Check your account email address ×

With 9-11 Looming

• Platinum Contributing Member

On 9 September 2001, one of the most significant events in modern military history occurred just 48 hours prior to the attacks of Sept 11th. Legendary Afghan guerrilla leader Ahmad Shah Massoud was assassinated by two al-Qaeda operatives posing as journalists. While they set up a camera to record the interview, they detonated explosives in its battery pack, killing one of the most brilliant military leaders in history.

Praised by the Wall Street Journal in 1992 as, “The Afghan Who Won the Cold War,” the “Lion of Panjshir” was the most effective mujahideen commander in the fight against the Soviets. He famously noted, “there are only two things the Afghan must have, the Quran and the Stingers.” Following the defeat of the Soviets he was appointed the Minister of Defense in the new Islamic State of Afghanistan before once again taking up arms to oppose the Taliban. Massoud led the United Islamic Front for the Salvation of Afghanistan (Northern Alliance), the force that would take Kabul and oust the Taliban from power in the name of their martyred commander alongside U.S. military and intelligence personnel just months after his death.

In April 2001 he spoke to the European Parliament in France, warning of an al-Qaeda plot to attack the United States that would make the destruction of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania pale by comparison.

I often wonder what Afghan national politics would look like had Massoud taken his place as a leader in a post 9/11 world? Would we have left in defeat? Would the Taliban be in power today? We will never know...

“Death is better than life in humiliation.”
- Ahmad Shah Massoud

IMG_1864.thumb.jpeg.b9125fe5338c1983b6fc976068feb770.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

and I will be on the same stretch of highway at the same time as that fateful day. WILL NEVER FORGET

Can't forget 9/11, I think of it often. 
I remember when Massoud was killed. 

My daughter will be doing the 9/11 challenge in the AM with her 35 lb vest, on a stair stepper unfortunately, but she'll be doing it nontheless.

• Like 3

As poor as my memory seems to be getting, that day will be always be fresh in my mind.  I can still hear the KQ Morning Crew and Tom Barnard, during my commute, talking about the first plane and how crazy it was to think a plane could fly into the WTC ... and then the second one hit.  "This isn't an accident, we're under attack" - it was a statement along those lines, and it still gets the emotions going for me.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bontz said:

As poor as my memory seems to be getting, that day will be always be fresh in my mind.  I can still hear the KQ Morning Crew and Tom Barnard, during my commute, talking about the first plane and how crazy it was to think a plane could fly into the WTC ... and then the second one hit.  "This isn't an accident, we're under attack" - it was a statement along those lines, and it still gets the emotions going for me.

I pulled into a rest area to see what was happening and watched the second plane hit live, 100 or so people standing around the TV, you could hear a pin drop, remember seeing smoke when I got to Albany 

• Sad 1

I slept in because I had to register a truck I bought. My wife woke me up saying a plane had hit the WTC. We watched the 2nd plane hit. Went to DMV and everyone was glued to a small tube TV in the hallway. Drove to my job at a HD shop and we watched TV pretty much all day every day for what seems like months. Didn't have much for customers for a long time. 

Those images and feelings are still very close to the surface.

Life went in a different direction that day.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 01mxz800 said:

I pulled into a rest area to see what was happening and watched the second plane hit live, 100 or so people standing around the TV, you could hear a pin drop, remember seeing smoke when I got to Albany 

I used to have several trucks a day come from NYC to my depot.  That stopped for a week,nothing in or out.  After about a week I had to send one of my trucks in to pickup product.  Driver said he pulled into Long Island City and it looked like a war zone, with destroyers out in the bay, helicopter gun ships patrolling, etc..

My friend's sister worked in one of the towers and she died that day.... Yeah I'll never forget.    Plus we could smell the smoke and jet fuel in our area for a short time the following day with the wind trajectory.   

He also lost his brother about a year later to an opioid overdose.... That family has gone through hell can't even imagine what the parents felt..... Losing two children in about a year

On 9/9/2023 at 3:53 PM, Jimmy Snacks said:

I often wonder what Afghan national politics would look like had Massoud taken his place as a leader in a post 9/11 world? Would we have left in defeat? Would the Taliban be in power today? We will never know...

I don't think it would have made a difference.   Simply too much corruption, tribal and religious zealot politics in much of that country.   He was an amazing leader but not significant enough to make the changes needed.  

No doubt Bin Laden had him killed as he knew the US would soon be waging war in Afghanistan. 

Edited by Highmark

12 hours ago, Bontz said:

I was a couple weeks in to tech school at CLC Staples. We went to the cafeteria for morning break  at about 9 or 9:30 and people were gathered in front of the tv. Couple military guys left immediately thinking they were going to war. It had an effect on my choice of career by putting a hurt on that particular field.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Fake news having a hard time with Trump predicting 911 a year and a half before the attack.  Even named Bin Ladin.

https://rumble.com/v3guczi-donald-trump-predicted-911-a-year-before-the-attacks.html

So he mustve been in on it. Or does that only count for everyone else but Trump? Cough cough Fauci.

Massoud was asking for US military assistance before he was assassinated by Bin Laden. His death more less sealed the fate of Afghanistan because Massoud was the only one that could bring the northern alliance together. A brilliant strategic move by Bin Laden only days before 9/11. Just months before his murder, the Bush administration gave. $45 million grant to the taliban for drug interdiction efforts. Some shit you just can’t make up  

Edited by spin_dry
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 3:53 PM, Jimmy Snacks said:

On 9 September 2001, one of the most significant events in modern military history occurred just 48 hours prior to the attacks of Sept 11th. Legendary Afghan guerrilla leader Ahmad Shah Massoud was assassinated by two al-Qaeda operatives posing as journalists. While they set up a camera to record the interview, they detonated explosives in its battery pack, killing one of the most brilliant military leaders in history.

Praised by the Wall Street Journal in 1992 as, “The Afghan Who Won the Cold War,” the “Lion of Panjshir” was the most effective mujahideen commander in the fight against the Soviets. He famously noted, “there are only two things the Afghan must have, the Quran and the Stingers.” Following the defeat of the Soviets he was appointed the Minister of Defense in the new Islamic State of Afghanistan before once again taking up arms to oppose the Taliban. Massoud led the United Islamic Front for the Salvation of Afghanistan (Northern Alliance), the force that would take Kabul and oust the Taliban from power in the name of their martyred commander alongside U.S. military and intelligence personnel just months after his death.

In April 2001 he spoke to the European Parliament in France, warning of an al-Qaeda plot to attack the United States that would make the destruction of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania pale by comparison.

“Death is better than life in humiliation.”
- Ahmad Shah Massoud

IMG_1864.thumb.jpeg.b9125fe5338c1983b6fc976068feb770.jpeg

Massoud had the respect of the elders throughout the Pashtun valley. He could have created alliances between the various tribes and the US military. Months could’ve been saved in creating these alliances. His death threw the entire tribal alliance into disarray. A huge obstacle for the US and its counterparts during the occupation phase. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Fake news having a hard time with Trump predicting 911 a year and a half before the attack.  Even named Bin Ladin.

https://rumble.com/v3guczi-donald-trump-predicted-911-a-year-before-the-attacks.html

Well bil laden was a well known terrorist at the time and they did put bombs in the building in 1993....they vowed to come back and take down the building.  

Now I doubt he predicted it, but I bet the well connected a d building owners had many discussions about the possibility of terrorism.

Haha I clearly didn't watch the video before posting...

Edited by SkisNH
Watched the video

I remember it well, was standing in my transmission shop talking to a buddy when the news said the first plane hit.

went and got a tv and hooked it up and was watching when the second plane hit. Then they started falling after a while.

it was like watching a movie and couldn’t really get my head around it. 

although im not American, the rage that day that i felt set the tone to the way i still feel today.

ill keep my words limited but I’m sure alot of people feel the same 

• Like 3