Check your account email address ×

any professional landscapers or arborists here?

surrounding the perimeter of our yard we have few a few hundred little maples and oaks I need to either dig out or lop off (again) and the wife asked if we could dig them out and transplant them up at the cottage.  the ground right now is dry like cement and it sounds like a ginormous pita but I said I'd ask the smartest people on the gdamn Internet what they think. 

the first pic is just white oak acorns off the deck from this evening which the deer and squirrels love, and there's thousands more of them in the yard.  

thoughts?:dunno:

IMG_20230901_183825624_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230901_183519463_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230901_183506385_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230901_183448240_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230901_183441026_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230901_183428565_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230901_183420707_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230901_183402965_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230901_183350133_HDR.jpg

• Gold Member

No professional but I’ve transplanted plenty of crap over the years. My wife’s parents are nut jobs with landscaping just a ridiculous amount of everything you can imagine in their yard. When we’ve taken a few shrubs and lilacs and whatnot from them so they could switch it up lol we always just put them in a big 55 gallon trash bag soak the shit outta the root ball and drive em up to our place.

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Like 1

Just now, 800renegaderider said:

No professional but I’ve transplanted plenty of crap over the years. My wife’s parents are nut jobs with landscaping just a ridiculous amount of everything you can imagine in their yard. When we’ve taken a few shrubs and lilacs and whatnot from them so they could switch it up lol we always just put them in a big 55 gallon trash bag soak the shit outta the root bag and drive em up to our place.

Look at the trees in his pics , he’d need a 30 ton excavator to uproot them without killing them 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I can just picture Caren digging away at a 6” tree cause his wife wants him to move it lol

Yeah, he ain't moving those no way:lol:......the little seedlings he can move all he wants without much issues. Some will take, some won't.

1 minute ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

Yeah, he ain't moving those no way:lol:......the little seedlings he can move all he wants without much issues. Some will take, some won't.

It just looks like undergrowth but maybe those are little trees , fuck just take the lawnmower to that shit man 

45 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You wanna transplant a 6” diameter maple tree without killing it???? 

:lol: god damn what a retard 

yes, and I'll rip them clean out of the ground with two fingers... after it rains for a month.

14 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Maybe I’m wrong too lol

typical... yes the tiny little fellas beneath the trees that are bigger than your biceps 

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It just looks like undergrowth but maybe those are little trees , fuck just take the lawnmower to that shit man 

I have numerous times in the past... :lol:

this is not a project I'm remotely interested in, but WOMEN!!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I only shot along the edge of the cement like lawn... there's thousands of them behind the house. 

maybe I'll suggest buying one of those $100k 3/4T trucks with high sides to transport them in and squash her dreams.... like day #2 of our marriage when she figured out I'm unchangeable.  :)

I've had better luck with the maples than oaks.  Smaller the better.  I've had way better luck pot growing the oaks from the nut for two years then put them in the ground.  Shoved plenty of nuts in the ground over the years with decent success too.

11 hours ago, f7ben said:

Maybe I’m wrong too lol

Buddy of ours bought an old farm from an estate in VT.  It came with one of those "spaders" (?) think thats what it was called.  Was on a trailer, you just maneuver it into place, and you could dig up like an 8" tree with this thing no problem.  But getting it to the new location is the problem.  Something like this....

maxresdefault.jpg

34 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Buddy of ours bought an old farm from an estate in VT.  It came with one of those "spaders" (?) think thats what it was called.  Was on a trailer, you just maneuver it into place, and you could dig up like an 8" tree with this thing no problem.  But getting it to the new location is the problem.  Something like this....

maxresdefault.jpg

Yup , some trees will live and others won’t. They have different root structures. I had a big Apple tree my buddy transplanted. He brought over an 80,000lb excavator and dug all around it and the picked it up. The tree lived but took years to really start to flourish at all. 

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Yup , some trees will live and others won’t. They have different root structures. I had a big Apple tree my buddy transplanted. He brought over an 80,000lb excavator and dug all around it and the picked it up. The tree lived but took years to really start to flourish at all. 

More bother than its worth if you ask me.  

12 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I only shot along the edge of the cement like lawn... there's thousands of them behind the house. 

maybe I'll suggest buying one of those $100k 3/4T trucks with high sides to transport them in and squash her dreams.... like day #2 of our marriage when she figured out I'm unchangeable.  :)

Concrete

Looks like my yard. Every 5 years I hack off all the overhanging branches and take out the small up to 4” trees on the edge of the woods. I have done it 4 times and I would just pile all the branches in the woods. I will be calling someone to cut and chip soon. Fuck that shit.