Check your account email address ×

You Can’t Even Eat The Deer

Just now, steve from amherst said:

My wife refuses to eat. Not because of the taste but because she grew extremely poor and had to eat it as many nights it was the only thing to eat.

Tasting it brings her back there mentally and should would rather not go.

Yeah, that wouldn't be something to piss her off over for sure.  I know with my wife, the first couple of times (we're talking 20+ years ago) she was pissed at me.  But now, she doesn't even ask ... and honestly, I use ground venison maybe 1/4 of the time I make chili.  We have too much ground beef in the freezer that we get from her grandpa's / uncle's farm, so I use that way more often.

All this talk about chili, I may have to head to the store to get some ingredients to make a batch.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I like some backstraps if they're done up right, but otherwise thanks I'm good.  Ate enough venison to know that I'm just not a fan.  Son in law just shot a moose a couple weeks ago, and I hear thats better, so we'll see. 

Don't hold your breath depending on the moose. Calf meat and 1.5 year old moose is much better than a mature bull or cow. Same holds true for deer. If you're eating someone's trophy buck steaks ,, yeah not so great. But eat a young doe steak cooked right and you wouldn't think it was from the same species.

I have a LOT of experience with both animals.

5 hours ago, f7ben said:

You also have to know what you’re doing butchering and preparing the meat. I can’t say that I’m a big fan of venison as it’s just too lean but I agree with what you’re saying. 

Well ALWAYS butchered our own meat. Had a buddies 75+ year old butcher grandpa teach us when we were young.

• Platinum Contributing Member
34 minutes ago, Bontz said:

You guys hating on venison ... I know my wife feels the same way.  But it's funny when she scarfs down the chili I make and when it's all said and done I ask her, "How did you enjoy your venison, dear?"  :stirthepot: 

Whoever said it earlier about the backstraps and tenderloin = yep, I agree.  Outside of that we generally turn it into jerky, sticks, or bacon.  A few pounds of ground for stuff like chili, but mostly it's ground up with some pork and turned into snacking food.  Last year we did about 30 pounds of ring bolgna, and that wasn't bad either.

This^^^^^

14 minutes ago, HSR said:

Well ALWAYS butchered our own meat. Had a buddies 75+ year old butcher grandpa teach us when we were young.

People don’t realize how quickly you can spoil it by not being careful with the hair and fat. Being clean and thorough is a must. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

People don’t realize how quickly you can spoil it by not being careful with the hair and fat. Being clean and thorough is a must. 

Exactly. I've delivered moose meat in bags for other hunters when getting sausage and stuff made and could see the hairs and sinew in the meat bags. Always made sure their shit didn't get mixed with our clean meat.

2 minutes ago, HSR said:

Exactly. I've delivered moose meat in bags for other hunters when getting sausage and stuff made and could see the hairs and sinew in the meat bags. Always made sure their shit didn't get mixed with our clean meat.

Oh man the stories I could tell you about the condition of meat from early season moose hunting.

:lol:

14 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Oh man the stories I could tell you about the condition of meat from early season moose hunting.

We've seen countless moose at southern Ont. hunters camps hanging for 3-4 days at 70*+ temps. with the fucking hide still on. The nose test always said , no good. And they still have to transport them back down south. Just gross. A few got busted.

3 minutes ago, HSR said:

We've seen countless moose at southern Ont. hunters camps hanging for 3-4 days at 70*+ temps. with the fucking hide still on. The nose test always said , no good. And they still have to transport them back down south. Just gross. A few got busted.

Early season moose need to be stuffed with ice righjt after being dressed.

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Yeah, that wouldn't be something to piss her off over for sure.  I know with my wife, the first couple of times (we're talking 20+ years ago) she was pissed at me.  But now, she doesn't even ask ... and honestly, I use ground venison maybe 1/4 of the time I make chili.  We have too much ground beef in the freezer that we get from her grandpa's / uncle's farm, so I use that way more often.

All this talk about chili, I may have to head to the store to get some ingredients to make a batch.

I'd ask you what all you use in your chili but it would more than likely turn into a pissing match on here with some....... :lol:

That's Not chili.... No one uses XY&Z in Real chili.......Real Chili is made with........ :chatter: 

:lolz:

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Jerry 976 said:

I'd ask you what all you use in your chili but it would more than likely turn into a pissing match on here with some....... :lol:

That's Not chili.... No one uses XY&Z in Real chili.......Real Chili is made with........ :chatter: 

You can guarantee whatever i put into it. Evil Bird would take issue!

:bc:

1 hour ago, HSR said:

Same with bear around here. They drive around showing off the trophy to all their buddies with 10lbs of ice in the chest cavity on an 80deg day then bitch that bear tastes like shit

3 hours ago, Jerry 976 said:

Honestly, it's not so much a recipe as it is throwing stuff together.  Although I'm originally from Wisconsin, I don't put noodles in my chili like other folks do.  I just kinda mix and match and flavor as I go.  Most times I let it sit for a day before eating.  Here, let's see if we can start a pissing match :lol2:

Ground beef (or venison)

Jar of canned tomatoes (home garden, canned = in a jar)

Can of tomato paste

Onion

Green Pepper

Jar of store bought jalpenos (like what you get when your order nachos and cheese) ... use a fair amount of the juice to spice it up

Can of chili beans (typically hot or medium)

Can of kidney beans

Seasonings = chili powder, salt, pepper, whatever I have for meat flavoring (currently using Meat Church)

Brown sugar

Serve with sour cream and shredded cheese .... saltine crackers optional

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bontz said:

Honestly, it's not so much a recipe as it is throwing stuff together.  Although I'm originally from Wisconsin, I don't put noodles in my chili like other folks do.  I just kinda mix and match and flavor as I go.  Most times I let it sit for a day before eating.  Here, let's see if we can start a pissing match :lol2:

Ground beef (or venison)

Can of tomato paste

Onion

Green Pepper

Jar of store bought jalpenos (like what you get when your order nachos and cheese) ... use a fair amount of the juice to spice it up

Can of kidney beans

Seasonings = chili powder, salt, pepper, whatever I have for meat flavoring (currently using Meat Church)

Brown sugar

:stirthepot: :whistle:

image.png.ae8d253ebe915bd463360e81ff299995.png

• Haha 1

Backstrap and loins are the only whole cuts I'll take off a deer.   Everything else goes for sausage and burger.   Burger with beef tallow added makes outstanding chili, taco's and Italian dishes.  

• Like 3

Fresh backstrap or tenderloin still warm from the harvest is tough to beat.   Lightly seasoned and lightly grilled on high heat is best.  Be honest any meat sucks overcooked and wild game even more so.

Done this a few times and its incredible.   Venison burger roll stuffed with your favorite (mine is cheese, green olives an jalapenos) rolled, wrapped with bacon and grilled or smoked.  Slice them and put them on butter grilled slider buns.   Awesome. 

deer sliders.JPG

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Bontz said:

Ground beef (or venison)

Can of tomato paste

Onion

Green Pepper

Can of kidney beans

Brown sugar

The noodle thing is from around the depression era, it was just a filler to make the chili go farther and people feeling full for just a little more money, kind of like hamburger helper

Mine chili is basically the same as yours,  ground meat, tomato's, tomato sauce, white onion, green & red bell peppers, red kidney beans beans, Chili powder, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and a table spoon of peanut butter, slow cooked for several hours. hot peppers get added after because some (Mom 91 ) can't handle the added heat........ :lolz:

• Like 2