Check your account email address ×

Cat 858 at dynotech

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Ouch 

Nothing revolutionary 

looks like it dives hard after 7800. Probably has a really conservative tune like the 800

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

8 years to catch up and that's the best they can do?

Hopefully it's reliable.

Can’t really push any more hp per cc, and meet emissions. Maybe if they could take it to 8500 rpm but nobody seems to want to do that 

Cat needs a four stroke to fit in this chassis.

Two Stokes are dead here.

On our trip last week we stopped trail side for 30 minutes or so.

Out of 50 sleds that passed,  three were 2 strokes.

In our group of 10 there was.

Seven 900 ace

One 900 turbo 130

One turbo r

One sidewinder.

Just now, awful knawful said:

Seven 900 ace

One 900 turbo 130

One turbo r

One sidewinder.

:lol: 

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

IDK about the 50 sleds but in Quebec and the Maritimes it's probably 9-10 are 4 strokes. Big mile riders go there and do 300-400 miles a day with gas stops not just around the corner. We have a bunch of guys who go there and put 5-6000 miles a year. Couple of friends had over 20k miles on their 1200's. Different world up there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

How many miles do you have this year?

If you want a reliable, high HP trail sled that gets decent mileage, four stroke is the only way to go.

Just the young guys on mountain sleds with cans want a two Stokes or the guys going from bar to bar.

Big milers don't give 2 fucks about 30 or 40 pounds.

3 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

IDK about the 50 sleds but in Quebec and the Maritimes it's probably 9-10 are 4 strokes. Big mile riders go there and do 300-400 miles a day with gas stops not just around the corner. We have a bunch of guys who go there and put 5-6000 miles a year. Couple of friends had over 20k miles on their 1200's. Different world up there.

We are in NB and right on the Quebec border. Sporting lodges are in the middle of nowhere and gas is not everywhere.

8 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

If you want a reliable, high HP trail sled that gets decent mileage, four stroke is the only way to go.

Just the young guys on mountain sleds with cans want a two Stokes or the guys going from bar to bar.

Maybe the big milers who are on the frozen highways in Quebec.  Around here, wrestling that 40 extra pounds on the front of the sled all day is going to make a big difference.  

image.thumb.png.f278ee98efc178510ba5ddcb3af34e09.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, J. Jackson said:

I can see that but the reason isn’t gas mileage , it’s being able to hold the sleds clamped at 90+ for 50 miles straight and not burn them down. The current two strokes get better mileage than the equivalent hp 4s sleds 

57 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

I understand , I’ve had many of both. I just can’t believe there are than many Ace sleds rolling around there. I’ve never seen a 900 turbo on the trail here. Not one. 

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I’ve never seen a 900 turbo on the trail here. Not one. 

buddy has one... it's not as horrible to ride as I imagined it would be but certainly not my cup of tea.  

• Like 1

• Gold Member
Posted (edited)
On 3/2/2024 at 9:48 AM, Crnr2Crnr said:

buddy has one... it's not as horrible to ride as I imagined it would be but certainly not my cup of tea.  

I rode my buddies 900 turbo few weeks back. Couldnt get use to the engine braking . Still like my Haybaler much better and felt almost as fast. But it did pull nice and I can see up in NEK , ME and Canada it being in its element . We were on tight trails. 

Edited by EvilBird

1 minute ago, EvilBird said:

I rode my buddies 900 turbo few weeks back. Couldnt get use to the engine braking . Still like my Haybaler much better and felt almost as fast. But it did pull nice and I can see up in NEK , ME and Canada it being in its element . We were on tight trails. 

B7B5D8EA-1410-46ED-BA62-493CCCA8D2B7.jpeg

:thumbsup: reminded me of an engine brake on a diesel

he's going to toss a tune into his once the warranty is up... will have to look and see if he can upgrade to the 2025 front end.  didn't care for how it turned and held a line, but I ride Cat's with a great front end. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

Seven 900 ace

One 900 turbo 130

One turbo r

One sidewinder.

Yup they better get a 4stroke to fit in there if they wanna keep those guys. 80-20 from what I saw and I’ve never seen more pogo stick skandics tundras whatever they are outside a ski resort than I did up there lol. Even up there I preferred my old junk 2smoke over a winder the weight difference is very noticeable sure you give up some power and reliability worth it to me.

1 minute ago, 800renegaderider said:

Yup they better get a 4stroke to fit in there if they wanna keep those guys. 80-20 from what I saw and I’ve never seen more pogo stick skandics tundras whatever they are outside a ski resort than I did up there lol. Even up there I preferred my old junk 2smoke over a winder the weight difference is very noticeable sure you give up some power and reliability worth it to me.

they still offer 4S's... in the old chassis

https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/snowmobile/trail-utility/zr-thundercat#model-zr-9000-thundercat

https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/snowmobile/trail-utility/pantera#model-pantera-7000

https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/snowmobile/crossover/riot#model-riot-9000-with-atac

https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/snowmobile/trail-utility/zr#model-zr-7000 

https://arcticcat.txtsv.com/snowmobile/trail-utility/zr-rr#model-zr-9000-rr

if/when they drop a 4S it will most likely be a Textron engine... meh

• Gold Member

2 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I’m aware my bud had a 24 winder. 4stroke guys want the new chassis too.

big fat people love them... 

• Haha 1