Check your account email address ×

CATALYST Quality Ooops- Reposted from HCS/SnoWest

I've seen a few reports now of M 600 Alpha's with some minor quality issues. For those taking delivery, it would be a good idea to go through your sled thoroughly before taking it out (which you should be doing anyway!). 

This is pretty minor, but obviously should have been caught at the factory and by a dealer on PDI.....  

1700575918339.jpeg

Reminds me of 20 years ago, taking delivery of my Firecat.  I think that was the very first item pointed out and how people were shocked it could leave the factory like that.  Little did we know, that was just the tip of the iceberg for the '03 models.  In fairness to TextCat, I don't think the Catalyst will endure 17 service buletins, like the Firecat had.

3 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I'm waiting to see if it's 2012 2.0

I don't think that's possible. It took a while, but I eventually got my '12 to ride/handle well and be pretty reliable. I never did get my belt blowing issues straightened out. 

In all honesty, I suspect that they know what's at stake, and will do a better job than they did for the '12's. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 8:59 PM, ICG said:

That's so insignificant, it's not worth mentioning......

Sounds like a hollow attack against Arctic Cat

Its been a while since Arctic Cat has come out with a new platform so just like the other manufactures the first year always brings out a couple issues.  It should be more looked at as things to check.

• Like 1

You're not wrong about that. Again, Textron knows what is at stake here, and I would suspect that this release will be better than what we ran in to with the '12's. There will be lots of things posted online tho, and it will provide folks with things to watch for.

At the same time, this should be fun to watch because there will be some ridiculous issues that will pop up out of the blue as these sleds hit the snow. 

• Like 1

tbh, I'm not sold on those spindles or how the upper A-arm is mounted compared to the older and beefier (looking) ones.

a bolt and tri nut vs. a ball joint?  ball joint please. 

spindle.png

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

tbh, I'm not sold on those spindles or how the upper A-arm is mounted compared to the older and beefier (looking) ones.

spindle.png

If Cat has one advantage over the others, its right there.  They've had the front geometry equation solved for some time.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2023 at 1:12 PM, Crnr2Crnr said:

Is that arm bent?  I admittedly have no idea how the short arms are shaped.

It's always hard to tell what is exactly happening with some of these posts.  Seems odd if all the blue gunk on the nut and arm is extra locktite.

On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of threading a steel bolt into the thin aluminum upper spindle section if that's how they are built.  I see the potential for too many back yard hacks going full bore on the bolt and splitting the spindle.  That point is weaker than the steel A arm section with the bolt.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, favoritos said:

Is that arm bent?  I admittedly have no idea how the short arms are shaped.

It's always hard to tell what is exactly happening with some of these posts.  Seems odd if all the blue gunk on the nut and arm is extra locktite.

On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of threading a steel bolt into the thin aluminum upper spindle section if that's how they are built.  I see the potential for too many back yard hacks going full bore on the bolt and splitting the spindle.  That point is weaker than the steel A arm section with the bolt.

IDK if they are screwing it directly into the spindle or using a Tri-nut (triangle) on the back side of the spindle like the last Procross design. 

See #5

https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/arc/649b1771c201684a61fa91ef/a-arm-and-sway-bar-assembly

Still waiting for a parts break down of the new chassis but there's nothing out there on Country Cat or Babbitt's yet... :dunno:  If they're going right into the aluminum spindle, I disapprove. 

Psst... hey @krom, what's the scoop?

nope @favoritos, bolt goes right into the f'ng spindle.  

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-parts/

Look at 24 M's or Riot's which must have recently been loaded.

Is that an aluminum screw as well??? 

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-cat-2623-340-screw-shldr-tsh-m8x1-25x45-cl10-9sz-alum

spindle arm.png

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

Glad to see part diagrams are starting to show.

I don't have a clue if the screw is aluminum.  The description does look that way.  I don't recall ever seeing a shoulder bolt made of aluminum.  Honestly, it wouldn't be a good design if that is the case.  Shoulder bolts are nice in the fact that they seat and bottom out nicely.  That feature would be a problem with stretchy composition material.  It would not be a reusable bolt for that application.

5 minutes ago, favoritos said:

Glad to see part diagrams are starting to show.

I don't have a clue if the screw is aluminum.  The description does look that way.  I don't recall ever seeing a shoulder bolt made of aluminum.  Honestly, it wouldn't be a good design if that is the case.  Shoulder bolts are nice in the fact that they seat and bottom out nicely.  That feature would be a problem with stretchy composition material.  It would not be a reusable bolt for that application.

neither do I... wonder if it's designed to shear upon impact and if so most people are going to end up purchasing a spindle as well unless they're capable of drilling and extracting it.  single use

imo, and until proven otherwise this is a fail.   

29 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

neither do I... wonder if it's designed to shear upon impact and if so most people are going to end up purchasing a spindle as well unless they're capable of drilling and extracting it.  single use

imo, and until proven otherwise this is a fail.   

Throw some salt water on it and it will corrode and never come out 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

spindle.png

AC has been using that bolt/trinut setup for years now on the M's and G2 sleds