Check your account email address ×

Cat F-series oil pump adjustment?

AK440

I just picked up a beautiful ‘07 F8 Sno-Pro and want to adjust the oil pump. What’s the easiest way to remove the belly pan to get at it? Drill all the rivets out or use a grinder? 

There’s nothing wrong with picking up an older sled now and again just for fun. It’s obvious you’re too stupid to help so instead of remaining silent you opened your mouth and removed all doubt. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Use a crows foot like normal people. Dial it back until it blows up. Rebuild and add a turn and 1/2 and it is good 

So you’re a dipshit too, got it. 

I would question removing the skid plate.  Not sure on that particular model but sometimes there is a barrel adjuster at the midway point of the cable and you can adjust it there.

When in doubt, look at the service manual.  It's usually better information than a random yahoo on the internet.

I've been down the road of adjusting oil pumps, got bit once doing that.  It's best to leave them but if you do, adjust to factory marks, don't try to calculate consumption and adjust based on that.  I've found they're usually at 30-35:1 factory but if you lean it to try for 50:1, that's 50:1 overall but there might be an RPM or throttle setting where it's getting much less than that and that can be trouble.

• Like 1

Not sure why I'm helping..

but you go at it from the exhaust side with a mirror to check.

taking off the bottom pan won't do you any good

there is no cable to adjust, its a rod between the pump and throttle bodies

A better question is why do you want to adjust it in the first place, because if you don't know how to do it, you are better off leaving it alone.  Oil is way cheaper than parts are

Edited by krom
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, mnstang said:

I would question removing the skid plate.  Not sure on that particular model but sometimes there is a barrel adjuster at the midway point of the cable and you can adjust it there.

When in doubt, look at the service manual.  It's usually better information than a random yahoo on the internet.

I've been down the road of adjusting oil pumps, got bit once doing that.  It's best to leave them but if you do, adjust to factory marks, don't try to calculate consumption and adjust based on that.  I've found they're usually at 30-35:1 factory but if you lean it to try for 50:1, that's 50:1 overall but there might be an RPM or throttle setting where it's getting much less than that and that can be trouble.

3 hours ago, krom said:

Not sure why I'm helping..

but you go at it from the exhaust side with a mirror to check.

taking off the bottom pan won't do you any good

there is no cable to adjust, its a rod between the pump and throttle bodies

A better question is why do you want to adjust it in the first place, because if you don't know how to do it, you are better off leaving it alone.  Oil is way cheaper than parts are

When you pop the arm off the oil pump, won't it "spring away" on you? I agree it looks easier to adjust from the top (with the throttle wide open), but I am nervous the oil pump arm will drop down (my term of "spring away") towards the bottom of the engine ... and then that leaves a guy stuck trying to find a way to hook the arm back into the pump itself.

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Shitbird can’t even come up with a good line. Too stupid to help, too stupid to write words.

Bro you wanted to take the belly pan off to do a oil pump adjustment. 

And you asked how to remove rivets. A 12 year old could figure that out in his Shed . 

And You call others a bad mechanic. So rich. 

image.gif.99bc4d7d35052a06ac8590c75a755dd8.gif

Edited by EvilBird

13 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Bro you wanted to take the belly pan off to do a oil pump adjustment. 

And you asked how to remove rivets. A 12 year old could figure that out in his Shed . 

And You call others a bad mechanic. So rich. 

image.gif.99bc4d7d35052a06ac8590c75a755dd8.gif

I had it on good authority that removing the belly pan was the best way to get at the oil pump. 

• Gold Member
1 minute ago, AK440 said:

I had it on good authority that removing the belly pan was the best way to get at the oil pump. 

fair enough. 

just the way you talk i figured you were some master tech :news:

8 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

fair enough. 

just the way you talk i figured you were some master tech :news:

I am some master tech. When I read that a guy has to remove a belly pan to get at an oil pump that struck me as odd so I asked the question. 

24 minutes ago, AK440 said:

I am some master tech. When I read that a guy has to remove a belly pan to get at an oil pump that struck me as odd so I asked the question. 

No one who has ever worked on a twin spar sled would say to remove the bottom pan... 

And yes the lever will drop down when you unhook the rod. 

But again why are you adjusting it in the first place. 

6 minutes ago, krom said:

Exactly my first thought - why would this be something considered when the sled is new to someone?  It would take a few rides and some miles to see how much oil it's even using before ever considering an oil pump adjustment.  You're also way too nice Krom ... I'd tell this cocksucker to use the old Google machine since he's such an expert at everything (well, other than adjusting an oil pump on an old sled) :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, krom said:

No one who has ever worked on a twin spar sled would say to remove the bottom pan... 

And yes the lever will drop down when you unhook the rod. 

Don’t be too sure about that. It’s pretty common from what I understand.

Based on the amount of oil/exhaust residue on my side panel, and the black plugs I've got going ... it's going to need a couple turns. I really hope it's something that simple that wakes this sled up, but my guess is that I'm gonna be dicking around with a lot of clutching too. Oh well, that's part of the fun :wink

38 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Exactly my first thought - why would this be something considered when the sled is new to someone?  It would take a few rides and some miles to see how much oil it's even using before ever considering an oil pump adjustment.  You're also way too nice Krom ... I'd tell this cocksucker to use the old Google machine since he's such an expert at everything (well, other than adjusting an oil pump on an old sled) :lol:

Huh… interesting.🧐 

1 minute ago, krom said:

Then you should pull the pan, and try it that way, lmk how it goes

I’d feel like a retard if I did it that way, it’s sounding like their is an easier method. 

11 minutes ago, AK440 said:

I really hope it's something that simple that wakes this sled up, but my guess is that I'm gonna be dicking around with a lot of clutching too. Oh well, that's part of the fun :wink

Huh… interesting.🧐 

Why do you think Cat came out with the H.O. a couple seasons later and ultimately went away from the 1000, too?  That was a bad "performance" sled in the 07-08 models, that was way overhyped coming off the Firecat success.  Oh, and have fun getting it unstuck if you're off trail :lol2:

35 minutes ago, AK440 said:

Don’t be too sure about that. It’s pretty common from what I understand.

Based on the amount of oil/exhaust residue on my side panel, and the black plugs I've got going ... it's going to need a couple turns. I really hope it's something that simple that wakes this sled up, but my guess is that I'm gonna be dicking around with a lot of clutching too. Oh well, that's part of the fun :wink

Huh… interesting.🧐 

I'd check compression, degrease everything and start hunting for leaks before fucking with the oil pump...  

oh, the irony of that statement coming from me right now  :wall: