Check your account email address ×

America should follow other countries on trans treatments for children

• Platinum Contributing Member

This question needs to be asked - and answered - in Chicago this week, specifically in regards to transgender treatments for children and adolescents.

One of the first medical organizations to encourage gender transitions for young people is holding its annual meeting here through Sunday. It's called the Endocrine Society, and while few people have ever heard of it, it has shaped the highest levels of policy since 2017. While European countries are rapidly pulling back from these treatments, based on growing evidence that children are suffering, America continues to promote them based on the society's endorsement.

I say this as a 30-year member of the Endocrine Society, which does vital work in many areas of public health. I have no doubt my fellow medical professionals are doing what they think is best. But the mental and physical health of American children is now at risk. Thousands of teens and preteens are transitioning genders every year, a number that's rising fast. Yet to date, no professional medical association in the U.S. has fully reviewed the evidence to determine whether children are being helped or hurt.

I and my fellow members are endocrinologists, which means we specialize in treating hormonal issues. They affect people of all ages and require careful medical care.

Hormones are also at the center of child gender transitions. The first major step in a gender transition is providing hormone blockers that stop a child's body from fully developing. This is usually followed by cross-sex hormones, which cause a child to develop characteristics that differ from their biological gender. When my fellow endocrinologists prescribe these treatments, they genuinely believe they are providing the best care.

The challenge is the lack of evidence. When the Endocrine Society endorsed transgender care for children in 2017, there were only a handful of studies on the effects of these treatments. The group frankly admitted that the quality of evidence was "low" or "very low." Yet the Society still recommended that children get medications and procedures for gender transitions.

This gave policymakers and the public confidence that such treatments are harmless and even necessary, hence the explosion in child transitions. The more prudent course of action would have been to wait for better science.

That science is now rolling in. Hormone blockers, it turns out, can decrease bone density and contribute to infertility. They may also inhibit cognitive development. Ditto cross-sex hormones, which can irreversibly change the body, cause infertility, and even lead to strokes, heart attacks, and diabetes. Then there's mental health, which appears to deteriorate in many children who get transgender treatments. More study is needed before anyone can unequivocally recommend these treatments to teens and preteens.

Other countries are waking up to this reality. Last month, Norway became the latest country in Europe to ban adolescent medical transition outside of research settings. It joins Finland, Sweden and the United Kingdom in enacting strong guardrails to protect vulnerable children and rigorously evaluate experimental medical treatments.

Other countries, from Italy to Ireland to Australia, are also urging greater caution. They're going where the science points. It increasingly points to the likelihood that giving children these treatments carries far more risks than benefits.

Other countries, from Italy to Ireland to Australia, are also urging greater caution. They're going where the science points. It increasingly points to the likelihood that giving children these treatments carries far more risks than benefits.

Why hasn't America caught up with the science? Why is it standing still, or perhaps going backward, while other countries are moving forward? The answer is that groups like the Endocrine Society haven't updated their guidelines to keep up with the times. Maybe it's waiting for even more research. Maybe it's worried about the blowback from the very vocal activist community. I've talked with many of my fellow endocrinologists who are afraid of speaking up. Yet inaction potentially endangers more children with every passing day.

Good post. Another case where Big pharma thinks they can solve peoples problems. I hope NA catches on and follows suit fast, these kids obviously need protection from DR.'s that have god like complexes and think they have the power to change people.

1 hour ago, HSR said:

Good post. Another case where Big pharma thinks they can solve peoples problems. I hope NA catches on and follows suit fast, these kids obviously need protection from DR.'s that have god like complexes and think they have the power to change people.

It could well be drugs the mom took while pregnant.

2 hours ago, Steve753 said:

tumblr_lzfj5jWDAO1qfr6udo11_r1_400.gif

It's crazy, most guys bitch and moan when SR invades a thread and this donkey thinks calling him out is being edgy. I don't get it at all. 

Nothing to add to the topic, just trying to get a win on SR and start drama.

1 minute ago, HSR said:

It's crazy, most guys bitch and moan when SR invades a thread and this donkey thinks calling him out is being edgy. I don't get it at all. 

Or he could bullshit like Snake and says he has you on ignore!

:lol:

I wonder how many Trans are antivax?? Be kinda weird to be antivax all while being the test rats for these gender altering drugs.

If any species of animal on earth tried this it would be the end of that species.

53 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Or he could bullshit like Snake and says he has you on ignore!

:lol:

What exactly do you add to the topic?

58 minutes ago, HSR said:

What exactly does Steve add to the topics? Why don’t you ever call him or Derphaven out for being trolls?  I don’t think winning or drama have anything to do with it. Some of us just think that they’re morons and deserve to be called out.

Just now, DriftBusta said:

What exactly does Steve add to the topics? Why don’t you ever call him or Derphaven out for being trolls?  I don’t think winning or drama have anything to do with it. Some of us just think that they’re morons and deserve to be called out.

OIP.jpeg.jpg

27 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

You mean like you being the only one banned twice for being a douchebag?  That kind of calling out?

Edited by Steve753

36 minutes ago, HSR said:

I wonder how many Trans are antivax?? Be kinda weird to be antivax all while being the test rats for these gender altering drugs.

If any species of animal on earth tried this it would be the end of that species.

Both sides have made this obvious mental illness political. There's likely the same amount on both sides, difference is one side feels safer to come out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

Both sides have made this obvious mental illness political. There's likely the same amount on both sides, difference is one side feels safer to come out.

I’m not sure what is being pushed has to do with “coming out”.  I mean, I don’t really give a rats ass what you want to identify as, let’s just take the high road and not force or prescribe drugs on these kids if they feel different.  Talk to them, see what they are thinking, and be the adult in the room.  It’s amazing what talking with someone who’s not necessarily thinking like everyone else can reveal.  Could be any number of reasons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HSR said:

Your fake outrage is laughable ... well done :lol: And I'm glad you recognize what I did, since it's Page 1 material from the Steve & Steve Wonder Twins handbook.

39 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

As usual, the drama queen adds nothing .... but drama.

1 minute ago, Mag6240 said:

I’m not sure what is being pushed has to do with “coming out”.  I mean, I don’t really give a rats ass what you want to identify as, let’s just take the high road and not force or prescribe drugs on these kids if they feel different.  Talk to them, see what they are thinking, and be the adult in the room.  It’s amazing what talking with someone who’s not necessarily thinking like everyone else can reveal.  Could be any number of reasons.

Couldn't agree more.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Mr.Admin and Steroid Steve fucking ANOTHER thread…shocker.

7 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Your fake outrage is laughable ... well done :lol: And I'm glad you recognize what I did, since it's Page 1 material from the Steve & Steve Wonder Twins handbook.

As usual, the drama queen adds nothing .... but drama.

Thanks for the help!

15 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Yup :thumbsup: Dr.'s gotta quit thinking everything can be solved with medication too.