Check your account email address ×

Active Shooter in Maine

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, ckf said:

In this case the current laws failed. However, I don't think it would have stopped this particular case even if they had removed his guns. With his background I'm sure that he would have been able to find a gun elsewhere.

I know that it sucks. But like someone mentioned earlier, freedom has it's costs.

Freedom has costs for who?  Gun owners or school children?  Gun owners or young adults enjoying an evening out?  A gun owner or an abused spouse?  Obviously most on here prefer the cost of freedom not infringe on the gun owner at the expense of school children. So dead bodies from mass shootings are simply the cost for unfettered gun access or freedom as you say  :read:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

Liberals just can't stand the truth.

Truth is, less or no guns equals less or no mass shootings.

As others have said, there are already so many guns in Americans hands I don't see how anything would change if all gun sales were stopped today.  While there may be a few that would be willing to turn in their guns if the government asked. I'm guessing that the majority of Americans would not.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Arm yourselves and protect your family is my suggestion. :news:

Sounds like the Middle East, congrats on your progress :bc: On the bright side things will only get better right?

23 minutes ago, Cat45 said:

Anyone caught committing a violent crime with a gun life sentence, murder someone with a gun = death.

You agreeing to pay for all these people to get locked in prison for life?  Not disagreeing with you at all!  Just pointing out that all the tuff talk on locking people up comes with a HUGE cost, and yes even putting the needle in there vein!.. So when these laws are being presented the cost needs to be presented also.. Don't have the answers on this stuff, but no way gun control will do anything.. Unfortunately law's have gone soft in this country in general, and honestly its because of the cost  IMO..  Maybe we should cut off all the foreign aid and use that?  Maybe all the money spent on campaign ads for politicians.  Like MILLIONS spent on just one race for supreme court, etc.  Its as if we use all our money on foreign country's issues instead of our own? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ckf said:

How do you get there given how many are out there?

Time. It may take generations.  If people see it working more will comply. Sure youll always have the type that feels they need 30 weapons to feel safe, but eventually that mindset will change.

Just now, Steve753 said:

Time. It may take generations.  If people see it working more will comply. Sure youll always have the type that feels they need 30 weapons to feel safe, but eventually that mindset will change.

Why do you insist on gun owners being scared, and needing to "feel safe"?  Have you ever considered some people have multiple guns because they're flat out gun enthusiasts?  They spend their time on the range, and doing get-togethers with other buddies who like to shoot their guns.  It's not like every gun owner is a militia man FFS

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ckf said:

How do you get there given how many are out there?

TBH I think you'll find out. Everytime one of these "incidents" happen public opinion on gun control gains strength. The friends and family of all the victims in these are calling for change, the longer they continue, the bigger the voice will become until pro gun owners will be the minority. The abuses of second amendment rights will be it's own undoing.

You can't continue to kill your own innocent people and not expect repercussions eventually.

I'm glad it's not an issue up here and the need to carry a sidearm isn't needed to feel safe.:bc:

4 minutes ago, jonlafon1 said:

You agreeing to pay for all these people to get locked in prison for life?  Not disagreeing with you at all!  Just pointing out that all the tuff talk on locking people up comes with a HUGE cost, and yes even putting the needle in there vein!.. So when these laws are being presented the cost needs to be presented also.. Don't have the answers on this stuff, but no way gun control will do anything.. Unfortunately law's have gone soft in this country in general, and honestly its because of the cost  IMO..  Maybe we should cut off all the foreign aid and use that?  Maybe all the money spent on campaign ads for politicians.  Like MILLIONS spent on just one race for supreme court, etc.  Its as if we use all our money on foreign country's issues instead of our own? 

I'm ok with the cost, and agree with tge rest of your post 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, snoughnut said:

You're struggling just like SR.......Poor Shtevie

Golly you really showed me with such intelligent insight.

3 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Why do you insist on gun owners being scared, and needing to "feel safe"?  Have you ever considered some people have multiple guns because they're flat out gun enthusiasts?  They spend their time on the range, and doing get-togethers with other buddies who like to shoot their guns.  It's not like every gun owner is a militia man FFS

like in Switzerland?  :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Bontz said:

You've stated before that you feel safer going for a jug of milk with a gun in the glove box :dunno:

I've also never heard of you saying you spent a day "playing at the range with the boys" ??? Not even in the dinner thread :ashamed:

4 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Thats a weak argument.  Do enthusiasts carry a side arm just to show off their gun?

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

My father in law probably has over a hundred. He collects older Savage and Winchester lever action rifles. They aren't there to make him feel safe. He has shotguns and pistols for that, lol.  For me I have mostly.22 caliber long guns because I used to enjoy long distance target shooting. I have a double barrel shotgun for protection. I have never been into pistols but I still have my mother's 38 special that she always had in her nightstand somewhere around here.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

This is where anti gun people don't understand most gun owners. I have a number of guns and have people that I know have A LOT of firearms. I along with many have one or two for self defense period. The others for hunting and recreational shooting. Many gun owners have firearms that have historical value or dollar value that are never taken out of a case or safe. No different than coins or stamps etc. Some guns are pieces of art that you wouldn't shoot. I know of no one who would use their firearm against a human in anything other than a self defense situation. 

• Like 3