Check your account email address ×

Weekend Sled Wrenching

4 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I think I am kind of numb to it so far and just staying busy with other things. 

You ain't alone.  I still say, it's December and this is the time of year it's about a 50/50 shot at being able to ride.  Hell, I remember going up north and riding through mud areas in years past during New Year's weekend.  If the pattern flips and we get into seasonal temps by next week, January will at least have the potential for riding.  I won't get too worked up over it until we get to mid-January and this shit potentially continues.

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

How bad is it up by you guys?  Any ice surviving on the lakes or has the rain and warmer temps basically caused you guys to start from scratch again, like down here in the southeast part of the state?  I heard, as of last week, there was about 5"-6" of ice on some of the lakes up in northern Wisconsin where we generally go, but the past 2 days didn't help I bet.

The couple operations that were letting people go out on Mille Lacs have closed their access until further notice. I'm sure there has been some loss of thickness but the main concern is that the old holes get rather large with that much water going down. It's a little crazy that such a small portion of the lake is ice covered at this point. Pic is from northwest corner on Saturday. 

FB_IMG_1703602638246.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My son was at his girlfriends dads house south of Garrison and they couldn’t believe people had shacks out there on Saturday, but the ice only went maybe 1000’ out.  I can only imagine it’s about gone today.

Finally set aside the time to get my track studded and skid put back in.  They're on the spendy side but I'm telling you guys, these "Stud Star Backers" are freaking awesome compared to any other backer I've used.  At least now I could ride it if a miracle happened and we got cold & snow!  I sill have to get my heated shield plug-in installed and the ski-mounted ice scratchers, but that shouldn't be too much of a hassled (knock on wood).  I should really try to take advantage of the weather and go get the trailer out of storage and repack the wheel bearings.

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Finally set aside the time to get my track studded and skid put back in.  They're on the spendy side but I'm telling you guys, these "Stud Star Backers" are freaking awesome compared to any other backer I've used.  At least now I could ride it if a miracle happened and we got cold & snow!  I sill have to get my heated shield plug-in installed and the ski-mounted ice scratchers, but that shouldn't be too much of a hassled (knock on wood).  I should really try to take advantage of the weather and go get the trailer out of storage and repack the wheel bearings.

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

The heated shield plug is about a 15 minute job.  There's a step by step post in the Polaris forum. 

5 minutes ago, Doug said:

The heated shield plug is about a 15 minute job.  There's a step by step post in the Polaris forum. 

Yup - I’m familiar with it. We did my buddy’s sled a couple months ago … pretty easy. I need to find a hole saw or spade - that’s my biggest hurdle. 

1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

Finished adjusting the track and belt deflection, and now put the cover on and wait. Next inline is the Indy 340 bog that I chased last winter.

20231231_143447.jpg

What year is that?  I had one in my possession I think in 2009-10ish - @Doug or @Crnr2Crnr might remember which year had good snow in central Sconnie - it was a fun sled!  Guy stored it at my place in Amherst and said take it for a spin - I think I put 5-600 miles on it!  LOL

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mag6240 said:

What year is that?  I had one in my possession I think in 2009-10ish - @Doug or @Crnr2Crnr might remember which year had good snow in central Sconnie - it was a fun sled!  Guy stored it at my place in Amherst and said take it for a spin - I think I put 5-600 miles on it!  LOL

It's a 2006. 

• Like 3

On 12/30/2023 at 9:50 AM, Bontz said:

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

that's a great looking sled. red and black is killer , but not always tastefully done. when i bought my blue xcr i begged the guy to see if he had a red one. nope. i get mine home , next day, fucking red one on his site . prick. the blue has grown on me , and you don't see many. even less red ones. this is what i wanted

850-indy-xcr.png?v=7afd2d81&format=webp

• Like 2

On 12/30/2023 at 8:50 AM, Bontz said:

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

Is this a Cobra 2 ply?  Appears to be.. Getting ready to stud one of these tracks.. I really have my doubts on this track.. Its only on a 600 but man the lugs feel awfully flexible on the cobra. I could see this track for off trail occasionally.. I spend 100% on trail and usually hard pack.. I guess will see how the cobra performs.. I see that polaris has been running the cobra 2 ply for a few years now?  By the way > like those 'star" backers.  

Just now, jonlafon1 said:

Is this a Cobra 2 ply?  Appears to be.. Getting ready to stud one of these tracks.. I really have my doubts on this track.. Its only on a 600 but man the lugs feel awfully flexible on the cobra. I could see this track for off trail occasionally.. I spend 100% on trail and usually hard pack.. I guess will see how the cobra performs.. I see that polaris has been running the cobra 2 ply for a few years now?  By the way > like those 'star" backers.  

You have the same track as I do, yep.  My buddy's got a Catalyst RXC (and his wife has a ZR), and we were kind of comparing our sleds last week.  As far as the Cobra track goes, I agree with you in that I'd much rather have something like a Rip2, because the Cobra is a bit soft.  Like you assumed, it's a good track in the softer trail conditions and not as good on the hard packed stuff.  As far as the backers go - thanks.  I've had them now on 3 sleds, and really like them (especially the ease of installing them).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

All Polaris trail sleds are 2 ply tracks.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bontz said:

You have the same track as I do, yep.  My buddy's got a Catalyst RXC (and his wife has a ZR), and we were kind of comparing our sleds last week.  As far as the Cobra track goes, I agree with you in that I'd much rather have something like a Rip2, because the Cobra is a bit soft.  Like you assumed, it's a good track in the softer trail conditions and not as good on the hard packed stuff.  As far as the backers go - thanks.  I've had them now on 3 sleds, and really like them (especially the ease of installing them).

Thanks..  Yes first thing I wanted to know was the cobra at least a 2 ply(2024 RXC cat). Im going to stud her up and run it.. I had a cobra many years ago. It hooked good even without studs in the looser shit come late afternoon trails.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

Thanks..  Yes first thing I wanted to know was the cobra at least a 2 ply(2024 RXC cat). Im going to stud her up and run it.. I had a cobra many years ago. It hooked good even without studs in the looser shit come late afternoon trails.  

Yeah, I think the only 1-ply tracks out there are with the Doo models.  Don't hold me to that, but I think that's the case.

10 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Yeah, I think the only 1-ply tracks out there are with the Doo models.  Don't hold me to that, but I think that's the case.

For trail sleds Ski-Doo is the only single ply track.  The mountain sleds have a mix of single ply and 2 ply for Polaris

• Like 2