Check your account email address ×

Weekend Sled Wrenching

Been using Fastrac studs and backers for a long time.  I do use the single ply backers (SP) because they're a little larger dia on 2 ply tracks

20231104_092200.jpg

6 minutes ago, Doug said:

Been using Fastrac studs and backers for a long time.  I do use the single ply backers (SP) because they're a little larger dia on 2 ply tracks

Have you noticed any concerns with either the stud threads, or the nuts ... quality wise?  I helped a buddy stud his sled back in October, and we had probably a dozen times where the nut wouldn't tighten up to the backer very well.  We got through it, but it was odd.  Fast forward to last week, and that buddy of mine with the new Catalyst sleds, he also uses FastTrac studs and backers ... he mentioned similar issues.

12 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Have you noticed any concerns with either the stud threads, or the nuts ... quality wise?  I helped a buddy stud his sled back in October, and we had probably a dozen times where the nut wouldn't tighten up to the backer very well.  We got through it, but it was odd.  Fast forward to last week, and that buddy of mine with the new Catalyst sleds, he also uses FastTrac studs and backers ... he mentioned similar issues.

Couple times had some minor issues.  Get the nut started use a dewalt impact to snug up the nut and tighten by hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

I do not use plastic backers but i thought i read guys will tap them FIRST? and use a drop of super glue?  Couple guys over on TY  that swear by those plastic backers but only if you tap them first ..  Maybe its the ones that don't use nuts? 

Edited by jonlafon1

27 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

I do not use plastic backers but i thought i read guys will tap them FIRST? and use a drop of super glue?  Couple guys over on TY  that swear by those plastic backers but only if you tap them first ..  Maybe its the ones that don't use nuts? 

Those are studboy pro-series.  You soak them in warm soapy water prior to installing them.  They're a pain in the ass installing them so I can see where tapping them prior would help.  They do hook up well but a friend of mine had vibration issues until he added more studs.  He read of other guys having vibration issues also.

Studboy backers.jpg

• Like 1

I added some cable style scratchers to the 21 850. Not sure how well these work, I have heard mixed reviews.

20231215_132943.jpg

20231215_132934.jpg

Fixed up the broken front track shock on the 16 800, not really sure who broke it, but I have a suspect. 

20231203_142816.jpg

Edited by MnDean
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, MnDean said:

I added some cable style scratchers to the 21 850. Not sure how well these work, I have heard mixed reviews.

20231215_132943.jpg

20231215_132934.jpg

Fixed up the broken front track shock on the 16 800, not really sure who broke it, but I have a suspect. 

20231203_142816.jpg

SLP’s?  Yeah those tips don’t last, and don’t do a very good job at kicking up snow.  0-2 with myself and a buddy who tried them.  Only tried them when we couldn’t find the Dura-Flex (or knock offs) for a while.

Edited by Mag6240
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MnDean said:

20231215_132943.jpg

20231215_132934.jpg

20231203_142816.jpg

watch those scratchers closely!!ends are heavy and with that sharp tip they can hammer rails but they do look like shorter ones so may be ok?

43 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

SLP’s?  Yeah those tips don’t last, and don’t do a very good job at kicking up snow.  0-2 with myself and a buddy who tried them.  Only tried them when we couldn’t find the Dura-Flex (or knock offs) for a while.

Keep in mind, most of us don't plan on dragging scratchers 6,000 miles a year either.

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

Thanks , I will use these up,then get some duraflex scratchers. 

11 minutes ago, X2700 said:

watch those scratchers closely!!ends are heavy and with that sharp tip they can hammer rails but they do look like shorter ones so may be ok?

They are the short ones, but I will keep an eye on them.

On 1/2/2024 at 2:36 PM, MnDean said:

20231215_132943.jpg

20231215_132934.jpg

20231203_142816.jpg

where did you get those rail holders?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1995xcr600 said:

where did you get those rail holders?

I designed them in solidworks, then I 3D printed them. The scratcher mounts I machined out of aluminum and shot some paint on them.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, MnDean said:

I designed them in solidworks, then I 3D printed them. The scratcher mounts I machined out of aluminum and shot some paint on them.

Nice work!! :bc:

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 1:36 PM, MnDean said:

20231215_132934.jpg

This was my buddies tip solution 

84245B49-5050-4FC9-BB35-360CC1D0EB4C.jpeg

On 1/5/2024 at 4:19 PM, MnDean said:

Nice job.  Do you have a 3D printer at home

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Doug said:

Nice job.  Do you have a 3D printer at home

Thanks, I don't have a 3D printer, but a place I do a lot of work for has a couple of printers,so these parts just went in the general printing queue.

• Like 2

This weekend I tested at least a dozen exhaust combos, 4 y pipes 3 expansions chambers 4 silencers.  Think I got it settled.  Stock expansion pipe that I shortened the head pipe was the winner, had to be the ugliest one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if our U.P. trip is gonna happen, but if it does ... I had to do some looking at my sled & also doing some work on it from this past weekend.  Good thing we only rode about 90 miles on Saturday because my carbides wouldn't have survived a second day up north!! LOL  Thankfully the studs and hyfax held up okay.  You can also see the difference between a stock Pro-Steer ski from the factory vs. a shimmed ski using Bergstrom's shim kit.  I added the OTTP ski mounted scratchers and a new set of carbides, and then did the One Rig tunnel rack mount for my bag to keep the top of the tunnel from getting all scratched up & got the Polaris bag mounted (no pics of that).  Other than cleaning it up a bit and topping off with gas & oil, I guess I'm ready .... if we go.

IMG_1443.thumb.jpg.09374506ac3527e76a0157d4df15046b.jpg

IMG_1442.thumb.jpg.ee7e9d1d879dcb7b3e73155bdd8407f8.jpg

IMG_1447.thumb.jpg.079d88c7dbeef2c139cef7db21a8e2bc.jpg

IMG_1444.thumb.jpg.a22ba40bfcdeb880675c0aaa7929d289.jpg

IMG_1448.thumb.jpg.689a6da01ef15cc9f4a7ee70245b02c9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Wife did not like the red white and blue colors of the sled she'll be riding next year.  Started changing the decals around to swap out the sunset red body panels.

20240317_135134.jpg

20240317_140951.jpg

• Like 2

That sunset red is so sharp .... looks great!  Yeah, I'm biased since I have one, but I still would say that's one of the best color combos Polaris has done in a while.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bontz said:

That sunset red is so sharp .... looks great!  Yeah, I'm biased since I have one, but I still would say that's one of the best color combos Polaris has done in a while.

I agree, that shade of red is damn nice on a sled.