Check your account email address ×

What About Ukraine

32 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

:lol:

I swear you’re a bot. Time and time again you post without thinking twice. Bot

We have made a real investment in Ukraine’s future, in its freedom.  And it would – makes no sense to me that we would now renege on that investment, having already done so much and having already put Ukraine in a position where it can not only survive but actually thrive going forward.  And we have a very clear plan, as I said, to make sure that Ukraine can stand on its own two feet – militarily, economically, democratically – so that these levels of support and assistance will no longer be necessary.  But we have to help Ukraine get through the next period of time, get through this winter, get through the spring and summer. 

I’m also focused on the fact that they have their own plans to continue not only to deter the Russian aggression, but to continue to take back territory that was seized from them by Russia.  As you know, they’ve taken back more than 50 percent of the territory that Russia took in February of 2022

Derrrr….. only the bold part!

blinken finally cuts Ukraine loose!

:smack::smack:

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, akvanden said:

We have made a real investment in Ukraine’s future, in its freedom.  And it would – makes no sense to me that we would now renege on that investment, having already done so much and having already put Ukraine in a position where it can not only survive but actually thrive going forward.  And we have a very clear plan, as I said, to make sure that Ukraine can stand on its own two feet – militarily, economically, democratically – so that these levels of support and assistance will no longer be necessary.  But we have to help Ukraine get through the next period of time, get through this winter, get through the spring and summer. 

I’m also focused on the fact that they have their own plans to continue not only to deter the Russian aggression, but to continue to take back territory that was seized from them by Russia.  As you know, they’ve taken back more than 50 percent of the territory that Russia took in February of 2022

I think this tops Soros is dead and you can get AIDS from the vax!

:lol:

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Rod said:

Ukraine is fucked

That's exactly what Blinken said!

We have made a real investment in Ukraines future, in it s freedom.  And it would – makes no sense to me that we would now renege on that investment, having already done so much and having already put Ukraine in a position where it can not only survive but actually thrive going forward.  And we have a very clear plan, as I said, to make sure that Ukraine can stand on its own two feet – militarily, economically, democratically – so that these levels of support and assistance will no longer be necessary.  But we have to help Ukraine get through the next period of time, get through this winter, get through the spring and summer. 

I’m also focused on the fact that they have their own plans to continue not only to deter the Russian aggression, but to continue to take back territory that was seized from them by Russia.  As you know, they’ve taken back more than 50 percent of the territory that Russia took in February of 2022

It's not out of context at all.

1 minute ago, akvanden said:

That's exactly what Blinken said!

We have made a real investment in Ukraines future, in it s freedom.  And it would – makes no sense to me that we would now renege on that investment, having already done so much and having already put Ukraine in a position where it can not only survive but actually thrive going forward.  And we have a very clear plan, as I said, to make sure that Ukraine can stand on its own two feet – militarily, economically, democratically – so that these levels of support and assistance will no longer be necessary.  But we have to help Ukraine get through the next period of time, get through this winter, get through the spring and summer. 

I’m also focused on the fact that they have their own plans to continue not only to deter the Russian aggression, but to continue to take back territory that was seized from them by Russia.  As you know, they’ve taken back more than 50 percent of the territory that Russia took in February of 2022

It's not out of context at all.

You are seriously retarded :lol: 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

Why is it that the US contributes as much as all other UN nations combined, shouldn't the nations closer to Ukraine be the most concerned and contributing more?https://www.statista.com/chart/27278/military-aid-to-ukraine-by-country/

probably because we have more than all other nations combined. 

image.png.ca876b35eefbf3b15d279ee6c02bae17.png

Edited by akvanden

1 minute ago, akvanden said:

probably because we have more than all other nations combined. 

I would think the combined worth of the EU would be more than the US, but still since it's on their continent shouldn't they be stepping up considerably more? And wasn't that one of Trumps big complaints that the US was paying disproportionately more considering gross domestic product compared to all other nations?

4 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

I would think the combined worth of the EU would be more than the US, but still since it's on their continent shouldn't they be stepping up considerably more? And wasn't that one of Trumps big complaints that the US was paying disproportionately more considering gross domestic product compared to all other nations?

US GDP is larger than the EUs combined. 

But your right, each nation needs to pay their 2% or whatever the agreed upon amount is.

Edited by akvanden

2 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

Addressing your edit, that's just defense spending not net worth or GDP.

sorry, not sure why that reposted. you're too quick for my edit! US GDP is larger than all EU combined. 

Edited by akvanden

Your graph of defense spending has China included, so lets look at net worth of the Global economy, the US is 24% about half of what it was in 1990.

The Briefing

• The U.S. share of the global economy has nearly halved since 1960
  • America’s nominal GDP in current U.S. dollars is $21.4 trillion, or about 24% of the share of the global economy

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/u-s-share-of-global-economy-over-time/

us-share-of-global-gdp.png

35 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

Your graph of defense spending has China included, so lets look at net worth of the Global economy, the US is 24% about half of what it was in 1990.

China is only sending non lethal aid to Ukraine, and very small amounts at that. The purpose of the graph was to show that our military spending is larger than the next ten nations combined. Swap out China, Russia, India, etc with EU nations and we dwarf their military spending even more. Agree or disagree, just part of the reason why we are spending more than all EU nations combined.

21 minutes ago, akvanden said:

China is only sending non lethal aid to Ukraine, and very small amounts at that. The purpose of the graph was to show that our military spending is larger than the next ten nations combined. Swap out China, Russia, India, etc with EU nations and we dwarf their military spending even more. Agree or disagree, just part of the reason why we are spending more than all EU nations combined.

21 minutes ago, akvanden said:

That's what I was trying to convey, why is our defense budget greater than the rest of the world combined when we're only 24% of the net worth, shouldn't the rest of the world be paying their fair share in support of to Ukraine. I'm not a big fan of the UN, everybody gets a say, but come on US, you have to pay for it.. Why are we expected to police the world, we should have learned after Vietnam.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, akvanden said:

Well lets be honest    . We are spending more because europe knew they didnt have to because we would. The US makes up 74% of nato spending.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Right, he started this thread...and as usual his summary doesn't match his link.  Nice!

You’re so silly, like a young schoolgirl looking for attention 

54 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

shouldn't the rest of the world be paying their fair share in support of to Ukraine

Well, the China's of the world don't exactly have a vested interest in supporting fledgling democracies like the west does, or military alliances that may one day challenge them. They prefer to cozy up to other autocratic leaders/nations such as Russia who share aspirations of absolute power through suppression. 

59 minutes ago, airflite1 said:

Why are we expected to police the world, we should have learned after Vietnam.

We'll police when it benefits us, and probably turn our back on atrocities when it doesn't. We haven't lost one soldier since Russia invaded. I'd say that's learning. 

28 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Well lets be honest    . We are spending more because europe knew they didnt have to because we would. The US makes up 74% of nato spending.

We're spending less as a percentage of GDP than the EU is in Ukraine, so technically they're giving up more of what they have then we are. It's hard to fault us for being so much larger in absolute terms than the rest of NATO is. 

10 hours ago, akvanden said:

I nominate that for "owned of the year".

We doing a year end wrap up?

If that hasn't been discussed, feel free to start a thread and dig up shit from the past year.

Many here do that with great zeal.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, akvanden said:

Well, the China's of the world don't exactly have a vested interest in supporting fledgling democracies like the west does, or military alliances that may one day challenge them. They prefer to cozy up to other autocratic leaders/nations such as Russia who share aspirations of absolute power through suppression. 

We'll police when it benefits us, and probably turn our back on atrocities when it doesn't. We haven't lost one soldier since Russia invaded. I'd say that's learning. 

We're spending less as a percentage of GDP than the EU is in Ukraine, so technically they're giving up more of what they have then we are. It's hard to fault us for being so much larger in absolute terms than the rest of NATO is. 

How do you figure when our GDP is 24% percent of the worlds GDP, so far in defense of that statement all you've shown are graphs of defense spending. I know that was a Trump thing getting other countries to pay their fair share to NATO, but I agree with it. Why are we spending a disproportionate share to NATO.