Check your account email address ×

real world weights

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I prefer the ready to ride with fluids information.  To be fair they should weigh them all with five gallons of fuel but full of oil and coolant.  Because I don't know... aren't the sleds filled with coolant before they leave the factory @krom?  I'd certainly want to believe they would be but :dunno:

That f'ng 9R Khaos sure is light... speaking of, where's @Gym Ramstud been?  The poor fucker must losing his mind this winter worse than @ZR6000RR

AC sleds are shipped full of fluids EXCEPT for fuel (bone dry) and injection oil (enough in the bottom of the tank to prime the system).

Full is the easiest way for the testers

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, krom said:

AC sleds are shipped full of fluids EXCEPT for fuel (bone dry) and injection oil (enough in the bottom of the tank to prime the system).

Full is the easiest way for the testers

Not 100% accurate. Cat now adds fuel to the tank (no idea how much), as they were taking out fuel pumps. No idea, but probably a gallon. Straight from the guy, nearly last in line who starts every sled. Good to take a tour, now and again, you putz!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mnstang said:

Do you often start your day by syphoning out all your fuel and then adding 6 gallons?

Everytime we stay at the same place I will siphon out your fuel and add it to mine.  Make sure you have at least 6 gal.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, AK440 said:

They talk about all of those factors in the video. That’s why dry weight is a lot more accurate of a standard to use to compare machines. Dirt bikes used to be listed this way as it prevented bikes with big gas tanks from being penalized. However wet weight is definitely the easiest way for the media and consumers to compare machines. 

Who the fuck rides a dry sled?

• Like 1

I'd like to know why aren't we talking about brake reservoir capacity and adjusting their levels so they're all the same?

It's unfair to have low brake reservoir capacity!  

Also.  We should be putting a meth tank in every sled for weigh in.  It's unfair skidoo has to run one and not everybody else.

Also.  Skidoo has shot and that's unfair so we should weigh the skidoo with a regular lead acid battery.

Basically we need to make all the sleds exactly the same so everything is "fair".  Then they will all weigh the same and there will be no winners and losers.  Brilliant!  I can't think of a single thing that could go wrong with this mentality.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tommcat said:

the lightest sled we've had on the scales came in at 368 pounds

Your weight numbers are aren’t worth a shit. 

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

I'd like to know why aren't we talking about brake reservoir capacity and adjusting their levels so they're all the same?

Also.  We should be putting a meth tank in every sled for weigh in.  It's unfair skidoo has to run one and not everybody else.

Also.  Skidoo has shot and that's unfair so we should weigh the skidoo with a regular lead acid battery.

Basically we need to make all the sleds exactly the same so everything is "fair".  Then they will all weigh the same and there will be no winners and losers.  Brilliant!  I can't think of a single thing that could go wrong with this mentality.

but wait... WEIGHT!!!  

Polaris sleds were using HOT fuel

Gas stations in the U.S. sell three primary grades of gasoline based on the octane level: Regular (the lowest-grade octane fuel – generally 87), Midgrade (the middle range octane fuel – typically 89–90), and Premium (the highest-grade octane fuel – usually 91–94). Regular fuel is the lightest and weighs about 6.073 pounds per gallon in +59 F temperature, while Midgrade and Premium gas weigh 6.35 pounds and 6.27 pounds, respectively, in the same conditions.

Temperature heavily influences gas weight. For instance, a gallon of premium 93-octane fuel fluctuates between 5.93 to 6.42 pounds, depending on temperature and additives like methanol, water, and benzene. Volume is another heavily dependent factor, but it’s easy to make calculations. An increase of 1 F adds one ppm to the volume, meaning a temperature difference of 30 F may expand it by 3%. All this means that if you’re, for instance, refueling during winter, you will be pouring more gas into the vehicle. 

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-guides/how-much-does-gasoline-weigh-per-gallon

7 hours ago, mnstang said:

I'd make the sleds all the same colors as some colors may be heavier than others:lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tripleflipper said:

I'd make the sleds all the same colors as some colors may be heavier than others:lol:

Stripes so they get the slimming effect.

• Haha 1

I knocked my catalyst off its stand and it flopped over on its side. Let me tell you it was heavy to pick up off the ground. Anyone got a deal on a new windshield and handle bars that aren’t bent?