Check your account email address ×

Social security at 62?

I'm waiting until at least 66.5. I'm quite a bit older than my wife and would want her to have my larger monthly amount should I croak before her plus at 65 I'm still earning a good paycheck from my business which I still enjoy getting up in the morning to go to.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, J. Jackson said:

I'm waiting until at least 66.5. I'm quite a bit older than my wife and would want her to have my larger monthly amount should I croak before her plus at 65 I'm still earning a good paycheck from my business which I still enjoy getting up in the morning to go to.

Should you croak, your wife could start with your SS as early as age 60. Then she can wait until age 67 or even age 70 to allow hers to mature. Then she can switch to hers. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

I took it at 62. Got a almost 9% raise in January.

The benefit compounds at around 8% per year until you take it or age 70, and they all got that same additional raise.  Plus there are limitations on earned income.  Its a personal decision certainly, values, goals and lifestyle play a huge part in the decision.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

I plan on taking it next May when I turn 62.... I really don't need the money but I'm not going to wait. Here today gone tomorrow is my motto.  You just never know.  Plus they've been talking about SS drying up ever since I was a kid... Maybe that will finally come to fruition..so I'm grabbing my share while I can.

• Like 6

Maybe Spin would know... Seems pretty knowledgeable about this topic. If wife passes before I do, can I switch to her SS or am I locked in once I take my own?  Hers is higher as she waited longer to draw. 

1 minute ago, 800renegaderider said:

I’ll take it at 62 rather have it while I’m still able to use it. Hell I’d retire long before that it we could get some Medicare for all. Insurance likely be the only thing keeping me working.

It doesn’t have to be that way but you know….:snack:

9 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Maybe Spin would know... Seems pretty knowledgeable about this topic. If wife passes before I do, can I switch to her SS or am I locked in once I take my own?  Hers is higher as she waited longer to draw. 

You can take hers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Taking SS at 62 is a bad deal for most, who live to normal life expectancies.  

Fuck that, take that shit at 62 because the days are numbered when you're north of 60. Besides, SS should be hooker and blow money for many anyway.

12 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I plan on taking it next May when I turn 62.... I really don't need the money but I'm not going to wait. Here today gone tomorrow is my motto.  You just never know.  Plus they've been talking about SS drying up ever since I was a kid... Maybe that will finally come to fruition..so I'm grabbing my share while I can.

I agree 100%

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

You can switch to hers at a later date. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

I’ll take it at 62 rather have it while I’m still able to use it. Hell I’d retire long before that it we could get some Medicare for all. Insurance likely be the only thing keeping me working.

Yeah.... that's how I feel as well.  I'm fortunate enough where this will all be play money to me. Will use it for traveling, vacationing, etc. while we are both still healthy to do so.  In my situation it just doesn't make sense to wait.

20 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I started survivor benefits from my wife at 60. I’m investing the benefit. I’ll wait until age 70 and switch to my benefits for nice increase. 

Edited by spin_dry
  • Like 1

• Gold Member
2 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yeah.... that's how I feel as well.  I'm fortunate enough where this will all be play money to me. Will use it for traveling, vacationing, etc. while we are both still healthy to do so.  In my situation it just doesn't make sense to wait.

I think most feel this way. It’s nothing more than greed to wait to take it to me over a few hundo screw that.

Just now, 800renegaderider said:

I think most feel this way. It’s nothing more than greed to wait to take it to me over a few hundo screw that.

For some people that few hundo is the difference of a lifetime.

Sounds like everyone here is pretty squared away, not everyone was so fortunate.