Check your account email address ×

This is why I’m not paying my student loans

15 hours ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

It seems as though the shine is getting knocked off of college education. There’s a nice resurgence of trades. 

Works for me.  Many of these places have just turned into overpriced elitist indoctrination centers.  They used to be places where they taught you how to think, not what to think.

14 hours ago, Palu49 said:

I don’t even know if I’d take a Canadian snowmobile for free.

For free I'd take it to flip, but I'm not a midget so I sure wouldn't ride it.

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Works for me.  Many of these places have just turned into overpriced elitist indoctrination centers.  They used to be places where they taught you how to think, not what to think.

So which ones of the many aren't?  Curious where you'd send your kids if they were going now or your grandkids if you were to setup a fund to pay for them now?

• Haha 1

Its the interest on the loans that is a killer. We has two loans to help out kids out (they had loans too), we make the payments for years, but the principle never went down. It looked like we would be paying forever. 

We wound up transferring those loans to a second mortgage. Fixed interest, fixed number of payments. We are almost done, and can put it behind us. 

I don't like the idea of load forgiveness, but if the government said that everyone pays the principle, interest free, I could live with that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

For free I'd take it to flip, but I'm not a midget so I sure wouldn't ride it.

So which ones of the many aren't?  Curious where you'd send your kids if they were going now or your grandkids if you were to setup a fund to pay for them now?

You know they make these things called risers and aftermarket seats if the sled doesn't "fit" you.  

It depends on the kid and field of study, my girls went to state universities, graduated with no debt and both have great jobs.  Getting an art history or gender studies degree and graduating with 150-200k worth of debt is insane, and we hear stories like that all the time.  And my 3 grandkids already all have nice little 529s set up.  

33 minutes ago, Catalina said:

Its the interest on the loans that is a killer. We has two loans to help out kids out (they had loans too), we make the payments for years, but the principle never went down. It looked like we would be paying forever. 

We wound up transferring those loans to a second mortgage. Fixed interest, fixed number of payments. We are almost done, and can put it behind us. 

I don't like the idea of load forgiveness, but if the government said that everyone pays the principle, interest free, I could live with that. 

we're looking at four years at a big U and med school starting in fall for ours... 

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952aqkx6hvyd06i6i2nh

With some of the things the little woman’s daughter tells us, it really makes you wonder why they need half the bullshit classes they force these kids to take.

5 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

With some of the things the little woman’s daughter tells us, it really makes you wonder why they need half the bullshit classes they force these kids to take.

2X

2 minutes ago, Doug said:

2X

And then throw in the answers they make these kids regurgitate in order to PASS said classes… she knows she needs to answer in ways her moral conscience disagrees with.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Learning how to think should occur in k-12. College or tech school is about crafting skills. If someone gets to college and they still haven’t learned how to think….well….theres a few like that here :lol: 

I know what you mean. Many colleges have slipped into an abyss of social marketing campaigns. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

My daughter called me in tears one night because of statistics class. She was into her last semester of grad school. I told her that doing something useless is one way to build discipline and show an employer that you’re willing to do something you don’t want to do. Sky says it best. 

Edited by ActionfigureJoe
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

And then throw in the answers they make these kids regurgitate in order to PASS said classes… she knows she needs to answer in ways her moral conscience disagrees with.

Tenured Professor's what a joke.  Do what I say or else, its my agenda.

What is a tenured professor?

A tenured professor is a college-level instructor who has earned tenure, which is a system that guarantees the professor their job until they retire. This system keeps professors from losing their jobs because of disagreements with college administrators and protects their right to express their scholarly opinions. While a tenured professor at one college might be eligible for automatic tenure at another, earning tenure in the first place requires years of teaching and research on a tenure track.

One of my kids friends mom just bragged about getting her student loans forgiven. Some $200k worth. Why should anybody have to pay for anything at this point? 

ya know what actually pisses me off in a major way?

all the time, effort and hand wringing over trying to wipe people's debt off the books, yet little to no effort by any elected officials to figure out how to actually make state funded colleges, tech schools and universities more affordable to attend in the first place.  

idgaf what private schools charge... that's a student and parents choice.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Exactly, like Harvard teaching a class on Taylor fucking Swift. WTF ?????

6 minutes ago, Anler said:

One of my kids friends mom just bragged about getting her student loans forgiven. Some $200k worth. Why should anybody have to pay for anything at this point? 

Why?  Who ate the $200K ?

and, why isn't there an 😡 emoji here @ckf ?

Screenshot_20240126-090703.png

37 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Learning how to think should occur in k-12. College or tech school is about crafting skills. If someone gets to college and they still haven’t learned how to think….well….theres a few like that here

The most important thing to learn in college is how to learn.  That is fundamentally the most important thing to being successful at anything.  Our average k-12 is pathetic and prepares nearly no one for that.  We happen to live in an education mecca compared to a lot of regions, but chose to solely for the sake of our children.  I still expect that college will build on that and help greatly.

26 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

ya know what actually pisses me off in a major way?

all the time, effort and hand wringing over trying to wipe people's debt off the books, yet little to no effort by any elected officials to figure out how to actually make state funded colleges, tech schools and universities more affordable to attend in the first place.  

idgaf what private schools charge... that's a student and parents choice.  

Exactly the problem.  Fuck forgiveness, fix the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

The most important thing to learn in college is how to learn.  That is fundamentally the most important thing to being successful at anything.  Our average k-12 is pathetic and prepares nearly no one for that.  We happen to live in an education mecca compared to a lot of regions, but chose to solely for the sake of our children.  I still expect that college will build on that and help greatly.

If you haven’t learned how to learn in K-12 the window has closed. College isn’t going to help that. College ought to be about developing greater discipline and skill building. Most of the innovations in science still come from the US. There’s a reason it’s not coming from China. Chinese live in a highly confined and compartmentalized educational system. Thinking outside the box and challenging norms isn’t encouraged. It’s actually punished. 

44 minutes ago, Anler said:

The same can be said about those here that invest in companies that have received the bailouts. Which is all of them. Basically free money based on government bailouts. It’s 6 of one and half dozen of the other. Your free money is more valuable than someone else’s free money. 

24 minutes ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

If you haven’t learned how to learn in K-12 the window has closed. College isn’t going to help that. College ought to be about developing greater discipline and skill building. Most of the innovations in science still come from the US. There’s a reason it’s not coming from China. Chinese live in a highly confined and compartmentalized educational system. Thinking outside the box and challenging norms isn’t encouraged. It’s actually punished. 

Couldn't disagree more.  I was the valedictorian of my high school class but learned more about how to learn in college than in the previous 12 years.  WAY more.  I did attend a top 3 ranked school though as well which may have influenced what I learned.

3 hours ago, Deephaven said:

great example... every foreign exchange student we've hosted in our home is vastly ahead of the majority of kids in our daughters school.  not all, but definitely most.   

it's also high time we ended 'summers off' in the k-12 system.  have four quarters with shorter breaks in between.  most kids need constant 'learning'.  when some friends from California were living there their children were in kindergarten and having all year education, when they moved back to the state (Hudson area) the teachers there were amazed at how far advanced the kids were.  

the days of school children working the family farm are over... and American children aren't benefitting from having the summer off... unlike the teachers.  

the Chinese student we hosted back in 2018 was brilliant... but they take education far more serious there.  

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ActionfigureJoe said:

Learning how to think, or “critical thinking skills“ It’s an ongoing process, particularly as kids grow older, and the issues become more complex. Take media bias for example. I don’t expect a K through 12 student to understand how to sift through media bias this day and age. As I get into college and beyond, hopefully they figure it out.

Edited by DriftBusta

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

They have become indoctrination centres now.

A waste of time.  

Would anybody actually go into bus with a prof?:lol:

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Couldn't disagree more.  I was the valedictorian of my high school class but learned more about how to learn in college than in the previous 12 years.  WAY more.  I did attend a top 3 ranked school though as well which may have influenced what I learned.

And you still don't know shit about investments and real estate.

20x:lol: