Check your account email address ×

Yamaha Sleds

Yes those are great looking sleds , it’s really too bad Yamaha entered that agreement with cat instead of just staying in their own. It’s really was probably the end of cat and Yamaha. The procross shit box fuck pile killed two manus 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Yes those are great looking sleds , it’s really too bad Yamaha entered that agreement with cat instead of just staying in their own. It’s really was probably the end of cat and Yamaha. The procross shit box fuck pile killed two manus 

I bet they're still great sleds for the big country where you can let them stretch their legs.  Never tried one with power steering, but think it would make a great trail sled.

43 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I bet they're still great sleds for the big country where you can let them stretch their legs.  Never tried one with power steering, but think it would make a great trail sled.

I’m sure they are , they are just 10 years behind everyone else 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I’m sure they are , they are just 10 years behind everyone else 

I agree. But they still make the biggest baddest motor, and i've always liked cats for their handling and innovation, although thats fallen way behind.  I'd love to try a Catalyst though, not a 600 guy, but if they upped the handling equation, its reliable and screwed together right could be a great sled.  It will take some time before anyone matches Ski Doos out of the box build quality and reliability though.

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

I agree. But they still make the biggest baddest motor, and i've always liked cats for their handling and innovation, although thats fallen way behind.  I'd love to try a Catalyst though, not a 600 guy, but if they upped the handling equation, its reliable and screwed together right could be a great sled.  It will take some time before anyone matches Ski Doos out of the box build quality and reliability though.

I think Polaris is right there with doo now. The 850 etec is smooth no doubt but the patriot is faster and everything about it makes more sense. Not to mention is rides way better than the doo. The cat isn’t worth mentioning. I do hope the catalyst is a homerun 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 11:02 AM, Doug said:

Yamaha sure had some notable and evolutional sleds over the years.  Shame to see them go. 

v-max 4.jpg

2000 SRX.jpg

1976 SRX.jpg

My uncle ice dragged several early SRXs, including a showpiece 77.  I owned new 80 440, 98 and 00 SRX 700s

10 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

My uncle ice dragged several early SRXs, including a showpiece 77.  I owned new 80 440, 98 and 00 SRX 700s

The early SRX's are very collectable and bring good money.  In 1976 they made a 340 SRX which was a one year only production sled.

The Yamaha that was pulled at the last minute a 1982 SRX 500.  Some were already at the dealers and some actually got sold and are now very collectable.

Article from Supertrax

Down through the history of snowmobiling there have been snowmobiles built that fell short of expectations. At that time, the idea behind them seemed good – but the execution just didn’t pan out…

YAMAHA SRX 500

1982 Yamaha SRX 500

On a scale rivalling the legend of the Bermuda Triangle sits the mystery of the 1982 Yamaha SRX 500.

In what has to be the only event of its kind in snowmobile history, this gorgeous snowmobile was mass produced but never allowed to be taken home by a group of purchasers and dealers who had ordered up heavy early-season. Folklore has it the entire production run of these beauties was sent to an anonymous Midwest wrecking yard to be crushed. Say it isn’t so!

To explain what actually happened here would be risky. Why? The stories surrounding the SRX 500 are myriad and we suspect Yamaha has not had much to do with any of them.

Imagine building and marketing a new top-of-the-market snowmobile to find out there was something so critically wrong with it the factory decided to pull it from the shelf and make it disappear. We suspect Yamaha really wasn’t interested in explaining what happened. It was obvious – it was something really bad.

Rumors abound of post delivery crankshaft problems, primary clutch explosions, seizures and the list goes on. For what it’s worth, we think what might have been the reason for the SRX 500’s disappearance was underachievement.

It’s possible, after dismal performance from the 1981 440 SRX and the bold promise the new 500 engine and clutches being the fix, the company elected to cut bait and shelve the SRX name – to be resurrected sometime in the company’s sno-mo-future.

It’s no secret the SRX moniker was ultimately dusted off and legitimately and successfully rejuvenated in the late 90’s through today.

1982 SRX 1.jpg

1982 SRX.jpg

34 minutes ago, Doug said:

The Yamaha that was pulled at the last minute a 1982 SRX 500.  Some were already at the dealers and some actually got sold and are now very collectable.

Article from Supertrax

Down through the history of snowmobiling there have been snowmobiles built that fell short of expectations. At that time, the idea behind them seemed good – but the execution just didn’t pan out…

YAMAHA SRX 500

1982 Yamaha SRX 500

On a scale rivalling the legend of the Bermuda Triangle sits the mystery of the 1982 Yamaha SRX 500.

In what has to be the only event of its kind in snowmobile history, this gorgeous snowmobile was mass produced but never allowed to be taken home by a group of purchasers and dealers who had ordered up heavy early-season. Folklore has it the entire production run of these beauties was sent to an anonymous Midwest wrecking yard to be crushed. Say it isn’t so!

To explain what actually happened here would be risky. Why? The stories surrounding the SRX 500 are myriad and we suspect Yamaha has not had much to do with any of them.

Imagine building and marketing a new top-of-the-market snowmobile to find out there was something so critically wrong with it the factory decided to pull it from the shelf and make it disappear. We suspect Yamaha really wasn’t interested in explaining what happened. It was obvious – it was something really bad.

Rumors abound of post delivery crankshaft problems, primary clutch explosions, seizures and the list goes on. For what it’s worth, we think what might have been the reason for the SRX 500’s disappearance was underachievement.

It’s possible, after dismal performance from the 1981 440 SRX and the bold promise the new 500 engine and clutches being the fix, the company elected to cut bait and shelve the SRX name – to be resurrected sometime in the company’s sno-mo-future.

It’s no secret the SRX moniker was ultimately dusted off and legitimately and successfully rejuvenated in the late 90’s through today.

1982 SRX 1.jpg

1982 SRX.jpg

there's one which escaped the crusher... don't recall where I read the story atm. 

@fortune46x... SRX pic? 

16 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

there's one which escaped the crusher... don't recall where I read the story atm. 

@fortune46x... SRX pic? 

Some had been sold complete before Yamaha pulled them back.  Dealers that had them had the option of pulling the motor and sending that back to Yamaha then sell the chassis as a roller or sending the complete sled back.

12 hours ago, Doug said:

The early SRX's are very collectable and bring good money.  In 1976 they made a 340 SRX which was a one year only production sled.

Local yami nut sold one of his 76's a couple years ago for a pretty good chunk of cash.

25 minutes ago, fortune46x said:

Currently redoing this turd. 

8968A883-439A-452C-8397-058DBAB1BBFF.jpeg

Always hated that sled.  Ran a lot of radar runs back in the day when I had a 78 Blizzard 6500 (340).  Did good with that sled until a guy with a 76 340 SRX ran.  Always had trouble with that sled. 

From your pic the sled looks in good shape for you to start with.  Nice to see your restoring it.  Great to see these sleds having an extended life.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2023 at 8:46 PM, DriftBusta said:

Beautiful.  How is parts availability for them these days?

Slim , going through the engine now and sourced bearings/seals , Vertex makes a seal kit and a gasket kit but they dont have the seals for the water pump bearings etc. Got pistons from koch performance and the cylinders are off getting redone. should have it together hopefully by christmas.

On 11/29/2023 at 9:14 PM, Doug said:

Always hated that sled.  Ran a lot of radar runs back in the day when I had a 78 Blizzard 6500 (340).  Did good with that sled until a guy with a 76 340 SRX ran.  Always had trouble with that sled. 

From your pic the sled looks in good shape for you to start with.  Nice to see your restoring it.  Great to see these sleds having an extended life.

Its got good bones , few dings and scratches but its over 40 years old. someone had oval raced it , I took off the bars that were on it and put on a pair of what I thought were the GYT srx bars that my grandpa had in his garage when we cleaned it out - turns out they were from my grandpas SSR. itll be a fun little ripper when its done.

• Like 4