Check your account email address ×

You Can’t Even Eat The Deer

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, spin_dry said:

Fucking catholic nuns would do that shit. Left handedness was deemed crooked and evil. 

Ya that definitely wasnt the case for my father. He went to school in Berlin. They were Lutheran as far as i know.

21 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Reason i ask is my father is a lefty, but they forced him to learn how to write with his right hand when he started school. Was curious if they did the same to him.

Learned to write left handed, throw left handed, shoot left handed.  Golf, bat, most everything else right handed. 

3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Learned to write left handed, throw left handed, shoot left handed.  Golf, bat, most everything else right handed. 

:bc:

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

x2,   I like some backstraps if they're done up right, but otherwise thanks I'm good.  Ate enough venison to know that I'm just not a fan.  Son in law just shot a moose a couple weeks ago, and I hear thats better, so we'll see.  My outlook is if I'm not wililng to harvest an animal, I have no business killing it.  Dad was a hunter, I still have his mint Savage 99 .308 , like 1962 vintage.  Just not a hunter.  Beautiful gun though.

I'm a lefty, but had lasik some years back, which makes my right eye distance focused, and my left eye reading focused.  It works great until I'm shooting a gun left handed and trying to focus.  Have to wear all distance glasses.  Shooting a gun right handed just feels weird to me.

I hate the idea of having that multi lense deal. It’s common but I wouldn’t want it 

8 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I hate the idea of having that multi lense deal. It’s common but I wouldn’t want it 

One of my best buddies is an eye doc and he talked me into it.  I would have to say that despite certain times when its not perfect, its overall way better.  Only time at my age I throw readers on is when I'm on a computer.  Reading a menu, newspaper, driving...no glasses needed.

Just now, DriftBusta said:

One of my best buddies is an eye doc and he talked me into it.  I would have to say that despite certain times when its not perfect, its overall way better.  Only time at my age I throw readers on is when I'm on a computer.  Reading a menu, newspaper, driving...no glasses needed.

My wife got it done quite a few years ago. She needs readers now for close reading. Otherwise shes good.

4 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Venison gets a bad rap taste wise for two major reasons.  It's always way over cooked and lots of hunters shoot for a rack and not for meat.  Sad as younger ones taste better.

You also have to know what you’re doing butchering and preparing the meat. I can’t say that I’m a big fan of venison as it’s just too lean but I agree with what you’re saying. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

x2,   I like some backstraps if they're done up right, but otherwise thanks I'm good.  Ate enough venison to know that I'm just not a fan.  Son in law just shot a moose a couple weeks ago, and I hear thats better, so we'll see.  My outlook is if I'm not wililng to harvest an animal, I have no business killing it.  Dad was a hunter, I still have his mint Savage 99 .308 , like 1962 vintage.  Just not a hunter.  Beautiful gun though.

I'm a lefty, but had lasik some years back, which makes my right eye distance focused, and my left eye reading focused.  It works great until I'm shooting a gun left handed and trying to focus.  Have to wear all distance glasses.  Shooting a gun right handed just feels weird to me.

I make an exception with wild boar. Land owners in Texas and surrounding areas are overrun by the things. They aren't an indigenous species and are very destructive. Basically an invasive species. Two years ago I shot 22 in one night. The following morning we went out for a count. Despite clearing the entire area of hogs over the evening, we had to start shooting the hogs that were feeding on the dead hogs. They are literally everywhere and very mean. They will come for you. There was a rendering plant near a state prison that took in dead hogs, but there were at capacity. The landowner was fine in just letting us let them rot in the west Texas sun. She said they'd be picked clean in a few days. There's no limit on how many you can shoot. No season either. 

12 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I make an exception with wild boar. Land owners in Texas and surrounding areas are overrun by the things. They aren't an indigenous species and are very destructive. Basically an invasive species. Two years ago I shot 22 in one night. The following morning we went out for a count. Despite clearing the entire area of hogs over the evening, we had to start shooting the hogs that were feeding on the dead hogs. They are literally everywhere and very mean. They will come for you. There was a rendering plant near a state prison that took in dead hogs, but there were at capacity. The landowner was fine in just letting us let them rot in the west Texas sun. She said they'd be picked clean in a few days. There's no limit on how many you can shoot. No season either. 

I feel the same way about humans basically 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, spin_dry said:

I’ve got 4 pounds of elk meat in the freezer. I don’t need to add five pounds of seasoning to make it edible. You can keep your deer meat. 

Elk tastes like a fucking goat. Had it once cooked by a chef , all set with that.

10 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Son in law just shot a moose a couple weeks ago, and I hear thats better, so we'll see.     

Much better then venison. I shot one back in 06 Looked forward to it every time I had it.

13 hours ago, f7ben said:

Venison makes good jerky and sausage , the only part I enjoy eating otherwise is the back straps and tenderloins. They are delicious prepared correctly 

It also good for making Chili & Tacos.

A spice company in western Pennsylvania sells all kinds of deer meat kits...... :thumbsup:

https://www.amazon.com/s?srs=13917779011

https://conyeagerspice.com/processing-kits/#

Edited by Jerry 976

Venison is great.  How it is dealt with and prepared usually not.  Much prefer it to Elk or Moose but I also have some of both of those in my freezer.

If you bought an Angus side of beef that was processed well but off a 20 year old animal you would shit how bad it is.  Nearly inedible.  If you also order 98% lean hamburger you would not believe how bad it is.  Most hunters fail at choice and also at dressing.  Ones that don't eat sell versus the inedible shit the others get.

1 hour ago, spin_dry said:

Did you try eating any of it? It tastes alot better than store bought pork. When we went they told us to kill everything we saw and keep what we wanted. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Venison is great.  How it is dealt with and prepared usually not.  Much prefer it to Elk or Moose but I also have some of both of those in my freezer.

If you bought an Angus side of beef that was processed well but off a 20 year old animal you would shit how bad it is.  Nearly inedible.  If you also order 98% lean hamburger you would not believe how bad it is.  Most hunters fail at choice and also at dressing.  Ones that don't eat sell versus the inedible shit the others get.

The taste also is dependent on what they eat. The farm country deer taste different than 1 from the cedar swamps. Both good imo but I'd say farm country is better

• Like 2

Just now, Cat45 said:

The taste also is dependent on what they eat. The farm country deer taste different than 1 from the cedar swamps. Both good imo but I'd say farm country is better

Absolutely.  Deer from by my lake cabin that live on bark taste like ass compared to the ones from the farm where they steal all sorts of corn.  Just like grass fed beef tastes like ass compared to ones finished right.

2 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Absolutely.  Deer from by my lake cabin that live on bark taste like ass compared to the ones from the farm where they steal all sorts of corn.  Just like grass fed beef tastes like ass compared to ones finished right.

You should taste an old swamp Buck lol , my buddies dad raised cattle and let them graze in his “field” that was more less a rolled up swamp. The beef was inedible. 

21 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

Did you try eating any of it? It tastes alot better than store bought pork. When we went they told us to kill everything we saw and keep what we wanted. 

Palatability depends on age of the animal, condition of the animal, what they're feeding on, and time of the year. 

You guys hating on venison ... I know my wife feels the same way.  But it's funny when she scarfs down the chili I make and when it's all said and done I ask her, "How did you enjoy your venison, dear?"  :stirthepot: 

Whoever said it earlier about the backstraps and tenderloin = yep, I agree.  Outside of that we generally turn it into jerky, sticks, or bacon.  A few pounds of ground for stuff like chili, but mostly it's ground up with some pork and turned into snacking food.  Last year we did about 30 pounds of ring bolgna, and that wasn't bad either.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cat45 said:

Yep , a deer eating corn is much better then an acorn muncher.

11 minutes ago, Bontz said:

You guys hating on venison ... I know my wife feels the same way.  But it's funny when she scarfs down the chili I make and when it's all said and done I ask her, "How did you enjoy your venison, dear?"  :stirthepot: 

Whoever said it earlier about the backstraps and tenderloin = yep, I agree.  Outside of that we generally turn it into jerky, sticks, or bacon.  A few pounds of ground for stuff like chili, but mostly it's ground up with some pork and turned into snacking food.  Last year we did about 30 pounds of ring bolgna, and that wasn't bad either.

My wife refuses to eat. Not because of the taste but because she grew extremely poor and had to eat it as many nights it was the only thing to eat.

Tasting it brings her back there mentally and should would rather not go.

• Like 2