Check your account email address ×

The future of American housing

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

Only the elite will be able to afford a normal house everyone else gets a tiny box crammed into a subdivision. I actually wouldn’t mind one of these if it was on a decent lot 10ac or more.

My next home will be a tiny house. Not in a city though. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
Just now, spin_dry said:

My next home will be a tiny house. Not in a city though. 

Those tiny homes built on flat deck trailers are pricey. You either have to get it delivered or have at least a one ton to tow them. I'm always amazed what they do with such little space.

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

Those tiny homes built on flat deck trailers are pricey. You either have to get it delivered or have at least a one ton to tow them. I'm always amazed what they do with such little space.

It’ll be a small living quarters with a garage to house the van and tools. No/low maintenance yard. I’m hooked on the nomadic lifestyle. Zero desire to be tied down to a big house with tons of acreage. Going back to having a bunch of shit would feel like suffocation. 

Edited by spin_dry
  • Like 2

Just now, spin_dry said:

It’ll be a small living quarters with a garage to house the van and tools. No/low maintenance yard. I’m hooked on the nomadic lifestyle. Zero desire to be tied down to a big house with tons of acreage 

I don't blame you. You ever thought of heading to South America? I've done a little riding there, not as much as I'd like though.

4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I don't blame you. You ever thought of heading to South America? I've done a little riding there, not as much as I'd like though.

I’ve thought about Argentina. Especially with the potential changes with dollarization of the country. Between the low cost of living combined with life enjoyment, it’s tough to beat the good ole USA. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

It’ll be a small living quarters with a garage to house the van and tools. No/low maintenance yard. I’m hooked on the nomadic lifestyle. Zero desire to be tied down to a big house with tons of acreage. Going back to having a bunch of shit would feel like suffocation. 

you'd love my buddies pole barn / apartment.  

Love to be able to go back and build a Shouse or Bardominium instead of my house and shop. 

Lots of Silent Generation and Boomers still living in homes that will be dying in the next decade or so.   

Eventually having sustained interest rates above say 5% will help too.

Edited by Highmark

70 million boomers that 80% own or are in their own homes.   That's at least 28 million homes. 

Add in plenty in the Silent Generation and there will be a lot of homes coming on the market in the next 15-20 years. 

I'm dumbfounded how many 80 yo's I know living in their own home.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Highmark said:

70 million boomers that 80% own or are in their own homes.   That's at least 28 million homes. 

Add in plenty in the Silent Generation and there will be a lot of homes coming on the market in the next 15-20 years. 

there'll be a lot of homes being sold when the boomers are gone... by their children or grandchildren, which there's less of.   this sounds like a math problem I'm not in the mood to tackle at the moment but at some point I'd assume there might be an overabundance.   being in the rental market I've learned there's a lot of people in this world that just aren't cut out for home ownership.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

there'll be a lot of homes being sold when the boomers are gone... by their children or grandchildren, which there's less of.   this sounds like a math problem I'm not in the mood to tackle at the moment but at some point I'd assume there might be an overabundance.   being in the rental market I've learned there's a lot of people in this world that just aren't cut out for home ownership.  

No different than vehicles the "standard" home has changed so much over the past 10-20 years.  In my area that use to be a 1200 sq/ft ranch (24x50) with a 24x24 2 car attached garage.   Absolutely nothing is being built like that anymore around here.  Its foolish to try and compare the "average home" price from 20 years ago to today even with inflation adjustments.   They simply aren't comparable.  

No question home prices have skyrocketed but there are lots of reasons besides supply.  

I do think there is some concern with the average age of carpenters growing by around a decade in the last decade.  

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Highmark said:

No different than vehicles the "standard" home has changed so much over the past 10-20 years.  In my area that use to be a 1200 sq/ft ranch (24x50) with a 24x24 2 car attached garage.   Absolutely nothing is being built like that anymore around here.  Its foolish to try and compare the "average home" price from 20 years ago to today even with inflation adjustments.   They simply aren't comparable.  

No question home prices have skyrocketed but there are lots of reasons besides supply.  

I do think there is some concern with the average age of carpenters growing by around a decade in the last decade.  

:thumbsup:

reminds me of the size of the average American... 

2XL is the new medium 

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

👍 perfect retirement set up in my mind anyway very small no maintenance house and van/small rv to travel and enjoy retirement. No way in a development like the video though.

21 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

2XL is the new medium 

Be better to compare ave cost per finished square foot not total home price.  Still gone way up but more comparable. 

25 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Be better to compare ave cost per finished square foot not total home price.  Still gone way up but more comparable. 

was agreeing with you on the average footprint... homes have just gotten bigger and bigger.  when we built in 2005 I insisted we stay under a certain square footage as bigger isn't necessarily better but still spent quite a bit going with a high end builder, over building and using higher end materials/finish.  in 2009, our builder who was the president of the local home builders association began getting more requests for reasonable sized well finished homes as ours was the only one on his website that wasn't 6000sq+ and $1m+ 

Larry retired a few years ago and sold the company.  Great guy.

https://www.larrymeyerconstruction.com/

35 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

👍 perfect retirement set up in my mind anyway very small no maintenance house and van/small rv to travel and enjoy retirement. No way in a development like the video though.

My daughter and son in law sold their home in an affluent Minneapolis suburb and pocketed the cash. They made out like criminals on the sale. They took my advice and adopted part of my lifestyle and dramatically downsized with tons of cash in the bank. They’ve never been more relaxed and satisfied with life. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Highmark said:

My grandma is 96 and still lives by herself. 

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

2XL is the new medium 

I resemble that comment. :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spin_dry said:

My daughter and son in law sold their home in an affluent Minneapolis suburb and pocketed the cash. They made out like criminals on the sale. They took my advice and adopted part of my lifestyle and dramatically downsized with tons of cash in the bank. They’ve never been more relaxed and satisfied with life. 

I started my retirement backing down already!  :lolz:

Taking less freelance jobs this year and working on the estate more.  I am in a lot better shape than many mortgage holders though, so that helps tremendously.

Neal

Just now, NaturallyAspirated said:

I started my retirement backing down already!  :lolz:

Taking less freelance jobs this year and working on the estate more.  I am in a lot better shape than many mortgage holders though, so that helps tremendously.

Neal

Lots of people have more money than time remaining. 

Just now, spin_dry said:

Lots of people have more money than time remaining. 

Thats always a tough one. Dont want to being spending the golden yrs in poverty. Also dont want to be the richest guy in the cemetary.

• Like 2

Those tiny homes are fantastic. My son is in a 550 sqft apartment on the 10th floor of a high rise in Calgary and he's paying $1750/month rent plus utilities. He could buy the unit he lives in for $260k, Canadian dollars, which is cheap compared to Ontario prices.

He would be all over something like this but you couldn't build that in Canada.

• Confused 1

Fuck tiny homes.  We downsized a little over a year ago to 2700sq. ft.  That is the absolute minimum I would ever want to live in at least until my brain is as mushy as bidentards. 

It is on a city lot in a decent development where all my neighbors have been great people.  I was burned out mowing 2 acres of grass and tending to a pool for the past 20 years.  Love my postage stamp yard that I can pull out the zero turn and mow in ten minutes flat including blowing the clippings off the drive and sidewalk.

If we get claustrophobic we head to the lake house and get all the wilderness we want for three seasons out of the year when all the summer rats are gone.  Life is good. 

• Like 1