Check your account email address ×

Vilas county leaders discuss winter trails access for snowmobiles, ATV/UTVs

They should open them up to ATV’s. The Midwest doesn’t get shit for snow anyway and why should sections of public land be closed to everyone except snowmobiles which is a sport in decline? In 20 years most places in the Midwest will be getting so little snow that sticks around that snowmobiling will cease to exist as a viable sport. 

SAME COUNTY that was dead against UTV's  not many years ago. Weird now they find them desirable?  All about the money!  Most locals(non bar owners/business owners) do not like snowmobilers or UTV. This year has changed that perspective IMO some. 

Edited by jonlafon1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

:justcuz:

What are businesses that cater to motorsports enthusiasts supposed to do? There are posts in all the sled forums about declining club memberships, lack of volunteers. Snowmobiling is dying while UTV’s are growing. Better to keep the trails open to motorized than have them get closed or converted to non motorized bike, hiking and walking trails. Things can always get worse. 

3 minutes ago, AK440 said:

What are businesses that cater to motorsports enthusiasts supposed to do?

I get it. I just find it funny that this county is talking about this now. Iron county opened up utv month ago

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AK440 said:

They should open them up to ATV’s. The Midwest doesn’t get shit for snow anyway and why should sections of public land be closed to everyone except snowmobiles which is a sport in decline? In 20 years most places in the Midwest will be getting so little snow that sticks around that snowmobiling will cease to exist as a viable sport. 

No! ATV's and UTV's Destroy the trail system and then said trails get shut down. White Earth will never allow ATV's on anything but forest roads. Most years we can ride sled until mid April or later. This year sucks but next year will be great again. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AK440 said:

no-one-cares-who-asked.gif

what you think... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Im not for this at all. BUT I would not have as big a issue  if the ground has frost in it? So no snow and ground frozen then yes open it up to UTV. But no way should they both be on the trails at the same time. It will be a shit show. UTV does not operate at the same speeds as sleds on snow, especially if they have tracks.  Tracked utv is a whole another issue if both sleds and utv are allowed at the same time. Obviously its about revenue for businesses that are related to motorsports. But when your against UTV for years(non winter) and now no snow your for utv's in the winter.  :finger:

Edited by jonlafon1

Nope - no way!  ATV/UTV have access to trails for 9 months out of the year and they have access to other routes throughout the winter.  Keep 'em off snowmobile trails, for the duration of sled season, period.  There's a few trails where we ride that are shared access and it pisses us off when a freshly groomed trail gets hit by a SxS first (or at all, for that matter).

• Like 2

Very fine line there.  So now for brushing/maintaining trails does that come out of the snowmobile funds or UTV funds.

I avoid areas that allow UTV's on the snowmobile trails as much as possible.  The BS rule of UTV'S not being on the trail above 28 deg is not enforced.  Guys on the trail at 10:00 in the morning at 26 deg know well that by noon chances are it will be above 28 deg.  I've never seen or heard of anybody calling to get trailers because it's above 28 deg.

Everytime I've been on duel purpose trails there no base and they don't hold up to any traffic.  The one area to the East of us it's like a line in the sand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZR6000RR said:

No! ATV's and UTV's Destroy the trail system and then said trails get shut down. White Earth will never allow ATV's on anything but forest roads. Most years we can ride sled until mid April or later. This year sucks but next year will be great again. 

I thinking there's only two sniwmoy trails in MN that allow ATVs.  One is gandy dancer which is like a rail bed trail on WI border.  I can't remember the other but it's nothing special.  I don't think it'll happen here, the sxs trail riding isn't as cultural here as it is WI to start with and I think the MN snowmobile club system would squash out that stuff.

I don't know why you'd want to sxs on snowmobile trails to start with, how lame.  Plus it'd be dangerous.  Plus it'd damage trails.

• Like 1

They need to take a look at how the counties in central Wi do it...NO atv/utv allowed on woods trails...So they have opened up 100's of miles of back country roads for their use...Take a look at the Sauk Co atv road route map. It's 100's of miles...I just got back this afternoon from a 100+ mile atv ride in Marquette, Waushara, Adams Counties, all back roads, absolutely beautiful day...You can now drive your atv on all the downtown roads in Wi Dells and Lk Delton...

Edited by SlugsOnSleds
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ZR6000RR said:

The native American Indians might have something to say about ATVs and snowmobiles on that patch of land.

Governor Walz wants to give 160,000 ACRES of White Earth State Forest FOR FREE to Lt. Gov. Flanagan's White Earth Ojibwe Band to make amends. All the hunting and fishing access and land and roads and trails and campground and lake improvements paid for with tax dollars?

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, SlugsOnSleds said:

They need to take a look at how the counties in central Wi do it...NO atv/utv allowed on woods trails...So they have opened up 100's of miles of back country roads for their use...Take a look at the Sauk Co atv road route map. It's 100's of miles...I just got back this afternoon from a 100+ mile atv ride in Marquette, Waushara, Adams Counties, all back roads, absolutely beautiful day...You can now drive your atv on all the downtown roads in Wi Dells and Lk Delton...

Good post  :thumbsup:

39 minutes ago, MnDean said:

The native American Indians might have something to say about ATVs and snowmobiles on that patch of land.

Governor Walz wants to give 160,000 ACRES of White Earth State Forest FOR FREE to Lt. Gov. Flanagan's White Earth Ojibwe Band to make amends. All the hunting and fishing access and land and roads and trails and campground and lake improvements paid for with tax dollars?

We just gave away that cloquet Forest center to the Indians.  The amount of white guilt/virtue signaling around Indian issues is disgusting.  Absolutely disgusting.

Back when the wolf management was being debated, one of the reasons our politicians cited was because it's a spiritual animal to the tribes.  Good for fucking them they can not kill it then I don't give a shit what they think most are sovereign anyway.  And look at mille lacs, part of it is DNR incompetency but Indians play a big part in that.  They just can't help themselves they're weak beta bitches.  Oh yeah that whole lutsen thing recently too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mnstang said:

We just gave away that cloquet Forest center to the Indians.  The amount of white guilt/virtue signaling around Indian issues is disgusting.  Absolutely disgusting.

Back when the wolf management was being debated, one of the reasons our politicians cited was because it's a spiritual animal to the tribes.  Good for fucking them they can not kill it then I don't give a shit what they think most are sovereign anyway.  And look at mille lacs, part of it is DNR incompetency but Indians play a big part in that.  They just can't help themselves they're weak beta bitches.  Oh yeah that whole lutsen thing recently too.

1854 treaty boundary in my area is another one that went through silently. Walz had mndot put up the signs and nobody around here had an idea it was happening. 

29 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

1854 treaty boundary in my area is another one that went through silently. Walz had mndot put up the signs and nobody around here had an idea it was happening. 

Same with at the farm.  Then on top of that we're selling the public's land to the mining company, do we get that purchase price split up among us, since it was our land?  Where does that money go?  Oh and then of course we're helping to fund the mining project as if the South America based company needs help or will give any of the proceeds back to the taxpayer.  Can't help but feel like everything is being extracted.  That Tesla mine is literally in the state land that the farm borders in so I'm losing alot of woods and swamp in the deal and it's only just begun.  Off topic rant sorry back to ATVs lol 

57 minutes ago, mnstang said:

11 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Same with at the farm.  Then on top of that we're selling the public's land to the mining company, do we get that purchase price split up among us, since it was our land?  Where does that money go?  Oh and then of course we're helping to fund the mining project as if the South America based company needs help or will give any of the proceeds back to the taxpayer.  Can't help but feel like everything is being extracted.  That Tesla mine is literally in the state land that the farm borders in so I'm losing alot of woods and swamp in the deal and it's only just begun.  Off topic rant sorry back to ATVs lol 

Racist much? No wonder you lash out all the time and are so angry at the world. Racist and a conspiracy theorist, wow, great combination there skippy. 

2 hours ago, MnDean said:

I seriously cannot figure out why Tyrant Timmy swings from the Native's nutsack.

2 hours ago, MnDean said:

I hadn't even heard about this until I read Biff's post on HCS. 

9 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

I hadn't even heard about this until I read Biff's post on HCS. 

Our leased trails are required to be gated once the sled season is over. Continuing the lease makes it essential we do this. I have a wheeler. Will not travel on any questionable trail. 

17 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Our leased trails are required to be gated once the sled season is over. Continuing the lease makes it essential we do this. I have a wheeler. Will not travel on any questionable trail. 

Im well aware of closing gates. Did that when I was a trail coordinator. 

3 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Im well aware of closing gates. Did that when I was a trail coordinator. 

I wish we could ban them completely. Just look behind you and see the damage.