Check your account email address ×

El Niño 2023/2024 - winter is canceled

AK440

What's proven is the climate on Earth has never stayed the same.  Literally always changing.  The only thing alarming would be if the climate stopped changing.

But, sheep will be sheep 🐑

3 minutes ago, Not greg b said:

Winter came back today. Probably because I put my shovel and sled away. At least they are easy to get to 

Supposed to come back here starting Thursday evening. 1-78" possibly through Tuesday. 

1 hour ago, Sled_Hed said:

Supposed to come back here starting Thursday evening. 1-78" possibly through Tuesday. 

I saw that. They are saying 2-4 here. There is a band of lake effect sitting right over my neighborhood and we have about 3 inches of snow. 2 miles away from the lake it isn’t snowing so who knows what will happen. 

1 hour ago, mnstang said:

What's proven is the climate on Earth has never stayed the same.  Literally always changing.  The only thing alarming would be if the climate stopped changing.

But, sheep will be sheep 🐑

It’s the rate of temp rise over such a short period of time that is the issue. But, you know, being an ignorant denier is way easier. :nea:

7 hours ago, AK440 said:

Show one single scholarly article that says climate change is fake. :news:

Show one single scholarly article that says that climate change would have a 15 degree average change in one year like we just did. :news:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deephaven said:

Show one single scholarly article that says that climate change would have a 15 degree average change in one year like we just did. :news:

the biggest problem this winter from my pov was the complete lack of moisture in the atmosphere to actually create snow or rain.  it was and still is dry as a popcorn fart here, which doesn't bode well for spring melt, filling flowages and ground water tables.

El Nino... ;)

maybe we need a drought thread next? 

Confidence grows on El Niño ending, quickly replaced with La Niña 

There are several signs the current El Niño ocean condition is fading. Now the forecast confidence is also increasing that the ocean temperatures are going to cool and eventually turn into a La Niña.

El Niño is when the equatorial Pacific Ocean water becomes warmer than the long-term average. We have been in El Niño since last year. The strong El Niño is likely one of the reasons we’ve just had the warmest winter on record in Michigan. Of course we have the warming globe as an additional reason for a warm winter. 

The El Niño experts at NOAA are now finding much colder water just below the water surface at the Equator. They say this colder water is working its way to the surface and will soon replace the warm El Niño waters.

Below is the chance of El Niño, neutral conditions and La Niña from now to October, November and December. Notice by June, July, August there is a 63 percent chance of La Niña taking over. By this fall there is an 83 percent chance of a La Niña.

Why does the switch from El Niño to La Niña matter? Remember this large area of water with either warm or cold temperatures influences the upper-air flow around the northern Hemisphere. The effects are mostly felt in winter. The El Niño is notorious for mild winters in the Great Lakes. La Niña is somewhat opposite in that it can help a colder than normal winter form.

https://www.mlive.com/weather/2024/03/confidence-grows-on-el-nino-ending-quickly-replaced-with-la-nina.html

it is sorta funny how this turned into a climate change/global warming thread, I almost considered getting an electric snowmobile to save the planet. :lol:

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

the biggest problem this winter from my pov was the complete lack of moisture in the atmosphere to actually create snow or rain.  it was and still is dry as a popcorn fart here, which doesn't bode well for spring melt, filling flowages and ground water tables.

El Nino... ;)

maybe we need a drought thread next? 

Last summer was a super bad drought also and it basically continued through the winter.  These things happen.  I think it was the 1930's where there was a ~10 year drought that was pretty brutal "the dust bowl".  I can only imagine the bleeding heart propaganda we'd have to go through if we went on a ten year run like that today.

• Like 3

Confidence grows on El Niño ending, quickly replaced with La Niña 

There are several signs the current El Niño ocean condition is fading. Now the forecast confidence is also increasing that the ocean temperatures are going to cool and eventually turn into a La Niña.

El Niño is when the equatorial Pacific Ocean water becomes warmer than the long-term average. We have been in El Niño since last year. The strong El Niño is likely one of the reasons we’ve just had the warmest winter on record in Michigan. Of course we have the warming globe as an additional reason for a warm winter. 

The El Niño experts at NOAA are now finding much colder water just below the water surface at the Equator. They say this colder water is working its way to the surface and will soon replace the warm El Niño waters.

Below is the chance of El Niño, neutral conditions and La Niña from now to October, November and December. Notice by June, July, August there is a 63 percent chance of La Niña taking over. By this fall there is an 83 percent chance of a La Niña.

Why does the switch from El Niño to La Niña matter? Remember this large area of water with either warm or cold temperatures influences the upper-air flow around the northern Hemisphere. The effects are mostly felt in winter. The El Niño is notorious for mild winters in the Great Lakes. La Niña is somewhat opposite in that it can help a colder than normal winter form.

https://www.mlive.com/weather/2024/03/confidence-grows-on-el-nino-ending-quickly-replaced-with-la-nina.html

it is sorta funny how this turned into a climate change/global warming thread, I almost considered getting an electric snowmobile to save the planet. :lol:

Huh!  It's almost like there's ebbs and flows and things balance out in the end.  Like the winter before when we set snowfall records or the fact that our 5 year average, including this winter, is still above historical average.  Huh!  

Huh!

• Like 1

Just think if AK sourpuss lived by the ocean.  Every time the tide would come in it's ahhhhh waterworld we are all going to die!!  And every time itd go out he'd be moving his tent shanty further out on the beach.  

Not much of a big picture guy.  Just a sad reactionary sheep 🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑🐑 so sad 😿 sadcat440 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Huh!  It's almost like there's ebbs and flows and things balance out in the end.  Like the winter before when we set snowfall records or the fact that our 5 year average, including this winter, is still above historical average.  Huh!  

Huh!

:lol:

53 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

:lol:

Slide rails and double wishbone suspension.  Wonder where they came up with that...............................

28 minutes ago, mnstang said:

Slide rails and double wishbone suspension.  Wonder where they came up with that...............................

Bolens probably :lol:

I thought you'd enjoy the theme of it... :)

18 minutes ago, Bontz said:

I guess that's climate change :whistle:

definitely changed... was near seventy last week.  must be the start of global cooling??¿¿ 

:dunno:

Global warming is over and now we're heading into an ice age, just look at the weather today.  It is our job to counteract this by riding our polluting snowmobiles every time the climate changes to ice age mode.  It's a constantly changing climate change.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mnstang said:

Global warming is over and now we're heading into an ice age, just look at the weather today.  It is our job to counteract this by riding our polluting snowmobiles every time the climate changes to ice age mode.  It's a constantly changing climate change.

Might just to get to break in my 129 ATAC Catalyst. 1.5 acres. How many rounds will it take? Probably not enough time to break in my Klims boots. Well they are a poop subsidie, so failure is imminent. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

Might just to get to break in my 129 ATAC Catalyst. 1.5 acres. How many rounds will it take? Probably not enough time to break in my Klims boots. Well they are a poop subsidie, so failure is imminent. 

Don't hurt yourself.

• Haha 1

are you getting this in Waupaca as well @AK440

our backyard deer are like :wtf:

real shame it didn't do this all winter... :sad:

IMG_20240324_174235940.jpg

IMG_20240324_174258049.jpg

Should I ship you a bag of corn?  Next day air before it all melts?