wall: 

gm lost money overseas consistently,  why keep this markets open just to say your a bigger manufacturer.  Good on them for finally figuring out how to be profitable,  when I worked for a subsidiary GM was a financial company that happened to make cars with the profits everything else spun off.    

Just now, xcr700 said:

I didnt realize that.  Damn 

Sounds like they have or might be hitting ta plateau. At least that's what the Koreans here say

15 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

gm lost money overseas consistently,  why keep this markets open just to say your a bigger manufacturer.  Good on them for finally figuring out how to be profitable,  when I worked for a subsidiary GM was a financial company that happened to make cars with the profits everything else spun off.    

China has been a big market that they have tried to tap into. Europe, Korea and a little in Brazil et all. France is trying to stop all sales of gas and diesel powered vehicles by 2040 so this big push for the EV's is starting to really change the market IMO.

With some of these Tier One Suppliers the whole "Global Supplier" was some sort of badge of honor and it was even pushed by the manufacturers to be global and have plants set up in certain areas to support certain programs. Now that they seem to be scaling back I wonder what that will do to these suppliers.

I just don't see a whole lot coming down the pipe from FCA and GM right now. The Auto Industry cycles quiet a bit but I'm starting to wonder how much of a lag this will be.

2 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

I hope they don't go in the shiter 

No nothing like that! Just that their sales and growth are starting to plane of I guess. 

14 hours ago, Wildboer said:

They're not dumb enough to cut the Taurus and the  Fusion with some kind of replacement, Ford knows better than to abandon the Camry/Accord market. I mean they're not going to suddenly make quality, reliable vehicles like the Japs do, but they'll absofuckinglutely have something with 4 doors that's roughly Camry sized for the sheeple that still think buying an "American" made car means something.

The article said Taurus and Fiesta 

We'd be better off shitcanning the Fusion than the Taurus :flush:

15 hours ago, Wildboer said:

They did cut it for the 500 in the mid-2000's.  Good cars, but it was kind of like "WTF is a Ford 500?"

6 hours ago, SVT Renegade XRS said:

The article said Taurus and Fiesta 

We'd be better off shitcanning the Fusion than the Taurus :flush:

You'd be better off if you could get your shit together and compete with Jap reliability. :news:

5 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

They did cut it for the 500 in the mid-2000's.  Good cars, but it was kind of like "WTF is a Ford 500?"

Exactly, then they came to their senses and started calling it a Taurus again...