Check your account email address ×

Weekend Sled Wrenching

My weekend started a day early so after I finally finished my Clark Griswald duties I got my shocks put back on the sled.  I hope it meets (exceeds!) expectations & look forward to giving it the first run.  I hope to get the tunnel protectors in later this weekend and then put the skid back in after studding the track. 

IMG_1382.jpeg

IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg

IMG_1385.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

My weekend started a day early so after I finally finished my Clark Griswald duties I got my shocks put back on the sled.  I hope it meets (exceeds!) expectations & look forward to giving it the first run.  I hope to get the tunnel protectors in later this weekend and then put the skid back in after studding the track. 

IMG_1382.jpeg

IMG_1383.jpeg

IMG_1381.jpeg

IMG_1385.jpeg

Post on your suspension updates.  Most interested in the dual-rate springs on the ski's.  The FTS dual-rate spring works out good.

19 minutes ago, Doug said:

Post on your suspension updates.  Most interested in the dual-rate springs on the ski's.  The FTS dual-rate spring works out good.

Will do, yep.  My one regret is that I didn't ride it stock, just to see how noticeable the difference is that Andy put together for me. 

20 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Will do, yep.  My one regret is that I didn't ride it stock, just to see how noticeable the difference is that Andy put together for me. 

I know when on the VR1 stock always ran the FTS spring real light just enough to keep the spring keeper engaged.  Liked the corner handling of the sled best with the setup but had some bottoming issues on the FTS.  With the dual-rate spring you can put a little more preload on the spring, maintain the good cornering and reduce the bottoming.  

Kept the dual-rate spring on the VR1 but pulled one spacer out with my wife riding that sled this year and put a dual-rate FTS on the XCR this year.

Do you have the HD torsion springs on?

3 hours ago, Doug said:

I know when on the VR1 stock always ran the FTS spring real light just enough to keep the spring keeper engaged.  Liked the corner handling of the sled best with the setup but had some bottoming issues on the FTS.  With the dual-rate spring you can put a little more preload on the spring, maintain the good cornering and reduce the bottoming.  

Kept the dual-rate spring on the VR1 but pulled one spacer out with my wife riding that sled this year and put a dual-rate FTS on the XCR this year.

Do you have the HD torsion springs on?

Yep - the HD torsions are on.  I had them to put on my '21 VR1 but I never ended up using them, so I'm glad to be able to finally put them to use with this sled.  Andy mentioned to make this work best, those would be needed.  

18 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Yep - the HD torsions are on.  I had them to put on my '21 VR1 but I never ended up using them, so I'm glad to be able to finally put them to use with this sled.  Andy mentioned to make this work best, those would be needed.  

I like a softer ride than most.  Until last year had a set of HD springs but didn't use them.  Last year put them in but ended taking one out and ran one HD and one stock spring.  That worked the best for me.

The XCR has HD springs stock starting last year so we'll see how they work.  Some guys that put the HD springs in complained that the sled was bucking them basically to fast of rebound.  With HD springs yes more resistance to bottoming but also faster rebound.  Many guys don't take that into consideration when they change springs.  Changed the rebound shim stack on a guy's sled that I ride with and he said that helped a lot.  I know Andy would take the rebound with HD springs into consideration with his setup.

• Like 1

Busy weekend. Went to ice fishing show in Duluth Saturday and met my buddy and brought his Elan to him. That frees up some space to start trying to diagnose the issue with the Indy 340. Diamond drive is back in the Crossfire and the skid is back under it, so I'll be ordering the new primary clutch. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Hoping to get back after it tomorrow and this weekend.

Denny ships fast.  Had parts I ordered from him in less in 14 hours.

Yep, generally if you order before 8 p.m. you get it next day. 

Got a lot of shit done.

Catalyst #2 assembled and ready for break-in on Friday afternoon.

XF #1 is ready to go.  XF #2 needs a snap ring after having it gutted out for the new driveshaft and all new driveline bearings.

RXC #1 is ready to go, RXC #2 got a handful of new parts, a wipe down, and it ready to hit the trails.

Cheetah mostly runs.  Still has low idle and I have that idle screw maxed out on the carb.

Enticer got moved around the shop this weekend, but a lot of new bling is ready to go on.

ZR206's are both ready to go.  

• Like 2

Not much sled work this weekend other than a little misc. stuff Friday evening and reading a ton of old posts on HCS and Arcticchat about clutching. Put an order in Country Cat today so hope that comes later this week.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2023 at 11:38 AM, Sled_Hed said:

One part assembled for my "pile of junk"

Snapchat-962241708.jpg

I got this bad boy for 325 shipped and he included a new pin kit and some weights that may or may not work but will be worth testing.  He had it on a wildcat project sled and says it has under 100 miles!  Sold the sled and the 30mm didn't fit his other stuff.  Super pumped, you can't beat a new clutch and it is pretty close to brand new.  I had been watching a couple fixed pin clutches on eBay and they were the same money but originals off of 15-20 year old sleds.

PXL_20231225_025252216.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mnstang said:

I got this bad boy for 325 shipped and he included a new pin kit and some weights that may or may not work but will be worth testing.  He had it on a wildcat project sled and says it has under 100 miles!  Sold the sled and the 30mm didn't fit his other stuff.  Super pumped, you can't beat a new clutch and it is pretty close to brand new.  I had been watching a couple fixed pin clutches on eBay and they were the same money but originals off of 15-20 year old sleds.

PXL_20231225_025252216.jpg

Nice! That looks pretty good. I ordered a belt tonight and at least I will be able to run it on the stand and tighten track etc.

1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

Nice! That looks pretty good. I ordered a belt tonight and at least I will be able to run it on the stand and tighten track etc.

Yeah, this winter is getting pretty ridiculous 

8 hours ago, mnstang said:

Yeah, this winter is getting pretty ridiculous 

How bad is it up by you guys?  Any ice surviving on the lakes or has the rain and warmer temps basically caused you guys to start from scratch again, like down here in the southeast part of the state?  I heard, as of last week, there was about 5"-6" of ice on some of the lakes up in northern Wisconsin where we generally go, but the past 2 days didn't help I bet.

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

How bad is it up by you guys?  Any ice surviving on the lakes or has the rain and warmer temps basically caused you guys to start from scratch again, like down here in the southeast part of the state?  I heard, as of last week, there was about 5"-6" of ice on some of the lakes up in northern Wisconsin where we generally go, but the past 2 days didn't help I bet.

I'm not sure about lakes but on 12-23 I could ride the ATV across the swamps and the ice was still good.  I have to go out today again and I am guessing there will be no ice.  I think I am kind of numb to it so far and just staying busy with other things.  Garage wrenching being one of them.

• Like 2