Check your account email address ×

The future of American housing

3 hours ago, SkisNH said:

Why would they want it more expensive?  People would just stick build. 

3D printed is stronger than concrete block, it's a no Brainer in hurricane or tornado zones. The thermal mass makes it very efficient in cold climates...everything else will be much faster as the building will be perfectly plumb and square. No more nail pops and call backs because the lumber shrank or settled. I truly believe this is the future.  

I didn't say anything about want, but things always seem to get more expensive not cheaper.  The real question is if they can get the same or more won't they?

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 hours ago, smokin george said:

Yes and a small vanity as well. Main floor will have a master bdrm/ ensuite, spare bdrm and guest bathroom. What is normally the front of the house will be the back of the house and we're putting a driveway back there for unloading groceries etc. The washer/dryer room then closet then a walk in pantry then kitchen. The living room will have a wood burning fireplace and and a partial vaulted ceiling. On each end of the house will be a covered porch with one being screened. The deck is 40x12 and a great view of the lake. The attached garage we switched to the right side

20220303_120340_001.jpg

Looks like a damn nice place and you have it well thought out.  Congrats! 

I put two bathrooms in the basement - 1 with a sink, urinal, and toilet for the bar and entertaining.  The other with a 4’ shower, sink and toilet to serve two bedrooms.  My thought process was guests and/or kids have their own bathroom that nobody else needs to use. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SnowRider said:

Looks like a damn nice place and you have it well thought out.  Congrats! 

I put two bathrooms in the basement - 1 with a sink, urinal, and toilet for the bar and entertaining.  The other with a 4’ shower, sink and toilet to serve two bedrooms.  My thought process was guests and/or kids have their own bathroom that nobody else needs to use. 

The wife's craft room (15×13) can double as a bdrm for guests with an inflatable airbed or they can sleep in the garage lol. 

17 minutes ago, smokin george said:

The wife's craft room (15×13) can double as a bdrm for guests with an inflatable airbed or they can sleep in the garage lol. 

My old man used to say...don't make the guest to comfortable, they will want to stay.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, smokin george said:

The basement walls are done and pouring the floor/garage sometime next week. The builder is a good friend and the quote ( turnkey) is business. He lives on the lake, starts early and even works on weekends and all we do is make sure there's water and pop in the little fridge that we have there. They don't touch the beer.

20230924_125706.jpg

ICF is what I'd do next for my shop.

Long construction time is the only major drawback.

Seen them take years from footings to completion....normally it's the end user acting as GC and more as to why.

Edited by Voodoo

4 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

ICF is what I'd do next for my shop.

Long construction time is the only major drawback.

Seen them take years from footings to completion....normally it's the end user acting as GC and more as to why.

We're into our 5th week sofar. 1st week was cutting all the trees down,moving them out of the way and start digging for the footings. There were some serious boulders/rocks under there. 2nd week was digging,measuring etc for the footings then pouring. 3rd week building the frost wall/rebar and pouring. 4th week was putting in the sewage/plumbing and getting the well drilled. 5th week they're leveling the gravel and putting in the rebar or whatever and pouring tomorrow at 8am.

2 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We're into our 5th week sofar. 1st week was cutting all the trees down,moving them out of the way and start digging for the footings. There were some serious boulders/rocks under there. 2nd week was digging,measuring etc for the footings then pouring. 3rd week building the frost wall/rebar and pouring. 4th week was putting in the sewage/plumbing and getting the well drilled. 5th week they're leveling the gravel and putting in the rebar or whatever and pouring tomorrow at 8am.

I forgot lol. Basement walls are up and poured ,septic tank is in,weeping tile around the house is in and backfield. Lower doors/windows are ordered as well

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SkisNH said:

Can I suggest you insulate the floor and install pex for radiant...it's only an extra couple of grand and you won't be disappointed. 

X2

I almost didn't do infloor in the shop and office. Dual zones.

Unbelievable how awesome it is. Vans come in overnight, doors are always open and the groomer comes in weekly or better for repairs and thawing out. $100 a month on natural gas, or less if I get off my ass and feed the wood boiler. Can heat from either or both.

One small drawback, around this time of year. 75 daytime, 45 overnight, if I use the infloor.

The concrete stays warm thru the day and it gets hot in the office, so I tend to leave it off.

I just heat the office with space heaters for the wife, until it stays cold enough thru the day it's not an issue.

Edited by Voodoo
  • Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, SkisNH said:

My old man used to say...don't make the guest to comfortable, they will want to stay.

When I bought my 1st house in Fitzwilliam I needed a bed for the guestroom. Went to a place that had a matress sale going on. The one advertised was a POS . typical bait and switch. Dude said " um , that one is real uncomfortable" 

I told him, it's for a guestroom. I dont want them comfortable

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold Member
On 9/25/2023 at 12:54 AM, smokin george said:

The basement walls are done and pouring the floor/garage sometime next week. The builder is a good friend and the quote ( turnkey) is business. He lives on the lake, starts early and even works on weekends and all we do is make sure there's water and pop in the little fridge that we have there. They don't touch the beer.

20230924_125706.jpg

Nice looks good. I haven’t seen many of the houses being built with icf foundations around here at least the ones you can see from driving by just one and it’s the concrete companies shop. Seems it be a no brainer in a cold climate.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

Nice looks good. I haven’t seen many of the houses being built with icf foundations around here at least the ones you can see from driving by just one and it’s the concrete companies shop. Seems it be a no brainer in a cold climate.

Our builder prefers ICF and we've been to his last 3 builds throughout different stages of the builds to completion. He is fussy and his main guy is meticulous so we're in good hands. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
51 minutes ago, smokin george said:

Our builder prefers ICF and we've been to his last 3 builds throughout different stages of the builds to completion. He is fussy and his main guy is meticulous so we're in good hands. 

I bet he prefers it and the concrete crew lol. It’s gotta be a lot less labor putting up foam blocks than lifting heavy forms and it’s better end result if you’re going for energy efficiency.

3 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I bet he prefers it and the concrete crew lol. It’s gotta be a lot less labor putting up foam blocks than lifting heavy forms and it’s better end result if you’re going for energy efficiency.

Energy efficient, airtight and definately solid. Too bad we don't qualify for the heat pump rebates here on a new build. We're going with all LED lighting, propane stove so most of the power usage will be from the  heat pumps,dishwasher, washer and dryer whenever they're being used. The weather here isn't that bad during winter and the wood burning fireplace can provide some heat as well. We have plenty of trees to buck/split so getting wood won't be a problem

• Like 1