Check your account email address ×

House Democrats boo Bernie Sanders in contentious meeting

Many Democrats reluctant to publicly criticize Sanders

UPDATED 1:52 PM EDT Jul 06, 2016
Bernie Sanders, April 14, 10`6
Spencer Platt/Getty Images

WASHINGTON (CNN) —House Democrats roughed up Sen. Bernie Sanders in a closed-door session Wednesday after he deflected questions about when he would formally back Hillary Clinton for president, with a group of members booing him at one point, according to three Democrats who attended the meeting.

The vast majority of House Democrats endorsed Clinton's candidacy early in the primary process, but Sanders was invited to attend the weekly meeting as a courtesy extended to all presidential candidates. When Clinton appeared last month, she was applauded and praised for her commitment to help Democrats regain control of Congress this fall.

Many Democrats have been reluctant to publicly criticize Sanders for continuing his campaign because they want to ensure that the supporters he activated through the long primary contest will come out and vote for the Democratic ticket in November. But some members let out their frustration with the Vermont senator Wednesday morning, with one member calling Sanders' appearance before the caucus a "total display of self-obsession."

During the discussion, Sanders told the group "the goal is not to win elections" and took a dramatic pause, before adding that the aim was to win the battle of ideas, according to multiple sources in the room.

A series of Democrats pressed Sanders to say when he would end his efforts and endorse Clinton and work to unite the party. But after Reps. John Garamendi of California, Mark Takano of California and Joyce Beatty of Ohio, failed to get a concrete answer from the senator, roughly a dozen members booed him inside the room.

During one exchange several members chanted "timeline, timeline" when Sanders' sidestepped a question on when he would back Clinton.

Asked about his message to the House Democratic Caucus, Sanders said as he left the session, "We've got to get a large voter turnout. If we get a large voter turnout, Democrats will regain control of the Senate and I believe they're going to take the House back."

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Xavier Becerra, who presided over the meeting, said he never heard any boos during the session, but downplayed the dissent, saying the discussion was "animated." He said members did focus on the need to unify, and Sanders informed House Democrats that Clinton was announcing her support for his approach on college affordability.

The number two House Democrat, Rep Steny Hoyer, told reporters he was sitting in the front row during the meeting with Sanders and didn't hear anyone booing. He said Sanders told Democrats he would do all he could to defeat Donald Trump this fall and he took that to say he was backing Clinton. He described some members as being "anxious" about Sanders' answer about when he would endorse Clinton.

Virginia Rep Gerry Connolly took issue with some descriptions of the meeting on twitter, saying, "Bernie was respectfully received by Caucus. Some disagreements, yes, but a friendly venue" and "Sanders was reflective and thoughtful in responses. Expressions of disagreement are NOT booing."

13 hours ago, Capt.Storm said:

Good for Bernie..he's standing for what he believes at least.

I agree.  And let us not forget, King Obama only officially endorsed the liar after he met with Lynch and of course, she was the only Dem left in the race.  Hell, their own party doesn't really wanna back her.  So we've got two candidates whose own parties are scared to 100% endorse.  Trump because he scares the shit out of Repubs looking to make careers out of this.  And Dems scared of Hillary because she's a lying, treasonous liability.

EXCELLENT!  :lol:

Edited by Zambroski

14 hours ago, Capt.Storm said:

Good for Bernie..he's standing for what he believes at least.

Or , holding out for the big payoff .

We shall see, but my money goes on a big wet gushy endorsement of everything he rallied against.

we all hate the rich, but  no one wants to be poor............do they?

:news:

4 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

because Sanders is holding out?

Because they want him to endorse their hand picked candidate who half the party hates.

1 hour ago, Sludgey said:

Because they want him to endorse their hand picked candidate who half the party hates.

There is no need to endorse anyone right now. This is how elections are supposed to work. Delegates are not officially recorded until the convention why should a candidate endorse anyone until then. Sanders is pushing his agenda so Clinton accepts his.

Just politics

1 minute ago, Mainecat said:

There is no need to endorse anyone right now. This is how elections are supposed to work. Delegates are not officially recorded until the convention why should a candidate endorse anyone until then. Sanders is pushing his agenda so Clinton accepts his.

Just politics

So you're unhappy with the party 

13 minutes ago, Anler said:

Thats because democrats are full of shit. Just like republicans are. Bernie should tell them to fuck off. Publicly...

:goodpost:

Honestly after Hillary lying about bernie during the campaign, the media basically ignoring him for the first parts of the race, and Hillary weasling her way through the email scandal if he had any morals he'd say fuck her and let the whole shebang blow up. It doesn't matter whether trump or hillary gets in, either are going to continue to fuck the middle class. Might as well purge both parties now and get it over with...

10 minutes ago, GGNHL said:

:goodpost:

Honestly after Hillary lying about bernie during the campaign, the media basically ignoring him for the first parts of the race, and Hillary weasling her way through the email scandal if he had any morals he'd say fuck her and let the whole shebang blow up. It doesn't matter whether trump or hillary gets in, either are going to continue to fuck the middle class. Might as well purge both parties now and get it over with...

There is clear evidence that Bernie won several states that were declared for Hillary. However, this is just a primary race and really doesnt fall under election laws, either party can nominate whomever they want. That being said... Its clear that most voters would prefer Bernie over Hillary. And I seriously dont think most Bernie voters are going to vote for Hillary. Hillary and Bernie are 2 totally different politicians and you cant just support one and both at the same time. I think he should run as an independent. With Trump, Johnson, Hillary and Bernie in the GE that would be a fair fight. And Hillary would not win...

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Anler said:

Thats because democrats are full of shit. Just like republicans are. Bernie should tell them to fuck off. Publicly...

:bc: That's what I'm thinking also :goodpost:

I'm telling you if Bernie said to me if I run as a independent would you vote for me?

I would prolly agree to it at this point and time.

I think the young ones were onto something.

Edited by Capt.Storm

17 minutes ago, Capt.Storm said:

I'm telling you if Bernie said to me if I run as a independent would you vote for me?

I would prolly agree to it at this point and time.

I think the young ones were onto something.

So bigger government and massive taxation is a good thing :nuts:

Just now, Momorider said:

So bigger government and massive taxation is a good thing :nuts:

Well maybe in this case..we send billions out of the country every year for third world countries ,why not spend some of that here on our kids..

1 hour ago, Capt.Storm said:

Well maybe in this case..we send billions out of the country every year for third world countries ,why not spend some of that here on our kids..

Bernie is a clown, every policy he wants to implement is either not possible, will never get through congress of so costly it would bankrupt the country :flush: 

Just now, Momorider said:

Bernie is a clown, every policy he wants to implement is either not possible, will never get through congress of so costly it would bankrupt the country :flush: 

Still he's not a crooked liar and if because he's in the race and that would make Hillary lose I'm in. Fawk the money at this point.