Check your account email address ×

"EVs aren’t ready for prime time, they never will be"

• Platinum Contributing Member
39 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Not the mach e.  That's a POS.  Unlike you fucks I like fast cars.  Name an ICE that would work that's fits ths niche.  There aren't any and if you build one it gets 8mpg if you are lucky.  I don't average that.  Whipping 100mi on a tank.  

Well there are quite a few, if you like fast cars, It's not like you can track any EV for more than a couple handfuls of laps till it has to be parked, but in an ICE vehicle you can hit up Watkins Glen for track days and run for 8 hours straight. We are prepping an M5 for Sick week, have 20 days till we ship it. Not exactly sure how an EV would compete in that event either..

No doubt an EV is quick, I'd be leaning more towards a hybrid for myself and IMO is a more logical thing to push towards consumers 

8 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Just did my 5000 mile tire rotation on my road trip car…. Tires looking pretty good after 21k miles.  Still sitting at over 60% tread left.

IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_4163.jpeg

My God, Tesla's are for the overly Gay.

9 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Well there are quite a few, if you like fast cars, It's not like you can track any EV for more than a couple handfuls of laps till it has to be parked, but in an ICE vehicle you can hit up Watkins Glen for track days and run for 8 hours straight. We are prepping an M5 for Sick week, have 20 days till we ship it. Not exactly sure how an EV would compete in that event either..

No doubt an EV is quick, I'd be leaning more towards a hybrid for myself and IMO is a more logical thing to push towards consumers 

I don't track my car.  I run errands. No ice car meets the parameters.

12 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Just did my 5000 mile tire rotation on my road trip car…. Tires looking pretty good after 21k miles.  Still sitting at over 60% tread left.

IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_4163.jpeg

You're tires look to be over inflated, the wear bar in the middle looks close and both shoulders look to have more tread based on your photo, you run snows/all weather tires year round? No performance tires?

Screenshot_20240107-173352.png

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

I don't track my car.  I run errands. No ice car meets the parameters.

To run errands?? I did that in my truck today 

2 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

To run errands?? I did that in my truck today 

I could do that in my truck, but would rather drive something fun.  Lloyd asked what an EV could do that and ice couldn't and I gave a concrete use case.

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

I could do that in my truck, but would rather drive something fun.  Lloyd asked what an EV could do that and ice couldn't and I gave a concrete use case.

Damn, my truck is fun as heck, an absolute hoot to drive 

24 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

We are prepping an M5 for Sick week

That's supercool!!! What's your particular role in the prep work??? Engine?Suspension? Radio tuning?

• Gold Member
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

You're tires look to be over inflated, the wear bar in the middle looks close and both shoulders look to have more tread based on your photo, you run snows/all weather tires year round? No performance tires?

Screenshot_20240107-173352.png

1 to 2 psi high from door jam sticker.  Instead of 42 psi on the door jam I run 43-44 typically.  I run 3 peak all season all year round.  It’s just a long range model 3 and not a performance.   Even though it out performs most anything on the road I don’t need performance tires.  Tires are about 10 months old and car is only used for long trips. In excess of 400 miles in a sitting.  Rarely drive my tesla local unless the wife is at work which If she isn’t at work I will use the Rivian.

Edited by BOHICA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, HSR said:

That's supercool!!! What's your particular role in the prep work??? Engine?Suspension? Radio tuning?

You frothing at the mouth pops?

4 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

1 to 2 psi high from door jam sticker.  Instead of 42 psi on the door jam I run 43-44 typically.  I run 3 peak all season all year round.  It’s just a long range model 3 annd not a performance.   Even though it out performs most anything on the road I don’t need performance tires.  Tires are about 10 months old and car is only used for long trips. In excess of 400 miles in a sitting.  Rarely drive my tesla local unless the wife is at work which If she isn’t at work I will use the Rivian.

Just that center looks to be wearing a bit more, again just looking at your photo, and heck yeah, if you're just day tripping with it, "highway miles" tires should last a long bit, my GF has a big daily commute, got 60k out of a set of Goodyears on her compass and car still has original pads and rotors on it with 40% of her pads left.. Highway miles definitely do not take the toll on a car that stop and go does by a long shot

37 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_4163.jpeg

Is that where you stay at friends and relatives so you can mooch off their electricity and charge your car.

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

Not the mach e.  That's a POS.  Unlike you fucks I like fast cars.  Name an ICE that would work that's fits ths niche.  There aren't any and if you build one it gets 8mpg if you are lucky.  I don't average that.  Whipping 100mi on a tank.  

Do you even have a fast car?

14 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

And doesn't meet the parameters.  

Sorry wasn't exactly sure if what parameters you set to ensure your stance would win

15 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

1 to 2 psi high from door jam sticker.  Instead of 42 psi on the door jam I run 43-44 typically.  I run 3 peak all season all year round.  It’s just a long range model 3 and not a performance.   Even though it out performs most anything on the road I don’t need performance tires.  Tires are about 10 months old and car is only used for long trips. In excess of 400 miles in a sitting.  Rarely drive my tesla local unless the wife is at work which If she isn’t at work I will use the Rivian.

You have an R1S or R1T?

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, Rigid1 said:

Just that center looks to be wearing a bit more, again just looking at your photo, and heck yeah, if you're just day tripping with it, "highway miles" tires should last a long bit, my GF has a big daily commute, got 60k out of a set of Goodyears on her compass and car still has original pads and rotors on it with 40% of her pads left.. Highway miles definitely do not take the toll on a car that stop and go does by a long shot

Figure these Nokian Encompass are good for 50-60k on the Tesla.  The stock Michelin primacy whatever they were lasted 34k and expensive.  The Nokians are cheap.  Difference in efficiency I have personally seen is about 3 watt hours per mile with the Nokians.  

With my veterans discount at discount tire I can get into a set of these for under $800 on the car.  Probably will only run Nokians on any of my vehicles once the sticker wear out.  Rivian is wearing Nokian dedicated snows currently.

IMG_4165.png

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Sorry wasn't exactly sure if what parameters you set to ensure your stance would win

I just answered a question.  And arbitrarily they closely match the parameters for my next car...albeit I don't care on the 2.5 exactly just had to be quicker that my current and that will do it.

• Gold Member
3 minutes ago, Doug said:

Is that where you stay at friends and relatives so you can mooch off their electricity and charge your car.

Hotels offer free charging typically.   Hiltons are putting in 20,000 tesla destinations in addition to the ones they got already.  If I was to stay with friends or family and need a charge I would throw them 10 bucks but most don’t have a 240 readily available so would just hit a dc charger if needed.

• Gold Member
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Dieselgeek said:

You have an R1S or R1T?

R1S and a model 3.  And a 1950 ford pickup which is going away.

Edited by BOHICA

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Figure these Nokian Encompass are good for 50-60k on the Tesla.  The stock Michelin primacy whatever they were lasted 34k and expensive.  The Nokians are cheap.  Difference in efficiency I have personally seen is about 3 watt hours per mile with the Nokians.  

With my veterans discount at discount tire I can get into a set of these for under $800 on the car.  Probably will only run Nokians on any of my vehicles once the sticker wear out.  Rivian is wearing Nokian dedicated snows currently.

IMG_4165.png

We put a lot of Nokians on cars, IMO theeee best snow tire..On a side note I ran a 3" Nokian Gazzalodi's on my DH mountain bike back in the day..

Screenshot_20240107-181630~2.png

Edited by Rigid1
Fix pic so my daughter's name wasn't in it
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I just answered a question.  And arbitrarily they closely match the parameters for my next car...albeit I don't care on the 2.5 exactly just had to be quicker that my current and that will do it.

Coo! Whatcha got coming for the next ride? Keeping the Audi??

8 minutes ago, BOHICA said:

Hotels offer free charging typically.   Hiltons are putting in 20,000 tesla destinations in addition to the ones they got already.  If I was to stay with friends or family and need a charge I would throw them 10 bucks but most don’t have a 240 readily available so would just hit a dc charger if needed.

Nothing is free. You're paying for it.

41 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

I can do that in any one of my 5 vehicles.:lol: