Check your account email address ×

Vilas county leaders discuss winter trails access for snowmobiles, ATV/UTVs

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

nice... I threw the original skis and carbides straight into the attic after that trip.  :lolz:

Most areas have new road gravel, especially West of Winter, East side wasn't too bad anyhow but they did rebuild some of that part too and they  grade it a lot in the warmer seasons, I do not believe they groom any of it in the Winter.

35 minutes ago, XCR1250 said:

Most areas have new road gravel, especially West of Winter, East side wasn't too bad anyhow but they did rebuild some of that part too and they  grade it a lot in the warmer seasons, I do not believe they groom any of it in the Winter.

what's your take on this topic?  as you actually reside in a popular ORV and snowmobile area. 

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

what's your take on this topic?  as you actually reside in a popular ORV and snowmobile area. 

Even though most trails are open here for 4 wheelers I stay off during sled season even though they are begging folks to ride them, even in the Newspaper they are asking 4 wheeler owners to get out and ride to help the businesses..

I think if the trails are on Private lands then it should be up to the Property owners, where I am it's almost all public land trails.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonlafon1 said:

You ever ride in one with tracks and a fully enclosed cab?  You would change your post if you ever did. What do you care if we have to do this sharing of trails? Your in Alaska.  Spend some time in a fully cabbed with tracks its fricken awesome. Besides the slower speeds. Great for drinking beer and enjoying some winter scenery and they don't get stuck ever unless your really a fuck up. Your just trolling anyways. 

A tracked SXS is boring as fuck. All UTVs have ever done is allow talentless, drunk idiots to venture further out onto trails. But, they are what is selling and saved Polaris as a company back in ‘08. 

It doesn’t matter what you, I or anyone else on this forum thinks, SXS will be taking over your trails since winters and cold weather are no longer reliable. 

46 minutes ago, AK440 said:

A tracked SXS is boring as fuck. All UTVs have ever done is allow talentless, drunk idiots to venture further out onto trails. But, they are what is selling and saved Polaris as a company back in ‘08. 

It doesn’t matter what you, I or anyone else on this forum thinks, SXS will be taking over your trails since winters and cold weather are no longer reliable. 

Yea your right I’m selling all my sledding shit and buying a side x.  I bet if you couldn’t come on here and make stupid comments and troll others you would probably overdose or eat a bullet. You should consider getting some help.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jonlafon1 said:

Yea your right I’m selling all my sledding shit and buying a side x.  I bet if you couldn’t come on here and make stupid comments and troll others you would probably overdose or eat a bullet. You should consider getting some help.  

You take this place seriously? :lol2::idiot:

3 hours ago, jonlafon1 said:

You know what is crazy, my ss Camaro I bought brand new in 2020 was less money than a turbo sxs. the trail network is way bigger, it is way cheaper to own, and I can get to any final destination a sxs owner dose with out getting dirty and in air conditioning with a 170+ mph top end 

17 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

You know what is crazy, my ss Camaro I bought brand new in 2020 was less money than a turbo sxs. the trail network is way bigger, it is way cheaper to own, and I can get to any final destination a sxs owner dose with out getting dirty and in air conditioning with a 170+ mph top end 

We are thinking about getting a used 4 person machine.  $20k buys a lot of late model used 4 person machines.  Can't imagine what a top of the line fully loaded one would cost these days.

Just now, racinfarmer said:

We are thinking about getting a used 4 person machine.  $20k buys a lot of late model used 4 person machines.  Can't imagine what a top of the line fully loaded one would cost these days.

I bought my Camaro for 33k in a window of Covid when the dealer thought sports cars were done selling because of the economy. They were calling me a few months later offering me stupid money. I should have bought the zl1 they had for 50 instead of the ss. Loaded out 4 passenger sxs are well over 40k now once you fit them with all the crap you want and factor in tax 

8 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

I bought my Camaro for 33k in a window of Covid when the dealer thought sports cars were done selling because of the economy. They were calling me a few months later offering me stupid money. I should have bought the zl1 they had for 50 instead of the ss. Loaded out 4 passenger sxs are well over 40k now once you fit them with all the crap you want and factor in tax 

The deals on sports cars at the start of the Vid one could have gone was out of this world compared to now.

9 hours ago, AK440 said:

You take this place seriously? :lol2::idiot:

Not nearly like you. Actually here for snowmobiling, not trolling. And of course the entertainment value of everyone owning you and disproving your trolls

• Haha 2

you can buy a road legal jeep wrangler for similar $ to a nice four seater these days... and as Greg said, drive anywhere with it.  the depreciation is probably far better as well. 

Economics 101 ... the snowmobile industry has been shrinking for 2 centuries....

Business is Business, either reinvent yourself or you die.... as business gets stale,  the customers look for other avenues.

Erosion...Yes, but nature and horses are far worse.... Reality is we tear up snowmobile trails....and  Rebuild them daily with a groomer... We should know the smoothest best prepped road bed makes the best lasting trail

So, we go from grooming too grading dirt paths, making woods roads out of stone, crushed concrete, shredded tires....Yes, the infrastructure needs more permanent work, but it's doable.

Snowmobiling in New England is being decimated for costs, & lack of snow....it's not 1967 and we can't ride out the back yard.  Your " local" snowmobile dealer has left long ago.

For the $$$$ I'd like an air conditioned side X side for more utility.  Maybe some company will build a fast diesel powered SXS.

However, I do believe once snowmobile trails are open for the season, wheeled vehicles should be prohibated.

Edited by ICG
Spelling

On 2/21/2024 at 4:25 PM, XCR1250 said:

Even though most trails are open here for 4 wheelers I stay off during sled season even though they are begging folks to ride them, even in the Newspaper they are asking 4 wheeler owners to get out and ride to help the businesses..

I think if the trails are on Private lands then it should be up to the Property owners, where I am it's almost all public land trails.

I 100% agree. Only thing I would change is, if the sled trails have enough snow to groom then the atvs should stay off. If the landowners are ok with atvs ot should be allowed.up here in bayfield co I'd guess 75% of our sled trails are on public land and used in summer by atvs also, i see no reason not to allow atv in low snow conditions. Down in the polk, Barron, dunn co areas there's a trail system on private land and road routes for summer atv use and it seems to work well, not all landowners are against atv use

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cat45 said:

I 100% agree. Only thing I would change is, if the sled trails have enough snow to groom then the atvs should stay off. If the landowners are ok with atvs ot should be allowed.up here in bayfield co I'd guess 75% of our sled trails are on public land and used in summer by atvs also, i see no reason not to allow atv in low snow conditions. Down in the polk, Barron, dunn co areas there's a trail system on private land and road routes for summer atv use and it seems to work well, not all landowners are against atv use

100% agreed on the bold :thumbsup:

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, Cat45 said:

Who's going to make that call what's considered low? Atvs/sxs's can fuck up a promising base in a hurry. Easier to stay off until the spring or get tracks.

5 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Who's going to make that call what's considered low? Atvs/sxs's can fuck up a promising base in a hurry. Easier to stay off until the spring or get tracks.

Clubs could do it no problem. If there's low snow to start the year or at the end of the year why not? Seems to work fine where I'm from

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

Clubs could do it no problem. If there's low snow to start the year or at the end of the year why not? Seems to work fine where I'm from

Alot would have to do with the condition of the ground. Last thing a trail needs is more ruts just before a freeze and snow.

17 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

I could go along with the beginning or end of season definitely. Here they tried to pass it with the wording if no grooming operations are currently happening. My problem with that is who is the person that decides how long between grooming and atv travel. 

12 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

I could go along with the beginning or end of season definitely. Here they tried to pass it with the wording if no grooming operations are currently happening. My problem with that is who is the person that decides how long between grooming and atv travel. 

Up here the groomer operators make the call wether the trails are open or closed. Early this year we had rideable snow and trails were groomed but the operators said to keep them closed to save the base. They saved it right up untill it all melted. Now for most of the winter the atvs have been out, if done right it's a win for everyone 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Alot would have to do with the condition of the ground. Last thing a trail needs is more ruts just before a freeze and snow.

I guess it depends on the area. Here the trails are mostly atv trails all summer and there's very little swampy areas. 

9 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

I guess it depends on the area. Here the trails are mostly atv trails all summer and there's very little swampy areas. 

In Quebec they have separate atv/sxs and sled trails during the winter. It's quite the setup. 

Just now, Steve753 said:

In Quebec they have separate atv/sxs and sled trails during the winter. It's quite the setup. 

That would be a nice setup for sure