Check your account email address ×

23/24 Cross Country thread

9 hours ago, Palu49 said:

It’s a new race season with a new chassis and the first year in a long time they haven’t been testing since November so there could be a glimmer of hope. That being said there’s not even a single decent lap time from a catalyst on that score sheet so it looks pretty dismal so far.

Lots of new stuff to overcome.  Shocks, the ADAPT clutch is still fairly new, chassis, etc.

I'll have to ask, but I'm wondering if Paul Brown maybe had the fastest Catalyst this weekend.

9 hours ago, fortune46x said:

He won by a mile - a literal mile.

From what I heard the skidoos were running 113-115 gps mph, and the cats were only able to get 105 out of the sled (they werent getting it to shift out fully)

I can remember watching Tucker get off his sled and limp for the first few steps kind of hunched over as he walked back to his pits , it definitely takes its toll over the years.

Getting to do some ECU work really has helped the Doos this year, apparently.  Having Bryan and Betsy as your mechanics with Wes providing feedback helps a ton too.

I think Bryan is probably the best mechanic in all of XC.

Once I walked away, it probably took me a solid 2 years to get back to not having weird pops or sudden joint tightening throughout the day.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Lots of new stuff to overcome.  Shocks, the ADAPT clutch is still fairly new, chassis, etc.

I'll have to ask, but I'm wondering if Paul Brown maybe had the fastest Catalyst this weekend.

Getting to do some ECU work really has helped the Doos this year, apparently.  Having Bryan and Betsy as your mechanics with Wes providing feedback helps a ton too.

Once I walked away, it probably took me a solid 2 years to get back to not having weird pops or sudden joint tightening throughout the day.

just how many lifelong Cat racers and wrenches have we lost since the takeover?

was just watching the SX rounds I missed Saturday night... Anson Scheele ripping on a SkiDoo.  sounds weird to even say it... what's next, the Hibberts return to racing in Europe for Lynx?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

For sure! And the limited test time with the weather we’re all having definitely killed their learning period. 

Glen Arlaud might’ve been the fastest catalyst too

2 hours ago, Palu49 said:

For sure! And the limited test time with the weather we’re all having definitely killed their learning period. 

Glen Arlaud might’ve been the fastest catalyst too

Glen had well over 600 test miles on his the week before the race!

13 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Dont give that goat roper Selby any credit lol

• Like 1

They're def going to need to figure out how to get more top end out of the Catalyst that's for sure. I wonder if any are considering a torsional conversion to try and gain some (not sure if that's legal clutching or not).

I think I read that Paul was doing quite well until an electrical issue took him out of the stock race.

Edited by Premium

Zach gives a recap at the end (7:28) and basically says they haven't found the top speed they need to be competitive.  Hopefully they will find an answer!

I'm not sure what is allowed as far as changes in the stock class, but I know the Polaris Cross Country sled runs a 2.52 pitch track vs the Cat's 2.86. There's going to be a definite top speed advantage too the 2.52.

The R-XC also appears to use 8 tooth extrovert drivers...going to larger involutes would def gain mph too.

Maybe they've already done this.

Edited by Premium

37 minutes ago, Premium said:

I'm not sure what is allowed as far as changes in the stock class, but I know the Polaris Cross Country sled runs a 2.52 pitch track vs the Cat's 2.86. There's going to be a definite top speed advantage too the 2.52.

The R-XC also appears to use 8 tooth extrovert drivers...going to larger involutes would def gain mph too.

Zach has a new video up on YouTube. They will get there. Gunner was inches from winning the final, btw. On a Cat 7000. They do exist!

1 hour ago, Premium said:

It’s been that for decade and that is myth. The rxc has run a 8 tooth’s for like a decade. 

1 hour ago, ZR6000RR said:

Zach has a new video up on YouTube. They will get there. Gunner was inches from winning the final, btw. On a Cat 7000. They do exist!

And the highest finishing Catalyst finished 14th.

6 hours ago, Not greg b said:

It’s been that for decade and that is myth. The rxc has run a 8 tooth’s for like a decade. 

Which part?  There are many threads of guys documenting improved top speed numbers with larger drivers and 2.52 pitch tracks.  Lots of stage tuning back in the Firecat days. Hell I gained major speed with my 04 F7 by going to 10 tooth drivers from the stock 9 tooth, accounting for gearing too. Some guys were even putting their involutes in a lathe to true them up and picking up mph.

I agree the R-XCs have long been 8 tooth, mine included....mine has never seen above 97 mph either....

Edited by Premium
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Premium said:

a tad more... but skidoos weren't having an issue and I believe they're running 2.86P

1 hour ago, Premium said:

Which part?  There are many threads of guys documenting improved top speed numbers with larger drivers and 2.52 pitch tracks.  Lots of stage tuning back in the Firecat days. Hell I gained major speed with my 04 F7 by going to 10 tooth drivers from the stock 9 tooth, accounting for gearing too. Some guys were even putting their involutes in a lathe to true them up and picking up mph.

I agree the R-XCs have long been 8 tooth, mine included....mine has never seen above 97 mph either....

current issue imo is they're not getting 1:1 or full shift with the clutching, gearing and drivers they're running.  I have a bunch of opinions why already spelled out in the Catalyst Chassis Thread.  for max velocity on the lake I do wonder what a 2.52P 1" lug 14"w speed track would gain them?  had one on the 720 and hated it for trail riding BUT I can without a doubt say with confidence it spooled up much faster and more efficiently, easily had a higher top end and you could tell it was moving less air inside the tunnel.  it's also part of the reason I believe it overheated and cost me an expensive engine.  but, going back to the 500 racing days if my memory is correct... fast racers were running the speed tracks and a bit steeper than stock gearing and clutching. 

will be interesting to me to see if the GD Soo mods and MIRA sleds are short tracks again like in the past... anyone notice if Bunkes rocket was a 128 or still a stock 136 as comes on the 600R?  ;)

• Like 1

look under Enduro... two different tunes and the GD Soo kit with 128" rails and a shit load of parts.

https://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/team-polaris/racer-resources/ 

it's no wonder Bunke clobbered everyone in the modz class at Pine Lac 

Screenshot_20240119-061843.png

2024-soo-500-kit (1).pdf

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

a tad more... but skidoos weren't having an issue and I believe they're running 2.86P

current issue imo is they're not getting 1:1 or full shift with the clutching, gearing and drivers they're running.  I have a bunch of opinions why already spelled out in the Catalyst Chassis Thread.  for max velocity on the lake I do wonder what a 2.52P 1" lug 14"w speed track would gain them?  had one on the 720 and hated it for trail riding BUT I can without a doubt say with confidence it spooled up much faster and more efficiently, easily had a higher top end and you could tell it was moving less air inside the tunnel.  it's also part of the reason I believe it overheated and cost me an expensive engine.  but, going back to the 500 racing days if my memory is correct... fast racers were running the speed tracks and a bit steeper than stock gearing and clutching. 

will be interesting to me to see if the GD Soo mods and MIRA sleds are short tracks again like in the past... anyone notice if Bunkes rocket was a 128 or still a stock 136 as comes on the 600R?  ;)

I think the Doos are 2.86.  Aren't they also all single ply from the factory?

Yeah I'm sure the clutching needs to be dialed in.  While the primary idler bearing system works great for the average rider, I've always wondered if the constant compression secondary acts to prevent overdrive. For all out speed it's hard to beat the old Cat reverse cam button/roller secondary setup. They just work.

Edited by Premium
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Premium said:

I think the Doos are 2.86.  Aren't they also all single ply from the factory?

Yeah I'm sure the clutching needs to be dialed in.  While the idler bear system works great for the average rider, I've always wondered if the constant compression secondary acts to prevent overdrive. For all out speed it's hard to beat the old Cat reverse cam button/roller secondary setup. They just work.

team clutches have always sucked for top speed, and acceleration (drag racing at least)  the old reverse cam would work fine with the idler bearing, as long as you don't mind questionable or not working engine reverse.

One thing the idler bearing does do though is change the "gear" ratio of the clutches, and increase belt speed at the same ratio as a non idler bearing clutch

2.86 track SHOULD turn easier, and have less resistance than the same style 2.52.  252 hooks up better drag racing because you can load more steel into it.  Since I have 0 experience doing anything but drag racing and trail riding on ice,

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, krom said:

2.86 track SHOULD turn easier, and have less resistance than the same style 2.52.  252 hooks up better drag racing because you can load more steel into it.  Since I have 0 experience doing anything but drag racing and trail riding on ice,

otb, and 2.86P tracks weigh less :thumbsup:

2.52 puts more picks in the ice

if my memory is correct a few years back several of the Iron Dog :puke:teams tried 1" lug 14"W 136" 2.52P speed tracks.

https://www.hardcoresledder.com/threads/iron-dog-indy-race-sled-pics.1869462/post-20390290

based on this pic from the 2023 race and how close the rear axle outer wheels are to the edge of the track it looks as though some still are running the 14"w

Iron+Dog+Meet_Greet+2023-02-14+12.jpg?fo

it's not the pic/post/thread/article I was looking for which was a ID Kit'd Assault with a 136" but...  

https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalassets/snow/root/team-polaris/racer-resources/cross-contry/parts-and-kits/2020-600-indy-xc-137-iron-dog-upgrade-parts-list.pdf?v=75e167d4

looks like that old link still works... notice the track drive comment on P2

Edited by Crnr2Crnr