Check your account email address ×

Dan O Does Some Sirloins

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Never seen it done that way, but wow that looks good.......

There’s an Italian place that used to be in Detroit and now is in Pontiac called Lelli’s that cooks the filets this way. They are incredible. I asked the waiter one time how they make them and he explained this process. Never tried it at home.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Looks good, I would maybe bump it up to 140 though, 130 is on the low end for fat rendering.

Neal

Still like a nice sear, but its so much more tender if you don't cook it past med rare imo.

Just now, DriftBusta said:

Still like a nice sear, but its so much more tender if you don't cook it past med rare imo.

Me too, the crust looked pretty light for what I like.

Also I think it would take a lot longer to do on any rib cut, this technique is best for fillet or loin with little fat.  It didn’t look bad though.

Neal

22 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Looks good, I would maybe bump it up to 140 though, 130 is on the low end for fat rendering.

Neal

That's the magic of sous vide.  You can turn short ribs into tenderloin tenderness without overcooking.  140 is ruined...

I sous vide a ton of stuff, but steak is better reverse seared IMO.  Chicken, Turkey and other things that normally need to be cooked too far however are brilliant sous vide.  It is also by far the best way to defrost meat and reheat leftovers.

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

That's the magic of sous vide.  You can turn short ribs into tenderloin tenderness without overcooking.  140 is ruined...

I sous vide a ton of stuff, but steak is better reverse seared IMO.  Chicken, Turkey and other things that normally need to be cooked too far however are brilliant sous vide.  It is also by far the best way to defrost meat and reheat leftovers.

As long as the fat is melted out and the myoglobin transition (140*+) is stayed below there won’t be a difference.  Actin denaturing is what makes the meat tough, and that doesn’t happen until well over 140.

Neal

26 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Still like a nice sear, but it’s so much more tender if you don't cook it past med rare imo.

Didn’t watch the whole video but I was told they throw the filet on the grill for a few minutes after the sous vide, just to finish it off.

😛

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Didn’t watch the whole video but I was told they throw the filet on the grill for a few minutes after the sous vide, just to finish it off.

😛

He threw the Sirloins in a hot cast iron with Avacado Oil…90 seconds a side.👊🏻👌🏻

37 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

As long as the fat is melted out and the myoglobin transition (140*+) is stayed below there won’t be a difference.  Actin denaturing is what makes the meat tough, and that doesn’t happen until well over 140.

Neal

oh shit, now we gotta worry about myoglobin transition and actin denaturing?!  Who knew?!  :lol: :bc: 

1 hour ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Neal

At 140 beef is horribly overcooked.  The myoglobin transition is what discolors it.  Could care less about that.  I would toss out steak that has been in the actin denaturing range.  I've been using the sous vide technique for almost 15 years.  Again, not my jam on steak but once you eat a 140f chicken breast you will never want a 165f one.

41 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

At 140 beef is horribly overcooked.  The myoglobin transition is what discolors it.  Could care less about that.  I would toss out steak that has been in the actin denaturing range.  I've been using the sous vide technique for almost 15 years.  Again, not my jam on steak but once you eat a 140f chicken breast you will never want a 165f one.

Same with a pork chop. I’ve been eating them cooked at 145 for years. 

58 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Thats kooky.

And not searing is pretty wild.

Neal

Edited by NaturallyAspirated

18 minutes ago, SSFB said:

Same with a pork chop. I’ve been eating them cooked at 145 for years. 

Pork chops - 137F and actually lower is even okay if trichinosis isn't a concern...which fundamentally it isn't today.

4 minutes ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Thats kooky.

And not searing is pretty wild.

Neal

Oh, lord.  Not searing?  ROFL.  I sear HARD.  No maillard is no good.  Period.  

These were reverse seared, which fundamentally is rather similar to sous vide but with extra flavor.

Wagyu Zabuton.  Fair amount of marbling

rw0Yygr.jpg

Cooked to 118F, seared at 900F.

31eGCN3.png

You can see the fat has melted as all that glistening is exactly what makes you smack your lips.

Tenderloin, reverse seared.  Final temp of 115F.  It was glorious and super tender.

9oLqGZZ.png

Also well marbled and the marbling broke down gloriously.

KZgofRa.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deephaven said:

The steaks from Costco are blade tenderized and need to be cooked to 145F with a 3 minute rest.  Such a shame to take a prime cut of beef, run it through a blade tenderizer, and then cook it to 145.

14 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

The steaks from Costco are blade tenderized and need to be cooked to 145F with a 3 minute rest.  Such a shame to take a prime cut of beef, run it through a blade tenderizer, and then cook it to 145.

Blade tenderizing shouldn't be done to any steak.  I have a Jaccard and can tenderize at home.  Occasionally some cuts make that logical.  If you sear first and then do it there are no concerns over rareness.  145 is destroyed.