Check your account email address ×

You Can’t Even Eat The Deer

36 minutes ago, Highmark said:

I'd guarantee a well placed shot from a .22lr will kill a deer from the correct distance.  .17hmr even further out.   It's not ethical but it could be done.

Back in the day my grandfather hunted with nothing but his 22 LR, and that was when if you didn't get a deer dinner was pretty light.... the 1940s...

• Like 2

• Gold Member

3 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Wait..it doesn’t demolish the animal?!😂

I don’t deer hunt much anymore but I’ve used pumps, bolts and levers….35 Remington, 30-30, .243, .270, 30.06….just practice and hit the animal in the right place and you’re good.👊🏻🇺🇸

Stupid gif wouldn't load. Lol

Edited by Stephen Hawking

• Platinum Contributing Member
57 minutes ago, Snake said:

Back in the day my grandfather hunted with nothing but his 22 LR, and that was when if you didn't get a deer dinner was pretty light.... the 1940s...

Hunters (mostly farmers) literally wiped out the Iowa deer population in the 30's and 40's for sustenance.   In the 50's they had to bring in trapped deer from other states to reestablish the population.   I think we traded wild turkeys for them.   Now Iowa is one of the most desired deer tags in the country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

If I had to choose any caliber to own for everything it would be the .300 wsm. Such a bad ass round. 

Looks good…just did a quick read…good ballistics in a lighter short action rifle.

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Hunters (mostly farmers) literally wiped out the Iowa deer population in the 30's and 40's for sustenance.   In the 50's they had to bring in trapped deer from other states to reestablish the population.   I think we traded wild turkeys for them.   Now Iowa is one of the most desired deer tags in the country.

My hunting buddies rather would never take deer meat,only moose meat. He grew up in a large family in rural Manitoba and said he grew up eating deer meat and had enough for his lifetime.

1 minute ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Looks good…just did a quick read…good ballistics in a lighter short action rifle.

Does everything a .300 win mag will do with less recoil , less powder and short action. It’s just a treat to shoot 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

If I had to choose any caliber to own for everything it would be the .300 wsm. Such a bad ass round. 

It was one caliber that almost pulled me away from my trusty 7mm mag. The only thing that stopped me was the price and availability of ammo in my area. Just ridiculous prices IF you can find them.

I’ve got a Model 70 Winchester 30.06 that was my dads…it’s a RH Bolt and I’m a lefty…nice gun.

I’d like to get a Browning BLR and Ruger No.1…not sure why. Maybe a 25.06 or .257 Roberts.

Edited by Jimmy Snacks

7 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Nice. Can't remember the exact model but his has an octagon barrel.

Huh , never seen one of those. Must be a special match grade model or something. They are beautiful guns. I was lucky to snag mine. It was in the local pawn shop. Left hand model. I traded him an ar15 chambered in .224 Valkyrie which I absolutely hated plus $100 going his way for it. I think I had $550 in the ar. I’m guessing this a-bolt is worth $1300-1400 now. I wish I had spent every nickel on guns 5 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Huh , never seen one of those. Must be a special match grade model or something. They are beautiful guns. I was lucky to snag mine. It was in the local pawn shop. Left hand model. I traded him an ar15 chambered in .224 Valkyrie which I absolutely hated plus $100 going his way for it. I think I had $550 in the ar. I’m guessing this a-bolt is worth $1300-1400 now. I wish I had spent every nickel on guns 5 years ago. 

You’re a lefty too…nice find!

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

You’re a lefty too…nice find!

I’ve shot right handed guns all my life until about 10 years ago I started buying a few I’m left. I’m right handed but left eye dominant. I skateboard goofy foot and shoot left but do everything else right. 

42 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I skateboard goofy

I was wondering about that :lmao: How's your backside mobius?

I just can't imagine you at a skateboard park yelling "kill yourself" at every kid that cuts you off:lol:

5 minutes ago, HSR said:

I was wondering about that :lmao: How's your backside mobius?

I just can't imagine you at a skateboard park yelling "kill yourself" at every kid that cuts you off:lol:

Well I haven’t skateboarded in over 30 years , snowboard is the same though and I’ve done that more recently lol